• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Northern Lights Brighten Heritage Comics!

54 posts in this topic

We are not putting Northen Lights on the label. Who said we were?

Heritage can call a collection anything they want to. They did that with the White Rose collection and we never put that on the label.

What about Mile High II ? Dallas Stephens? Nic Cage?

It would be great to know what criteria CGC uses to determine whether a given "mass submission" garners a Pedigree appellation, or a "From the Collection of" designation.

It would be great to know what criteria CGC uses to determine whether a given "mass submission" garners a Pedigree appellation, or a "From the Collection of" designation.

I already told you. Steve said on these boards that if Chuck Rozanski spends enough money with them CGC will put whatever notation he wants on the label. You people think I'm making this [#@$%!!!] up or what? confused-smiley-013.gif

Seems like a non-issue. There's an obvious distinction between "pedigree" and "collection". In cases where CGC does agree to put "so-and-so's collection" on the label, they place it in a different area than a pedigree designation(center of the label rather than the far right).

As for Heritage, it's an auction house's job to hype items in their upcoming auctions.

"As for Heritage, it's an auction house's job to hype items in their upcoming auctions"

Your right, but after the Jim Halperin thread,& buyers commision ,Bidding on their own books;& maybe Pressing issues,something smells funny to me;as I said in a earilier thread. And it ain't old comic books!!! Myself I'll stick with reputable dealers who have been in the hobby for years,James Payette, Harley Yee, Steve& Vinnie at Metropolis,Ted Van Liew,Bob Storms,never bought off of him ,but his rep. is impeccable!! Etc.

"As for Heritage, it's an auction house's job to hype items in their upcoming auctions"

Your right, but after the Jim Halperin thread,& buyers commision ,Bidding on their own books;& maybe Pressing issues,something smells funny to me;as I said in a earilier thread. And it ain't old comic books!!! Myself I'll stick with reputable dealers who have been in the hobby for years,James Payette, Harley Yee, Steve& Vinnie at Metropolis,Ted Van Liew,Bob Storms,never bought off of him ,but his rep. is impeccable!! Etc.

Yes, all that other stuff is pretty suspect. Don't blame you there.

I already told you. Steve said on these boards that if Chuck Rozanski spends enough money with them CGC will put whatever notation he wants on the label. You people think I'm making this [#@$%!!!] up or what? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, I absolutely believe you. I was trying elicit a more detailed response from Steve B. re: this issue. He has a publicist's knack for answering parts of questions in such a way that some may take those answers as applying more generally, as in the "We're not putting 'Northern Lights' on the label - who said we were?"

Well, one might infer that this would be the case, based on past precedent.

But your point is well taken - I guess the Northern Lights purveyors didn't have the cash to get that monicker on the label.

Who honestly cares? confused-smiley-013.gif

If CGC is guaranted X amount of business by putting "Joe's collection" on the label, who is it hurting?

It's not hurting anybody in the long run, CGC does what they have to ,but a newbie to the hobby I feel, is being mislead by some of these collections that just aren't up to the standards of real collections such as the Larsens, Mile High, Allentown ,ETC. Just my thoughts ,nothing more! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Considering the impact CGC has on today's marketplace, I have two words that speak volumes about the buying and selling of CGC labeling:

Dallas Stephens

Yes, but has that annotation had ANY impact on the marketability of those books? I think this is a lot of ado about nothing. Ownership by Nick Cage or Dallas means nothing to me, and probably little to most serious comic collectors. If an annotation that Nick Cage owned a book causes some Hollywood-obsessed non-comic collector to buy a book and thus increase the liquidity of the comic market, that's just great and good marketing on the part of Heritage and CGC. Put another way, how does any of this hurt anyone?

Considering the impact CGC has on today's marketplace, I have two words that speak volumes about the buying and selling of CGC labeling:

Dallas Stephens

Yes, but has that annotation had ANY impact on the marketability of those books? I think this is a lot of ado about nothing. Ownership by Nick Cage or Dallas means nothing to me, and probably little to most serious comic collectors. If an annotation that Nick Cage owned a book causes some Hollywood-obsessed non-comic collector to buy a book and thus increase the liquidity of the comic market, that's just great and good marketing on the part of Heritage and CGC. Put another way, how does any of this hurt anyone?

Well, it won't hurt you and it won't hurt me directly, since we're not sufficiently impressed by the "special" labeling to pay a premium, but that is not necessarily the case with other potential buyers. After all, these collections are being marketed with special emphasis on their "provenance". In reality, it is the provenance of original ownership that is a truly significant characteristic of a comic, and not whether the seventh owner had an extensive collection, or the dealer sufficient clout with CGC to manipulate the labeling as a marketing tool. For that matter, what exactly does it mean to call oneself a third party grading service, when an aspect of the grading process is subject to the identity/clout of a first party and the volume of business they provide?

I am awaiting the scans to show up. The Detective 33 is a CGC 5.5, tan to off-white. There is only one in the census and that book use to be in my collection. I sold it through Heritage about 2 years ago. I got rid of the book because prior to CGC'ing it, the pages were tan and slightly brittle so they had begun to flake. I graded it a 4.0 so you can imagine my surprise when it came back 5.5, light tan to off-white. No mention of the pulled staple or brittle pages.

And if this collection was the end result of $1 million spent on High Grade books, why in the world does every label have a "New" label..... none of those books have the old label. I've collected a lot of High Grade books, and most of my books have the "old" label.........does this mean they've been cracked open and re-graded from some strange reason ? Hmmmmmmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, you see.. you're obviously wrong.

The truth is that Heritage found the books, bought them from someone for cheap. Pressed them from mid-grade "junk" to a high grade pedigree-worthy collection. They then slabbed all the books using Halperin's insider account so he can get the customary + .2 bump up in grade. They will then force bidders to buy the books at nose bleed prices. These buyers will turn out to be speculators who in turn find out they've paid too much and "uh oh the sky is falling" so they need to sell. So who do they relist with? Heritage. Heritage takes the books back puts a call in to CGC and tells them "hey we got a new shipment!" They promptly send all these books back in AGAIN and get another free bump up. At this point the books themselves are flater then a "postcard" and are all 9.6 and up. These are then sold to JP, "flatinum platinum" or some other shadowy character who allegedly controls the market with an iron fist.

Brian

Good recap Brian. Let's not forget to mention the poor wee newbie buyers that are spending tens of thousands of dollars of their life's savings without knowing enough about comics to distinguish between a PEDIGREE and a collection. We must protect the innocent from the evils of our hobby. Round up the posse boys.