• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic PCH stories
1 1

290 posts in this topic

Well Darth Korgi,

I've heard you tell me this before but somehow it is even more resonant in print. Thanks for the list. I have to agree with this assessment.

Some random thoughts on these stories:

-a lot of these Precode stories feature cheap and sometimes hack writing and art. That said, McDonakds sure can taste good.

I think a lot of the best stories are more unique than the others in idea and or art style and feature an especially brutal panel.

Here are some of the most popular and repeated story types... I think these four themes might account for half of the stories in these comics:

1. Spouse kills spouse for money (half the time one or both is a vampire or where wolf)

2. Travel to Islands or Africa and steals sacred gem/statue which unleashes vengeful voodoo/black magic.

3. Business partner, spouse or lover killed and returns as a zombie or ghost to kill the murderer.

4. Alien invasion or world takeover using disguise or mind control.

And lest we forget (and this was noted in a Simpsons treehouse of horror episode) the one constant in most of these stories - ironic punishment.

Right you are Andy! Are there many Precode references in those episodes?

Groening is very much a comic fan, but my guess is that most of the tropes he's used for the treehouse stories would be via The Twilight Zone.

The story I'm referencing is when he eats the "soul donut" given to him by Flanders and then is forced to spend the day in hell, ironic punishment division - "So you like donuts, do you? Have all the donuts in the world!!"

Ironic for the devil Flanders IIRC as Homer continued to eat as many donuts as was force fed to him! lol