• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic PCH stories
1 1

290 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to what was printed after the word "cadavers" in this panel. Whited out on purpose or just something got on the plate for this particular issue? Anyone have a copy to verify? hm

Same as on my copy and every copy I've seen, no doubt it was self-censorship for a line of dialogue that seemed to go a bit too far for the editor -- probably "tortured souls" or something considered to have a religious overtone. Same thing as done in the final panel of Mysterious Adventures #20 (Chef's Delight) when "Oh my god!" became "Oh my g**!)

"Oh my god!" was apparently a no-no, but apparently EC's ubiquitous "Good Lord!" was OK. :)

Interesting. I love discovering things like this prior to the CCA formation. The Mystic 31 is from '54 as well as another self censored book, Black Cat Mystery 51 that had a self censored art panel of a severed head blanked out. These two seem good examples of last minute editorial decisions. Not 100% sure the MA 20 fits into this category though.

Yup, both of my copies of MA 20 have "God" showing as that panel posted above does.

AFA BCM 51, I had to check; the entire panel is blank, but considering the cover date of August 1954, it was prolly an acquiescence to the approaching CCA. I'll bet if the book had been published 6 months or a year earlier, they would have illustrated it.

I stand corrected. The way I thought it was described earlier was that the type was printed as "Oh G**!" (with two asterisks). Now seeing the actual panel, it is clearly scribbled out. (thumbs u

Here is the link to the BCM #51 thread where you can see the original censored art that was omitted.

Linky

WORLDS OF FEAR #3

Your impeccable taste is once again evident. The amazing George Evans turns out a stellar nightmarish tale.

One of the most gratifying elements of precode horror is that some writers and artists were able to explore different subject matter and to stretch their creative muscles. Many stories for E.C. and Atlas were formulaic and predictable, but other companies really tried to build suspense and provide genuine scares.

Fawcett had some great lengthy horror stories. George Evans provided some of the absolute best. His artwork is phenomenal, and the storytelling and imagery was heads above most other work being done at the time.

Here is one of the first stories that first got me into precode horror comic books...

THE SLITHERING HORROR OF SKONTONG SWAMP!

149748.jpg.b7470f89663dfc578ad6f12430ec89db.jpg

149749.jpg.bafa969ef2d36075a485636c36bc7e12.jpg

149750.jpg.38e5558a345d0db93b8e4b9316be1d15.jpg

149751.jpg.8158669f6e3090d7a685a5da041842b5.jpg

Thanks for posting these. There is some great stuff here!

Well, look who has shown up! This guy is one of my longtime artist friends and a total comic nut.

Welcome to the madness Brad. This place is like a 24 hour comic convention that never ends. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting these. There is some great stuff here!

WTTB! :hi:

Here's a neat seldom seen Everett treat from Venus #19...

Venus19Story4pg01_zps3a4a0053.jpg

Venus19Story4pg02_zps9864748b.jpg

Venus19Story4pg03_zps8198d061.jpg

Venus19Story4pg04_zps11b88885.jpg

Venus19Story4pg05_zps2b411de0.jpg

Venus19Story4pg06_zps55ff0d27.jpg

Hey thanks for the welcome! This story was awesome! I love Everett's art here. I don't think I've even heard of this comic.

I share your love of the stories. Which other comics had multiple good stories in them? Thanks to my friend Christian, I have a few, but not many of these fifties horror comics.

Fortunately Brad, there are a number of great reprints of PCH stories out there now, in a variety of formats. From BW reprints of the 90s available on eBay (Tales to Terrible to Tell) -- which also give great historical context -- to newer reprints of collected works, Bob Powell, Jack Cole, etc. As well as title reprints (Chamber of Chills, Black Cat Mystery, etc.)

You can get a pretty tremendous amount of material in reprint form, without having to spend a lot, and then for particular issues/stories that really grab you, it's fun to seek out an original copy.

These are a lot of fun on various levels -- getting PCH books in lower grade is more affordable, and allows easy appreciation of the art and stories; trying to find originals in anything approaching high grade (some books are easier than others) adds another dimension of collecting challenge -- but it can get pricey!

WTTB and have fun looking for precodes! :)