• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic PCH stories
1 1

290 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, most PCH reprinted stories are in B/W, rather than color. The "Seduction of the innocent" series, and all the EC reprints however are in full color.

The main difference in even these reprints, is their size. The originals were slightly larger (but, ya can't have everything). ;)

Thx for posting stories from WOF 3 and Venus 19, gentlemen; that Venus 5th page, bottom panels, looked very ECish!

Edited by fifties

Hey thanks for the welcome! This story was awesome! I love Everett's art here. I don't think I've even heard of this comic.

This is the book it's from.

Venus19.jpg

That's one of the best copies I've seen.

When I first read Venus #19 I could not make sense of it. Who was she? Why was a love goddess in a horror comic? Because of Marvel we'd become accustomed to "continuity". The idea that stories could just be cooked up at random and stood alone felt quite alien. Now it feels cherish-able.

Great story! Has elements of Plan 9 From Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Crawling Eye all rolled into one. (thumbs u

I got a Body Snatcher vibe from the story but haven't seen the Crawling Eye before. I'll have to try to find that one.

Hey thanks for the information! I'll try to find some of this stuff. I've only recently gotten into this fifties stuff. These boards are great!

I share your love of the stories. Which other comics had multiple good stories in them? Thanks to my friend Christian, I have a few, but not many of these fifties horror comics.

Fortunately Brad, there are a number of great reprints of PCH stories out there now, in a variety of formats. From BW reprints of the 90s available on eBay (Tales to Terrible to Tell) -- which also give great historical context -- to newer reprints of collected works, Bob Powell, Jack Cole, etc. As well as title reprints (Chamber of Chills, Black Cat Mystery, etc.)

You can get a pretty tremendous amount of material in reprint form, without having to spend a lot, and then for particular issues/stories that really grab you, it's fun to seek out an original copy.

These are a lot of fun on various levels -- getting PCH books in lower grade is more affordable, and allows easy appreciation of the art and stories; trying to find originals in anything approaching high grade (some books are easier than others) adds another dimension of collecting challenge -- but it can get pricey!

WTTB and have fun looking for precodes! :)