• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic PCH stories
1 1

290 posts in this topic

Believe it or not, I've yet to read Wolverton's Eye Of Doom ...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... that Hiroshima story from Worlds of Fear 3 :o

"Eye of Doom" and "They Crawl by Night" by Wolverton are just as creepy and entertaining as his "Brain Bats of Venus."

I only have the splash to share of this story but the rest of it is just as good.

Venus17splash.jpg

That copy once belonged to Sir Andrew of The Highgate...... It was mine for about a year or two and I stupidly sold it. Solid Fine copy...... doubt I'll ever get another like it @ $ 375 USD ....... I think a boardie ended up with it eventually.... can't remember who.... GOD BLESS...

I'm curious as to what was printed after the word "cadavers" in this panel. Whited out on purpose or just something got on the plate for this particular issue? Anyone have a copy to verify? hm

149475.jpg.389f1b06e07d8be4588597aaaf66a91f.jpg

That copy once belonged to Sir Andrew of The Highgate...... It was mine for about a year or two and I stupidly sold it. Solid Fine copy...... doubt I'll ever get another like it @ $ 375 USD ....... I think a boardie ended up with it eventually.... can't remember who.... GOD BLESS...

:sorry:

This is another fav of mine from Stan Lee and Jerry Robinson. I get a thrill out of the impact a story like this can make in just three short pages! From Uncanny Tales #3...

UncannyTales3Crazy1_zps467fc7b6.jpeg

UncannyTales3Crazy2_zps0656b0be.jpeg

UncannyTales3Crazy3_zps7efb8ec4.jpeg

Robinson did some powerful stuff for Atlas..... that one is great. I'm also fond of "I Can't Stop Changing" from Marvel Tales 111 ....... GOD BLESS....

I'm curious as to what was printed after the word "cadavers" in this panel. Whited out on purpose or just something got on the plate for this particular issue? Anyone have a copy to verify? hm

I also have a copy of Mystic 31, and mine looks exactly the same in the word balloon, so there must have been something done when it was printed.

Same as on my copy and every copy I've seen, no doubt it was self-censorship for a line of dialogue that seemed to go a bit too far for the editor -- probably "tortured souls" or something considered to have a religious overtone. Same thing as done in the final panel of Mysterious Adventures #20 (Chef's Delight) when "Oh my god!" became "Oh my g**!)

"Oh my god!" was apparently a no-no, but apparently EC's ubiquitous "Good Lord!" was OK. :)

Same as on my copy and every copy I've seen, no doubt it was self-censorship for a line of dialogue that seemed to go a bit too far for the editor -- probably "tortured souls" or something considered to have a religious overtone. Same thing as done in the final panel of Mysterious Adventures #20 (Chef's Delight) when "Oh my god!" became "Oh my g**!)

"Oh my god!" was apparently a no-no, but apparently EC's ubiquitous "Good Lord!" was OK. :)

Interesting. I love discovering things like this prior to the CCA formation. The Mystic 31 is from '54 as well as another self censored book, Black Cat Mystery 51 that had a self censored art panel of a severed head blanked out. These two seem good examples of last minute editorial decisions. Not 100% sure the MA 20 fits into this category though.

Interesting. I love discovering things like this prior to the CCA formation. The Mystic 31 is from '54 as well as another self censored book, Black Cat Mystery 51 that had a self censored art panel of a severed head blanked out. These two seem good examples of last minute editorial decisions. Not 100% sure the MA 20 fits into this category though.

Take a look at that particular MA #20 panel and see what you think. George Suarez in Tales too terrible to tell called it out as a self-censored panel, and I agree -- every copy I've ever seen has the phrase blobbed out. :) Edit to add the panel in question.

ma20-francois.jpg

Edited by originalisbest

Yup, both of my copies of MA 20 have "God" showing as that panel posted above does.

AFA BCM 51, I had to check; the entire panel is blank, but considering the cover date of August 1954, it was prolly an acquiescence to the approaching CCA. I'll bet if the book had been published 6 months or a year earlier, they would have illustrated it.