• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you buy a PGX slab for whatever reason, do you immediately take it out?

24 posts in this topic

No - I have two books sitting in a PGX slab right now. When it comes time, I will do what I did last time and have the presser crack it for me, press it, and then submit the book. It makes for safer travel.

No - I have two books sitting in a PGX slab right now. When it comes time, I will do what I did last time and have the presser crack it for me, press it, and then submit the book. It makes for safer travel.

27140575-stamp-truth-with-red-text-over-white-background.jpg

Whatever you decide to do, you should prepare yourself for bad news. Just had two (thankfully, not very valuable) PGX slabs cracked out and regraded and both come back with restoration. None of which, of course, was noted on the PGX slab.

Whatever you decide to do, you should prepare yourself for bad news. Just had two (thankfully, not very valuable) PGX slabs cracked out and regraded and both come back with restoration. None of which, of course, was noted on the PGX slab.

That's exactly the reason I'm going to crack the two late-Silver PGX slabs I have and get them CGC'd. I'd rather find out sooner if they are restored, trimmed, etc so I can replace them before the market value gets any higher. I have a PGX 8.5 Jimmy Olsen 134 that I hope comes back the same... :wishluck: Either way, it'll be one of my Collector's Society coupon submissions so I won't be out much in fees.

If you're thinking about having it CGC graded, I would leave it in and send it to them in the PGX holder (with a note allowing them to remove it). Extra protection during shipment.

^^

Is this allowed? I was always wondering if you could do that.

If you're thinking about having it CGC graded, I would leave it in and send it to them in the PGX holder (with a note allowing them to remove it). Extra protection during shipment.

^^

Is this allowed? I was always wondering if you could do that.

Yes, it is allowed. And as for the next question that usually follows: No, the graders have no idea whose books they are grading nor what the original grade was.

I collect comic books, not slabs. If I get a good deal on a book in a PGX slab I just leave it be. Unless I think it's a good CPR candidate.

I only have one PGX and it's a Captain America vol. 4 #1 Dynamic Forces 1 of 49 signed by John Ney Rieber and remarked by John Cassaday. That would come back qualified if I submitted it to CGC, wouldn't it? And they don't even include COA's, do they? Eh, got it for free anyway so I'm leaving it for now... (shrug)