• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Classes

49 posts in this topic

I like the idea of a grading class - but one of the things that has to be figured in is the ability to practice. You need to grade lots of books to become a good grader, I think.

Make the class a few weeks, have them grade every week, then have them regrade the first weeks' books on the last week of class to measure improvement.

I like the idea of a grading class - but one of the things that has to be figured in is the ability to practice. You need to grade lots of books to become a good grader, I think.

Make the class a few weeks, have them grade every week, then have them regrade the first weeks' books on the last week of class to measure improvement.

Baby steps.

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't think the people who need it would be interested.

What would their incentive be when people are willing to pay stupid prices for books that are clearly over graded from scans or photos shown in the listing. As long as collectors are willing to take a chance on clearly over graded comics, I'm not sure anyone would be motivated to take a class like this.

Perhaps a class that teaches comic book buyers/collectors/speculators that they shouldn't bid on and pay ridiculous prices for every comic listed as NM on Ebay would be helpful.

There are plenty of people in the country who don't believe in evolution. They are happily informing other people about this fact.

They really, really should take a biology class so that they can be better informed about this. They probably won't, however, and will remain willfully ignorant.

Should we not teach biology because of these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons?

Personally I think the two classes (one on grading, the other on resto checking) are very good ideas.

Of course, practically speaking, there would be several issues/obstacles, as mentioned by many already.

However, if the issues could be resolved/minimized, I would LOVE to take BOTH classes. (thumbs u

One possibility is that some one connected to CGC (OR, someone who agrees with MOST CGC grades) be the one to take on teaching the grading class. (And I say MOST because of course, even with CGC grades there are some fluctuations, but at least there is SOME consistency there, as opposed to comparing the grading of different dealers, which can REALLY be all over the place).

Because I would want to gain insight into CGC grading (which I consider to now be the "standard").

I would not want to know how some dealer grades (since, as we know and already mentioned by me, many dealers' grading is all over the place).

However again, if it is a dealer that agrees with MOST CGC Grades, then that dealer being the teacher would be fine by me.

There are plenty of people in the country who don't believe in evolution. They are happily informing other people about this fact.

They really, really should take a biology class so that they can be better informed about this. They probably won't, however, and will remain willfully ignorant.

I think you might be missing my point. I'm not trying to discourage the idea. If a class like that were offered at Planet Comicon here in KC, I would probably attend, especially if they had a section on resto detection.

All I was trying to say was that the people who really could use a class like that have no incentive to do so because they don't believe it affects their sales. They don't really care enough to want to be better at grading comics.

I would do it because I want to get better at grading comics, but that's an internal motivation, not one dictated by money.

I would submit that most people who are happy with their purchase probably paid an amount that they were happy to pay for their purchase, and that feelings of "they paid too much" are the feelings of others who are making judgments about the way those people did their thing. A grading class wouldn't have much of a purpose for buyers whose only requirement is that the book "looks pretty nice", whatever that means to them, and whatever that's worth to them.

:juggle:

One possibility is that some one connected to CGC (OR, someone who agrees with MOST CGC grades) be the one to take on teaching the grading class. (And I say MOST because of course, even with CGC grades there are some fluctuations, but at least there is SOME consistency there, as opposed to comparing the grading of different dealers, which can REALLY be all over the place).

Because I would want to gain insight into CGC grading (which I consider to now be the "standard").

I doubt if CGC would have someone available to talk about grading. That sort of defeats the purpose if they are out there training other people to do what they do (and what they charge to do).

There are many, many dealers out there who grade accurately. I would trust them to talk about grading as much or more than anyone from CGC.

I love this post!

Are you talking about the theory of evolution?

Are you talking about the theory of evolution?

Yes.

I love this post!

I give up. Not at all what I was saying. :(

I doubt if CGC would have someone available to talk about grading. That sort of defeats the purpose if they are out there training other people to do what they do (and what they charge to do).

There are many, many dealers out there who grade accurately. I would trust them to talk about grading as much or more than anyone from CGC.

I agree with you. :)

That is why in my earlier post, I had stated the option of a Dealer (not in CGC, but who agrees with MOST CGC grades) as being a good choice for the teacher position.

Of course, a highly experienced Collector who agrees with MOST CGC grades would also work just as well.

CGC could, nay, would likely discredit the class stating that they don't support or recognize it. If they did that, some people would probably be scared off because in their eyes, without CGC's approval or blessing, the class would not be deemed "legitimate." In effect, placing you back at square 1.