• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to ship via Media Mail and make it a viable shipping option?

185 posts in this topic

It's simple.

Don't use Media Mail to ship comics. It's breaking the rules and isn't allowed.

And the most beat-up packages containing comics I receive by mail are routinely are shipped via media mail.

My question is which type of comic book is not permitted? Ones that contain no ads? Hardcover comics?

Comic Digest?

I believe the point of Media Mail is to allow people to ship educational materials in bulk through the mail at low cost. Basically, if it isn't an academic text book, manual, or reference book...don't ship it via Media Mail.

This is why we end up with laws that require 1000 pages of clarification. Even when It's obvious and clarication is given their are those individuals who'll continue to argue that since it's not explicitly written in the DMM than it's not official. Hogwash, you got clarification, fracking accept the explanation.

This is why we end up with laws that require 1000 pages of clarification. Even when It's obvious and clarication is given their are those individuals who'll continue to argue that since it's not explicitly written in the DMM than it's not official. Hogwash, you got clarification, fracking accept the explanation.

Really? Is a 500 page Marvel Omnibus a comic book? How about a 100 page Trade Paper Back? Where is the clarity on that?

Really? Is a 500 page Marvel Omnibus a comic book? How about a 100 page Trade Paper Back? Where is the clarity on that?

If they meet the advertisement requirement, then, yes, it qualifies. Whether the USPS employees are interpreting the rules correctly is another question all together.

Here it is, they specifically exclude them, it was not worded this way previously.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items can be found in the DMM.

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

Notice 121, October 2012

Well I understand their clarification, but they are saying that comic books dont meet "this" standard, meaning containing advertising.

TPBs, HCs, and Art books (which is what the IDW books are more akin to) meet the standard.

If they meet the advertisement requirement, then, yes, it qualifies. Whether the USPS employees are interpreting the rules correctly is another question all together.

Well said.

In the end, however, the ones providing the service in this instance gets to call the shots.

Is the extra quarter or two you save worth the worry of having your package opened, inspected, and possibly damaged? Is it worth going through the hassle of dealing with the enraged customer who doesn't understand why he had to pay extra postage upon reception of non-qualified goods received through Media Mail?

Not for me.

Here it is, they specifically exclude them, it was not worded this way previously.

https://about.usps.com/notices/not121/not121_tech.htm

Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

For more information about Media Mail service, please visit www.usps.com or call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). Complete explanations of qualified items can be found in the DMM.

PSN 7610-07-000-4037

Notice 121, October 2012

It has been worded that way for a while. I've posted it a few times. The mods actually tend to delete my posts quoting it.

It might be a conspiracy hm

If Media Mail is a cost effective way to send educational material they really missed the boat on their ruling. I learned how to read by reading comic books so I'd definitely consider comic books educational material.

And I'd guess only 1% of the packages using media mail are actually packages going to and from schools or school age kids. Its being used primarily by sellers of books so I don't see why they would care if the book is Hamlet or X-Men 1. Stupid ruling all the way around.

I think it's up to the interpretation of the individual teller receiving your package. If you get cited, it's probably easier to go to a different post office, than to rethink what you can or can't send.

It's worth standing in line for no other reason than to make sure they are scanned in and a receipt is provided.

The local post office located a couple of blocks from me refuse to give me a scan receipt from an online paid postal label. They're argument is...if you pay a postal label online you don't need to stand in line. Just drop it off on the counter. BUT my argument is...if I drop off the package on the counter without getting a scan receive receipt, the package can be lost or stolen between here (Post Office) to the main shipping dock. AND the USPS will never honor the insurance I paid for because it would show on their system that I never came into the post office.

I ended up going to another post office that gives scanned receipts, but it was out of my way.

I have had the same problem . I too went to another post office that would give me a receipt . I had to go back to the first PO once , as a matter of convenience. They are now giving receipts. I think alot of this depends on the day the mood , the postal clerk.

It's simple.

Don't use Media Mail to ship comics. It's breaking the rules and isn't allowed.

And the most beat-up packages containing comics I receive by mail are routinely are shipped via media mail.

Flat Rate Priority Envelopes I receive are always beat to hell. The Media Mail packages always arrive A-OK for me.

I believe the point of Media Mail is to allow people to ship educational materials in bulk through the mail at low cost. Basically, if it isn't an academic text book, manual, or reference book...don't ship it via Media Mail.

That is not correct. Educational material is shipped by "Library Mail." It is similar, but different from Media Mail. There is no requirement that Media Mail has to be educational or academic.

Up until a few years ago, consumers could also use Bound Printed Matter. BPM was/is identical to Media Mail except products could include advertising. In fact, they could be nothing but advertising. BPM still exists, but you cannot get it at a PO service counter. You need a permit to use this class.

Prices for BPM and Media Mail are very close. Which is cheaper depends on the parcel being shipped. Functionally, there is no difference between the services. Those taking this "holier than thou" attitude about people potentially violating the rules and raising postal prices for everyone else need step back a bit. Basically, it is ok for Amazon (big enough to get a permit) to functionally ship comics by Media Mail, but it is not ok for some boardie in Iowa.

For many years, we spent six figures on USPS postage and routinely shipped trades, hardcovers and graphic novels through both Media Mail and BPM (with and without a permit). We also had all this vetted by the postal director (or whatever the title - not a local PO manager) in Atlanta.

Today, I still ship most of my wholesale orders for Canton Street Press by Media Mail. Doing so does not violate any USPS rule.

Up until a few years ago, consumers could also use Bound Printed Matter. BPM was/is identical to Media Mail except products could include advertising. In fact, they could be nothing but advertising. BPM still exists, but you cannot get it at a PO service counter. You need a permit to use this class.

I wondered where BPM had gone to. I remember years ago that Mile High used it to ship a lot of their sales through those Marvel ads they used to run.

I wondered where BPM had gone to. I remember years ago that Mile High used it to ship a lot of their sales through those Marvel ads they used to run.

You can use someone like UPS Mail Innovations for BPM without getting your own permit. You ship using their permit and can benefit from their discount prices as well. Since they insert deeper into the mail stream, you actually get better delivery times too. I'm surprised Mile High still doesn't ship using BPM either with their own permit or someone else's.

You can use someone like UPS Mail Innovations for BPM without getting your own permit. You ship using their permit and can benefit from their discount prices as well. Since they insert deeper into the mail stream, you actually get better delivery times too.

What's this all about? I've never heard of them.

That is not correct. Educational material is shipped by "Library Mail." It is similar, but different from Media Mail. There is no requirement that Media Mail has to be educational or academic.

Prices for BPM and Media Mail are very close. Which is cheaper depends on the parcel being shipped. Functionally, there is no difference between the services. Those taking this "holier than thou" attitude about people potentially violating the rules and raising postal prices for everyone else need step back a bit. Basically, it is ok for Amazon (big enough to get a permit) to functionally ship comics by Media Mail, but it is not ok for some boardie in Iowa.

For many years, we spent six figures on USPS postage and routinely shipped trades, hardcovers and graphic novels through both Media Mail and BPM (with and without a permit). We also had all this vetted by the postal director (or whatever the title - not a local PO manager) in Atlanta.

Today, I still ship most of my wholesale orders for Canton Street Press by Media Mail. Doing so does not violate any USPS rule.

Good info. Thanks for the correction.