• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to ship via Media Mail and make it a viable shipping option?

185 posts in this topic

I finally had to stop shipping comics via media mail about a year ago. Too many packages getting charged extra because the comics weren't allowed. And they will charge you either the cost for Parcel Post or Priority, their call. I think all those inspections were done at the destination post offices.

I actually prefer to send via priority on ebay because of the tracking and insurance. Trying to get people to pay for that has been a whole different matter. I think a lot of my auctions have been passed on because of the priority charge. The price for the medium box is insane, but it's the only way to ship large stacks of comics.

jusr got another SI magazine returned to me today. That was the last straw-- I will not be using media mail for anything comic or magazine related again. The problem is that with sites like Amazon-- you have NO CONTROL over the shipping portion of any item. They assign a number and that's the end of it. Sucks-- I had an entire setup devoted to mailing out single issues of Rolling Stone using media mail as the mule. Almost all of these books are about 20 years old.

ugh-- just put the whole works on inactive until I can figure out how to get this working again.

As stated in other threads, this is a notice, written by someone at the USPS internally, that carries no authority.

The USPS regulations are contained in the Domestic Mail Manual, or "DMM", which contains the official regulations the USPS operates by.

In other words, if it's not in the DMM...it's not binding.

Define "no authority" and "not binding".

I'm sorry, but if postal employee #3,742 inspects your media mail package, and charges you more for shipping...seems like they have the authority, to cost you extra money.

That's binding enough for me, regardless of what the DMM says. (shrug)

You mean, postal employees never do things they don't have the authority to do....?

hm

No one bothers to fight it, but it is a winnable fight.

This is the response I was hoping for.

How would you win that fight?

Glad I could give you what you wanted. :)

Usually, when a government agency has regulations which aren't clear, you have to sue them to get it fixed.

Force the USPS to clarify the policy either way.

The USPS is clearly aware of the issue, and yet refuses to fix the DMM.

Ever wonder why....?

When was the last time you sued the government?

People sue the government every day, all day long.

The time/money involved in suing the government, is definitely worth it to save that few extra bucks you will pocket from using media mail.

Plus you get to stick it to the man, so that's nice.

My point exactly.

So, no one should ever sue the government for anything that you don't think is worth it? The principle is meaningless, unless the dollar amount justifies it?

Interesting perspective.

hm

Why don't you put your money where your mouth is RMA? You take it on.

So, no one should ever sue the government for anything that you don't think is worth it? The principle is meaningless, unless the dollar amount justifies it?

Interesting perspective.

hm

Why? I have no stake in this.

Interesting perspective.

hm

Then why hang in this thread and berate folks? :shrug:

Interesting perspective.

hm

Then why hang in this thread and berate folks? :shrug:

Um...because this is a message board, where everyone is free to discuss whatever suits them....?

hm

No one is being, or has been, berated. That is your own invention. Once again, I am compelled to point out that "disagreeing with someone" is not berating them.

I miss lizards. Let me know when he comes back.

Interesting perspective.

hm

Translation: Go ahead and spend a lot of your time and money to pursue something that you have very little to gain. But I really don't care because it doesn't matter to me and costs me nothing to tell you to do it.

If anyone has the time and is interested in filing a formal complaint re: the USPS Media Mail regulations & the eligibility of material with expired advertising (the crux of RMA's argument), then here's a reasonable place to start:

http://www.prc.gov/PRC-DOCS/UploadedDocuments/Consumer%20Complaint%20Guide%2003-08-2010%20%282%29_632.pdf

Here's the gist of how it works:

(1) In general.—

The Postal Regulatory Commission shall, within 90 days after receiving a complaint under subsection (a)

(A) either

(i) upon a finding that such complaint raises material issues of fact or law, begin proceedings on such complaint; or

(ii) issue an order dismissing the complaint; and

(B) with respect to any action taken under subparagraph (A)(i) or (ii), issue a written statement setting forth the bases of its determination.

Lots more here...

http://www.prc.gov/prc-pages/default.aspx

Like I said...it's a start...

I can’t see a big problem: if your Postal System apparently has this inconsistency by which you can’t ship printed magazines with ads, just tell the buyer it‘s at their own risk, and if they have the package inspected and/or have to pay more, they will do so.

It does not make much sense, anyway: here there is nothing like that, but each country's services have their own inconsistencies… :shrug:

m49oJOKl.jpg

most recent reject-- I think the inspection is originating at my home post office based on the stamp placed on the attached media mail information.

This one had a lot of information on it so I thought I might share it in this thread (with personal info redacted)

FYI--- the contents of the inside were a packing slip and one magazine sandwiched in cardboard and various poly bag and plastic bags like I normally use-- the magazine was not opened, just the package. I guess they looked at the packing slip and stopped right there and did all the rest. They didn't even reseal the package--- just slapped all this stuff on there and put a huge rubber band long-wise around the package. Then they sent it all the way to Kentucky where my buyer refused it and it was sent all the way back here. Talk about a wasted effort just to follow some guideline. I want to know why it costs the 3.47 PLUS the 6.30 additional surcharge to mail something to Kentucky. I DID NOT put those priority mail stickers on the package either.

anyway....

here it is blown up for you to peruse more closely

m49oJOK.jpg

Interesting perspective.

hm

Translation: Go ahead and spend a lot of your time and money to pursue something that you have very little to gain. But I really don't care because it doesn't matter to me and costs me nothing to tell you to do it.

Translation: I, Jaeldubyoo have misunderstood what RMA said, but am going to respond in a most cynical and unfair manner.

I have no stake in trying to force the USPS to clarify their rules. I haven't shipped comics by Media Mail for probably 5-6 years, because I don't like the service, and find that it does not meet my needs in terms of protection. I do ship the occasional trade via Media Mail.

If I was someone who shipped out tens of thousands of bulk books on a regular basis, I might take on the challenge. If I was AMAZON, I might take on the challenge. But just because it's not something that affects me directly does NOT, in ANY way, mean that I don't give a mess about the principle, and would happily support anyone who DID take the USPS on.

Obviously, the principle DOES matter to me, or I wouldn't be wasting my time in these discussions.

Nor did I TELL anyone to take on the USPS. I said it COULD be done, I didn't say anyone HAD to. We have been discussing the merits of the issue, and the possible avenues that could be pursued. When did people expressing their opinions about an issue necessitate them "doing something about it"?

meh

Very cynical, Jaeldubyoo.

:(

Not for sure but my Postmaster told me that Media mail is inspected at the drop off point randomly. Their computer will generate a message onscreen at the time of drop off and the Postal worker is supposed to open the package in front of the person dropping it off.

If you do the postage at home, I di not know how it would be randomly inspected.

I pay at the counter and so far no message has popped up and she has not opened any of my packages. Although she knows they are comics and would not open them anyway.

What gets her fired up is when she finds Priority boxes cut up and used as packing material and sent media mail.

Not for sure but my Postmaster told me that Media mail is inspected at the drop off point randomly. Their computer will generate a message onscreen at the time of drop off and the Postal worker is supposed to open the package in front of the person dropping it off.

If you do the postage at home, I di not know how it would be randomly inspected.

I pay at the counter and so far no message has popped up and she has not opened any of my packages. Although she knows they are comics and would not open them anyway.

What gets her fired up is when she finds Priority boxes cut up and used as packing material and sent media mail.

why should that bother them? Are we supposed to throw away old priority mail boxes rather than recycle that sturdy cardboard?

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#1113611

4.0 Content Standards for Media Mail

….4.1Qualified Items

….….Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

…….…a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight

….……printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography,

…….…or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing

….……no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books.

….……Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in

…….…display, classified, or editorial style.

There is absolutely no inconsistency in the rule.

The rule says NO advertising. It was likely worded that way to prevent these sorts of discussions (and arguments at the counter). There is no clarification about advertising that is "over x years old", etc. This is by design.

For arguments sake when does this ad "expire"?:

Coca-Cola_Summer3.jpg

Additionally, there is a little matter of putting the onus on your buyer to deal with the postal authorities when they receive your package with postage due. How exactly do you think they are going to feel about getting a bill in their mailbox with your package? How do you think they will feel if they have to take time out of their day to go down and argue YOUR case with the post office? This likely does not engender a positive experience for your buyer and may be reflected in your feedback or DSRs if it is an ebay purchase.