• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformers Nostalgia Day!

15 posts in this topic

Clearly I was a less sophisticated kid than Gene! While UXM hooked him into comics, for me it was Transformers circa 1985 that did it. Today, I just got this in the mail so decided to share my own tale of nostalgia. I have known my "grail" did not exist for awhile. At least not in any presentable format, but this brings back such great boyhood memories for me:

Transformers Universe #2 Cover

So, back when I was a kid, Transformers was the first book I read regularly. I specifically remember Transformers #7 being the first comic I read and reread, for whatever reason. I was misbehaving and my grandmother bought me that comic to keep me quiet. It worked. I was absorbed.

Before that I owned a comic here or there but nothing I would trek to the comic store month after month for. At first, it was Mario's cigar shop where I got all my comics before tracking down a legit comic book store. That was 1985 and I was 8 years old. This book was published the next year and I remember was one of a bunch of books that I was carrying around in a plastic bag so I could read them whenever I wanted.

Aside from reading these things over and over, I would also buy tracing paper and trace images from the covers that were especially good 'hero' shots. And this was one of them! I loved Optimus Prime (he was also pretty easy to trace!!) and this was a really great cover image of him. I also remember sitting in the back yard reading that stack of Transformers comics and playing with the toys as well. Good times. I remember crying pretty hard when he died in Transformers: The Movie! (Great voice cast in retrospect!)

There are so few vintage Transformers covers out there I was thrilled to add this one to my collection. It hit the auction links while I was away from the hobby, so I really have to thank Joe for agreeing to part with it. There's art you hold onto awhile and art you hope to hold onto forever, and this is in the latter category for me. It doesn't get much better than this, and while I am definitely trying to track down other vintage Transformers covers, I am going to be hard pressed to find one as good as this with my favorite character in such a nice pose.

(Announcement: If anyone has any leads on some of those older Transformers covers, I'd appreciate the tip.)

Anyhow, thanks for reading and checking out the art. My pleasure to share it and my goofball childhood story with you guys.

J

Never would have guessed you were a Transformers fan - great backstory and congrats on the pick-up! :applause:

Thanks! Yeah, somehow I got from Transformers to Sandman - god knows how that happened! Though I did not start reading Sandman right from #1 so I had a few extra years. Those were the days of going around to different comic stores to try to find those key back issues so you could read an entire story straight through.

My after school routine was watching the Transformers and GI Joe cartoons back to back before dinner. lol

Never would have guessed you were a Transformers fan - great backstory and congrats on the pick-up! :applause:

Thanks! Yeah, somehow I got from Transformers to Sandman - god knows how that happened! Though I did not start reading Sandman right from #1 so I had a few extra years. Those were the days of going around to different comic stores to try to find those key back issues so you could read an entire story straight through.

My after school routine was watching the Transformers and GI Joe cartoons back to back before dinner. lol

I did that too lol except here GI Joe was on before transformers; I'd usually only manage to catch half of GI Joe.

The best though was Robotech :cloud9:

I did that too lol except here GI Joe was on before transformers; I'd usually only manage to catch half of GI Joe.

The best though was Robotech :cloud9:

I'll never forget how PO'd I used to get as a kid when a Yankees game was on channel 11 instead of GI Joe and Transformers after school.

Absolutely fantastic! It's such a great composition with all those headshots as the background. Of the covers in the mini-series, this is easily the most recognizable and memorable.

I recently grabbed the TF Universe books, and have been reliving some childhood memories, so this is extra cool to see giving the timing. I have a couple original character art pieces from these too, and reading the bios again after many years definitely makes me appreciate and want more art from this series.