• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

What I'm saying is, if your product isn't yours start to finish, you're not good at what you do.

lol The Beatles, Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, Stones...they're laughin' atcha!!

You saying they didn't play their own instruments and sing their own tunes?

I'm talking about someone who doesn't ink his own pencils.

What I'm saying is, if your product isn't yours start to finish, you're not good at what you do.

I'm saying they collaborated heavily on their finished pieces.

Anyway, "what you do?" Kirby did pencils. Infantino did pencils. Swan did pencils. They inked sometimes, but they were pencilers. Do you hold it against pencil/inkers if they don't write the -script or do the colors? No? Why not? Why draw the line at pencils and inks?

Um George Martin had quite a bit to do with how the Beatles finished product sounded...

Just saying.

Anyway, "what you do?" Kirby did pencils. Infantino did pencils. Swan did pencils. They inked sometimes, but they were pencilers. Do you hold it against pencil/inkers if they don't write the -script or do the colors? No? Why not? Why draw the line at pencils and inks?

I would hold it against them for not authoring their own work if we were talking about best creators in general, and not simply best artists. You can be a good artist and a not so great writer though.

Why leave it at pencils and inks?

Because for the most part I prefer black and white comics I guess. I think more comics have been ruined with the application of color than improved. I could count the number of comics I think were better for being in color on one hand probably. And because one person being responsible for pencils and inks (and writing) is common outside the big two, but coloring less so. I wouldn't count it against someone for not coloring their comic, but I would say an artist who does, like Juanjo Guarnido, are better than those who do not, like Kirby.

Edited by dupont2005

Um George Martin had quite a bit to do with how the Beatles finished product sounded...

Just saying.

Did he play their instruments for them? What about when they went on tour?

Marvel editors have quite a bit of influence on a finished comic too, but unless they physically dipped a pen in ink and applied it to the bristol I'm not actually counting it. And I didn't bring the Beatles up, and have never claimed they were the "King" of music.

Edited by dupont2005

I would hold it against them for not authoring their own work if we were talking about best creators in general, and not simply best artists. You can be a good artist and a not so great writer though.

Why leave it at pencils and inks?

Because for the most part I prefer black and white comics I guess. And because one person being responsible for pencils and inks (and writing) is common outside the big two, but coloring less so. I wouldn't count it against someone for not coloring their comic, but I would say an artist who does, like Juanjo Guarnido, are better than those who do not, like Kirby.

Then it's not that they're not good at what they do, it's that they don't do what you like. You like single-creator B&W comics...okay, that's cool I suppose.

Top 10 voted in 2010 on CBR .

10 Alex Ross 822 points (21 first place votes)

9 John Romita Jr. 846 points (13 first place votes)

8 Frank Miller 897 points (10 first place votes)

7 John Byrne 1029 points (11 first place votes)

6 Jim Lee 1270 points (40 first place votes)

5 Neal Adams 1296 points (31 first place votes)

4 George Perez 1877 points (63 first place votes)

3 J.H. Williams III 1945 points (50 first place votes)

2 Frank Quitely 2052 points (51 first place votes)

1 Jack Kirby 2521 points (112 first place votes)

Take it with a grain of salt. Asking CBR who the best illustrators are is like asking MTV viewers who the greatest musicians are. T-Pain and Justin Beiber are sure to make the list.

Apparently, according to CBR, in order to be a good artist you HAVE to draw super heroes.

I could google it, but who is "T-Pain"?

Just saying.

Marvel editors have quite a bit of influence on a finished comic too, but unless they physically dipped a pen in ink and applied it to the bristol I'm not actually counting it. And I didn't bring the Beatles up, and have never claimed they were the "King" of music.

Sorry, maybe the Beatles thing was confusing. My point is, John Lennon and Paul McCartney had collaborators (each other) on much of their seminal work. Run and DMC had collaborators (each other) on much of their seminal work. I don't see how that means that they're not good at what they do. Or does your point only apply to comic artists?

Just saying.

Marvel editors have quite a bit of influence on a finished comic too, but unless they physically dipped a pen in ink and applied it to the bristol I'm not actually counting it.

I really do not know what to tell you if you honestly are unfamiliar with Martin's contributions towards the Beatles' overall sound. If you are not then there is no way to really explain it to you in a post. If you are and are simply ignoring it in an effort to support your own argument, then again, there is nothing I can do for you.

As far as a tour goes, that argument goes out the window since each performance is essentially a new composition. (I have gone to a few Phish shows - the 2013-07-10 Harry Hood was far better than the 2013-12-30 version) On the record though where you have certain albums which are meant to be heard in a certain order and in a certain way, he is clearly responsible.

Just saying.

Sorry, maybe the Beatles thing was confusing. My point is, John Lennon and Paul McCartney had collaborators (each other) on much of their seminal work. Run and DMC had collaborators (each other) on much of their seminal work. I don't see how that means that they're not good at what they do. Or does your point only apply to comic artists?

If one person could drum, guitar, and play bass then I'd feel differently. One person can ink their pencils, and often they do. Outside of super hero comics. Maybe this is kind of like how people feel the Beatles and Elvis are the greatest thing to happen to rock music, while I prefer to think Chuck Berry was.

Also, not a fan of Run DMC.

Edited by dupont2005

Just saying.

Marvel editors have quite a bit of influence on a finished comic too, but unless they physically dipped a pen in ink and applied it to the bristol I'm not actually counting it.

I really do not know what to tell you if you honestly are unfamiliar with Martin's contributions towards the Beatles' overall sound. If you are not then there is no way to really explain it to you in a post. If you are and are simply ignoring it in an effort to support your own argument, then again, there is nothing I can do for you.

As far as a tour goes, that argument goes out the window since each performance is essentially a new composition. (I have gone to a few Phish shows - the 2013-07-10 Harry Hood was far better than the 2013-12-30 version) On the record though where you have certain albums which are meant to be heard in a certain order and in a certain way, he is clearly responsible.

They also didn't play live during the period of Martin's greatest contributions.

My argument is what do the Beatles have to do with illustration? Do I have to be an expert in music I don't like in order to know if artists who ink their own pencils tend to put out a better product than revolving door studio drek where schedule is king? Edited by dupont2005

Just saying.

If one person could drum, guitar, and play bass then I'd feel differently. Also, not a fan of Run DMC.

Stevie Wonder and Prince sometimes played all instruments on their recordings. So did Paul McCartney, on his early solo stuff.

And by the way...

One of the greatest albums of all time - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon...

Pretty sure that Alan Parson's (Yeah the guy that created the intro for every sports arena) had quite a bit to do with the album in post as the bands mixer.

Just saying.

My argument is what do the Beatles have to do with illustration? Do I have to be an expert in music I don't like in order to know if artists who ink their own pencils tend to put out a better product than revolving door studio drek where schedule is king?

It's generalizing to investigate the notion of collaboration, and whether it really means that an artist is not good.