• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI - Best Artists Ever... Ever
2 2

261 posts in this topic

BOOM

McFarlane

Kieth

Silvestri

Liefeld

Lee

Larsen

Valentino

Keown

Frazetta

Ottley

Jenkins

Dragotta

Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

The other half of the battle... you need to take out everyone except Frazetta, and add guys like Ditko, Kirby, Wood, Ingels, Davis, Schultz, Wrightson, Brunner, Feldstein, Everett, Kamen, Maneely, Heath, Kubert (the original), and Kurtzman. :)

Kirby... not the be all end all in the slightest...

Just never thought of Kirby as the "best" or even near the top. With the exception of the Fantastic Four covers, I mostly look at Kirby's other work with appreciation but not greatness. They are good to me but they do not mesmerize. I can look at a Schomburg or especially a Feldstein cover and be captivated, looking at every nook and cranny of the cover in an effort to see what detail I missed the first time around and what else I can find. Kirby is good, but not as good as a few others.

Any chance you haven't seen all of his pre-1960s stuff? The guy was pretty amazing.

9furzY.jpg

Frazetta

Bisley

Bolton

Kirby

Ditko

I do like Keith's and Cassadays distinctive styles but they certainly don't belong on a list like this.

Leifeld has no right to be classed as an artist, never mind being on a "Best of" list.

Kirby... not the be all end all in the slightest...

Just never thought of Kirby as the "best" or even near the top. With the exception of the Fantastic Four covers, I mostly look at Kirby's other work with appreciation but not greatness. They are good to me but they do not mesmerize. I can look at a Schomburg or especially a Feldstein cover and be captivated, looking at every nook and cranny of the cover in an effort to see what detail I missed the first time around and what else I can find. Kirby is good, but not as good as a few others.

Any chance you haven't seen all of his pre-1960s stuff? The guy was pretty amazing.

9furzY.jpg

Very nice. Kirby's work evolved so much over 40+ years...every era has a distinctive look.

you can really see the age difference amongst posters by their choice of artists.

Eisner, Foster, Caniff, Cole, Raymond... they had proper artists back in those days. :preach:

Thank you.

I kept wondering if anyone was going mention Alex Raymond, who has to be one of the most influential artists of "Ever...Ever", according to many of the artists making the list.

979887c820b60b25339a5c1aa58455ed.jpg

you can really see the age difference amongst posters by their choice of artists.

Eisner, Foster, Caniff, Cole, Raymond... they had proper artists back in those days. :preach:

Thank you.

I kept wondering if anyone was going mention Alex Raymond, who has to be one of the most influential artists of "Ever...Ever", according to many of the artists making the list.

Yes - Raymond and Foster :cloud9:

Thank you.

(thumbs u

Now I have to back and finish reading the thread, see how long it took for someone to mention Matt Baker. :grin:

Thank you.

the trinity - Raymond, Foster and Milton Caniff (worship)

My personal favourite is Foster.

Thank you.

the trinity - Raymond, Foster and Milton Caniff (worship)

My personal favourite is Foster.

There is no doubt Caniff highly influenced so many others as I've heard in various interviews. Perhaps because I couldn't get into Steve Canyon or Terry and the Pirates strips (although I have the two books below with Powell art who was also great), but I don't dig his art as much as I'm sure I should. Although Dragon Lady is :cloud9:

0701131948451.jpg

0701131951121.jpg

No.

You really can see the lack of critical tools nowadays people suffer, being unable to judge what a good artist is. Not a "pleasant" artist, a good artist.

A single example: Frank Quitely.

No. Eye of the beholder...opinions. Too many "older" folks don't give enough credit to some of the newer talented artists (and vice versa). It goes both ways.

No.

Elitist vs. Non-elitist.

This is all this thread has boiled down to from the very first post onwards.

I don't recognize any of these names!

Did they do art for those two Charmin publishers? If so, I probably flushed them.

THE Age of Comics - IMAGE 1992-Present :sumo:

I'm bored at work, I just wanted to stir something up for fun :)

I do agree it's neat to see over the years who people like and which books they collect.

Many 3X and younger do collect the older ages, but I committed myself to this small piece of early 90s. (Which everyone hates ... except me)

I would find something else better to do at work :)

Edited by CxG Voodoo Doll

The mathematician in me would like to create a sensible equation to decide on the best artist in the history of comics.

Some of the factors would have to be--

1. Longevity in the field

2. Awards

3. # of Comics Sold

4. # of single issues sold

5. Innovations

6. Popularity among editors

7. Influence on other professional artists

There are other factors of course. But a factor would never be, "I really like this guy and I grew up with him".

My 10 favs, in no particular order (yours may vary so I encourage you to make your own list) ;)

1. Al Williamson (so under-rated and deserving of far more credit than shown on this list)

2. Jose Salinas (his Cisco Kid is amongst the finest of daily strip art)

3. John Romita Sr (the man can do no wrong)

4. Steve Ditko (the man on the street. Polar opposite of Kirby. Perhaps that's why I like Ditko's art so much)

5. Steranko (redefined what could be done in the medium with regard to layout, double-double page splashes, colours, design and pop art)

6. Will Eisner (layout/pacing, splash page design, artistry. Everyone in the industry has 'borrowed' from him, whether they realize it or not)

7. Dave Stevens (often imitated, never duplicated. There will never be another Dave Stevens)

8. Matt Baker (this man could draw for comics, for advertising companies, and as an illustration artist. He could do it all.)

9. Alex Schomburg (His Timely covers are beyond compare...always so much going on, especially with his wartime covers)

10. L.B. Cole (He could (and did) draw anything and everything so well, both for comics and mainstream magazines. Also, his use of colours had great eye-appeal and truly made his work stand out from his contemporaries)