• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

BLADE RUNNER 2049 First Reactions Hail Denis Villeneuve's Sci-Fi Sequel As A Ground-Breaking Masterpiece

It might be time for fans of Ridley Scott's seminal sci-fi classic to stop worrying about Denis Villeneuve's sequel, because the first reactions to Blade Runner 2049 are in and they are very positive indeed.

The movie screened for US critics and bloggers last week, and although their full reviews are still embargoed, they've all shared their enthusiastic praise for the film via Twitter.

xqZAZxT.png

lF2ZZHM.png

waALU4g.png

JEVdcll.png

How the Three 'Blade Runner 2049' Shorts Connect to the Original

After Rick Deckard closed the case on the murderous escaped Nexus-6 Replicants and then presumably fled Los Angeles with Racheal, a lot has happened. Bridging the gap between the first Blade Runner film and its new “present day” of 2049 was never going to be easy. But now, it seems there will be specific stories of what occurred in the time in between. Three new short films are poised to bridge the gap between the world of 2019 in the original Blade Runner and the forthcoming future of Blade Runner 2049.

Interestingly, at this point, the original Blade Runner is no longer a movie about the future, but something closer to meditation in an alternate present. This means the new sequel can be filled with as many anachronisms as it wants. But, that doesn’t mean this world won’t have some consistent internal mythology.

Edited by Bosco685

Yeah, reviews are strong.

Rolling Stone:  "Blade Runner  2049'  Review:  Sequel  to  Sci-Fi  Landmark  Is  an  Instant Classic

Variety:   "Make no mistake: Whereas the original “Blade Runner” was (eventually) embraced for its unrealized potential, its sequel ranks as one of the great science-fiction films of all time."

EW: "Even when its emotions risk running as cool as its palette, 2049 reaches for, and finds, something remarkable: the elevation of mainstream moviemaking to high art. A–"

Finally caved in when I saw there was a double feature with the original, just bought my ticket for tomorrow.

I've been down on this movie from the beginning as I am a firm believer that Blade Runner is a stand-alone masterpiece that never needed a follow-up, but I admit after accidentally seeing the trailer on TV that I'm intrigued enough to try it. No matter what, seeing the original on the big screen again will be worth the price of admission.