• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

Yea there are only a handful of times where the movie is that much better than a really good book. Off the top of my head I'd say, Godfather, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, and Jaws.

... And every Stanley Kubrick adaptation

The Shining is a terrible book. But you're right about A Clockwork Orange, that's an awesome book and a better movie. I'm not sure that 2001 counts.

I disagree, The Shining is a great book and I prefer it to the movie. (thumbs u

Yes.

I assume the final cut is a remastered directors cut version (deckard is a replicant)

Wow! I didn't even know this wiki existed.

Versions of Blade Runner

-------------------

The Final Cut contains the original full-length version of the unicorn dream, which had never been in any version, and has been restored. Additionally, all of the additional violence and alternate edits from the international cut have been inserted.

-------------------

With that dream sequence included, this would lean towards Deckard being the sixth replicant. But I need to watch it to confirm this.

iMDB has a very thorough breakout of the difference between the cuts.

Blade Runner Alternate Versions

----------------------

In 2007, Ridley Scott released "Blade Runner: The Final Cut", digitally remastered with improved visual and sound effects, and with numerous revisions to the 1992 Director's Cut. The more noticeable differences between The Director's Cut and The Final Cut include:

•The overall film has been brightened considerably, revealing previously hidden details in many shots. Additionally, the digital enhancement reveals many heretofore obscured details, such as dirty dishes in Deckard's apartment and a freeway high above Pris as she approaches the Bradbury.

•The opening credits have been completely redone, although in the exact same font as in the original film. The noticeable shimmer effect from the theatrical cut and the Director's Cut has been removed.

•In the opening shot, the flames shooting up have been re-animated to look more synchronized with the associated light play on the smokestacks.

•In the shots of the staring eye, you can briefly see the pupil react to the setting of 2019 L.A.

•A couple of shots were trimmed (such as Deckard's intro reading the newspaper).

•Additional smoke was added behind the cook when Gaff (Edward James Olmos) and a police officer are talking to Deckard while he is eating at the White Dragon.

•All spinner wires have been removed and matte lines erased.

•Bryant's (M. Emmet Walsh) line "I've got four skin jobs walking the streets" has been improved so it's not obviously an inserted recording.

•Bryant says that "2" replicants were fried in the electrical field (as opposed to the theatrical release and Director's Cut, where he says only 1 was killed).

•Bryant describes Leon's job during the incept tapes scene.

•New Cityspeak and other chatter comes over on the police scanner in Gaff's spinner rides both to the police station and the Tyrell building.

•The original shot of Roy (Rutger Hauer) in the VidPhone booth that had been recycled from the later confrontation with Tyrell (Joe Turkel) has been digitally altered so that it truly does look like Roy was in the booth. The thumb on his shoulder has also been digitally removed from the shot.

•The hotel manager mutters "Kowalski" as he opens the door to Leon's (Brion James) room for Deckard and Gaff.

•The new Unicorn footage is longer and shows Deckard to be awake during the sequence. This is how Ridley Scott and editor Terry Rawlings originally conceived of the scene. Deckard is shown staring into space, and there is a cut to the unicorn. The film then cuts back to Deckard and again cuts back to the unicorn, before returning to Deckard once more. The shot of the unicorn which appeared in the Director's Cut has also been recolored, and the sound mix has been completely redone.

•The blue grid lines on the Esper machine have been reanimated, to make them look less smooth.

•When Deckard finds Zhora lying down in the back room on the photo, the image is now that of Joanna Cassidy; previously, it was clearly someone else.

•New footage of the LA streets before Animoid Row and Taffy Lewis's club, including the hockey-masked geisha dancers.

•The serial number on the snake scale now matches the Animoid Row lady's dialog.

•There is a shot of Deckard asking for directions to Taffy Lewis' from a uniformed policeman.

•The lip flap between Deckard and Abdul Ben Hassan has been digitally corrected (using Harrison Ford's son, Ben, as a stand-in for his mouth movements).

•In Zhora's death scene, you can tell it is her the entire time; previously it was obvious that her stunt double, Lee Pulford, was in the shot. Joanna Cassidy's head was digitally superimposed over Pulford's.

•Deckard's cut after retiring Zhora was digitally removed (it wasn't supposed to be there until after the fight with Leon).

•The marquee inconsistencies on the Million Dollar Theatre have been corrected.

•During Roy's confrontation with Tyrell, he says, "I want more life, father", as opposed to "I want more life, ".

•When Roy kills Tyrell, the footage is the same as that found in the International Cut, with the additional violence. Additionally, when Roy turns to Sebastian, he says "I'm sorry, Sebastian. Come. Come", as he walks towards him.

•When Pris (Daryl Hannah) attacks Deckard, she reaches down and grabs him by the nostrils

•When Deckard shoots Pris, he shoots 3 times instead of 2.

•The two shadows (of Ridley Scott and Jordan Cronenweth) seen on the wall during the chase sequence have been removed.

•When Roy pushes the nail through his hand, there is a shot of the nail coming through the skin on the other side.

•When Roy releases the dove, it now flies up into a background that matches 2019 L.A.

•The music which plays over the end credits is a newly composed piece by Vangelis; a different version of the 'End Credits' theme as heard in all other cuts.

•In the closing credits, David L. Snyder is now listed as 'David L. Snyder', instead of 'David Snyder'. Additionally, Ben Astar is now credited for playing the role of Abdul Ben Hassan.

----------------------

:o

I assume the final cut is a remastered directors cut version (deckard is a replicant)

Wow! I didn't even know this wiki existed.

Versions of Blade Runner

-------------------

The Final Cut contains the original full-length version of the unicorn dream, which had never been in any version, and has been restored. Additionally, all of the additional violence and alternate edits from the international cut have been inserted.

-------------------

With that dream sequence included, this would lean towards Deckard being the sixth replicant. But I need to watch it to confirm this.

I watched it last night. First of all, it is indeed still a phenomenal film, no question. Beautifully shot, beautifully lit, perfectly paced, excellent mood, well fleshed out characters with interesting but not obscure motivations, etc. etc. etc.

There isn't actually a "missing" replicant. We're told that there were six in Roy group originally...two died in the initial attack on Tyrell, and we see the deaths of the other four over the course of the film. I do remember thinking, for years, and after repeat watchings, that there was a missing replicant, but at least in this version there is not. Perhaps it was originally one that died in the first attack on Tyrell, and they changed it to two? But that seems like an odd thing to do, so who knows?

One could assume that it's a lie told to Deckard that two died in the original attack, but there's nothing to suggest this. Just as easy to assume there were originally seven, and Deckard is that seventh. Easier to believe he's just another replicant, not part of Roy's group. On the flip side, Roy does know Deckard's name at the end, with no obvious means of learning it. But that's pretty thin, and there are other "coincidences" in this movie that should be overlooked as "Movie Magic."

I'm super rusty on my Blade Runner trivia, but I could swear that at one time Harrison Ford was either A) dismissive of the movie, and/or B) unhappy with the working experience.

Something about Sean Young, perhaps?

Am I wrong? Did he come around?

Ah, I see they did change it from one dead in the initial attack to two. I wonder why they did that? To make Deckard not be part of Roy's group? Perhaps he was captured, not killed, and got some brain wipe action or whatever? Seems like a strange thing to do.

I watched it last night. First of all, it is indeed still a phenomenal film, no question. Beautifully shot, beautifully lit, perfectly paced, excellent mood, well fleshed out characters with interesting but not obscure motivations, etc. etc. etc.

There isn't actually a "missing" replicant. We're told that there were six in Roy group originally...two died in the initial attack on Tyrell, and we see the deaths of the other four over the course of the film. I do remember thinking, for years, and after repeat watchings, that there was a missing replicant, but at least in this version there is not. Perhaps it was originally one that died in the first attack on Tyrell, and they changed it to two? But that seems like an odd thing to do, so who knows?

One could assume that it's a lie told to Deckard that two died in the original attack, but there's nothing to suggest this. Just as easy to assume there were originally seven, and Deckard is that seventh. Easier to believe he's just another replicant, not part of Roy's group. On the flip side, Roy does know Deckard's name at the end, with no obvious means of learning it. But that's pretty thin, and there are other "coincidences" in this movie that should be overlooked as "Movie Magic."

It's one of the modification of the Final Cut that accounts for all six. I just found that in the summary of the iMDB details.

--------------------

•Bryant's (M. Emmet Walsh) line "I've got four skin jobs walking the streets" has been improved so it's not obviously an inserted recording.

•Bryant says that "2" replicants were fried in the electrical field (as opposed to the theatrical release and Director's Cut, where he says only 1 was killed).

--------------------

In the original cut, Bryant's says one (1) died in the electrical field, leading to one replicant never being accounted for. Based on this modification in the Final Cut, even with the unicorn scene being added back in, then Deckard is human.

It's one of the modification of the Final Cut that accounts for all six. I just found that in the summary of the iMDB details.

--------------------

--------------------

In the original cut, Bryant's says one (1) died in the electrical field, leading to one replicant never being accounted for. Based on this modification in the Final Cut, even with the unicorn scene being added back in, then Deckard is human.

I don't think so. I'd say the unicorn is still pretty strong evidence that he's a replicant. But why they'd change it from one to two, I can't explain. I also just prefer him to be a replicant, it makes for a more interesting set of possible reads on his character.

I don't think so. I'd say the unicorn is still pretty strong evidence that he's a replicant. But why they'd change it from one to two, I can't explain. I also just prefer him to be a replicant, it makes for a more interesting set of possible reads on his character.

Maybe this is the intent, though. Based on the viewer and what they desire that ending to be, Deckard has the ability to either be human or an unaccounted-for replicant.

It may have been better leaving the count at five, and maintaining the sixth replicant mystery. I kind of liked that potential twist to the story it was Deckard.

--------------------

--------------------

so if I have Unicorn dream sequences, does that mean I'm a replicant?

--------------------

--------------------

so if I have Unicorn dream sequences, does that mean I'm a replicant?

If Castillo knows about them and makes little origami unicorns to taunt/warn you, then it does, yes. :sumo:

Maybe this is the intent, though. Based on the viewer and what they desire that ending to be, Deckard has the ability to either be human or an unaccounted-for replicant.

It may have been better leaving the count at five, and maintaining the sixth replicant mystery. I kind of liked that potential twist to the story it was Deckard.

When I was a kid, I definitely felt super smart when I realized there was an unaccounted-for replicant and that Deckard could well be it. If I were seeing that for the first now, as an adult, I bet it'd be pretty obvious.

So what`s the better of these two?

Director`s Cut or Final Cut?

Final Cut is considered the best from all the reviews I have read.

I will watch it tonight. I will be back tomorrow with the review.

I have only seen the narrative one with Harrison Ford. I love that version.

I hope I like the Final Cut like that. :wishluck: