• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blade Runner 2 on the way care of Ridley Scott
2 2

460 posts in this topic

The only question I have is

"Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?"

Sadly, Philip K. D-ick has been gone since the 1980s, and without his singular visionary talent to plot the story and invent the futuristic world in which it takes place, I don't see a sequel doing justice to the original.

I still haven't seen Blade Runner. Every time I mention it to anyone the consensus is I'm not missing much.

One of the problems with Blade Runner is there is now, what? 6 different cuts of the movie.

I have a soft spot for the original U.S. Theatrical cut because that's what the movie was when I was growing up. But the voice-over, while giving a noir 30's detective movie feel, tends to dumb the movie down a bit. And the ending feels exactly like what it is: tacked on.

I haven't seen the Final Cut, but the digital restoration on Blu-Ray is supposed to be amazing. But I have seen the Director's Cut, and I actually think I prefer it to the original release.

Just a word to prep you: the Director's Cut (and from what I've read of the Final Cut) are subtle films. There's several almost subliminal shots and not everything is spelled out. It requires the audience to think about what they're seeing. While the movie varies quite a bit from the book, if you've read the book and are familiar with it's themes it will help you understand the movie. When watching it for the first time, give it your undivided attention.

It's an artful movie, meant to provoke thought and discussion. And it looks awesome!

Blade Runner is that rare example of the movie being better than the book, when the book is pretty darn good.

But the premise of the movie is pure PKD.

I'm not saying it's not. But the movie is classically epically awesome, and the book is just really good.

Yea there are only a handful of times where the movie is that much better than a really good book. Off the top of my head I'd say, Godfather, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, and Jaws.

While I think a sequel is unnecessary, and probably impossible to live up to the first installment, I've liked every Ridley Scott movie I've ever seen. I'd say Gladiator had a major flaw for me at the end when they were whispering in the middle of the Colosseum and it seemed as if the entire crowd could hear, but other than that, the seven or eight movies I've seen directed by him have been great. Legend is possibly my favorite movie ever.

Edited by dupont2005

Yea there are only a handful of times where the movie is that much better than a really good book. Off the top of my head I'd say, Godfather, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, and Jaws.

... And every Stanley Kubrick adaptation

The Shining is a terrible book. But you're right about A Clockwork Orange, that's an awesome book and a better movie. I'm not sure that 2001 counts.

I wonder if people like Dune the movie or book more?

Awesome, groundbreaking book. movie, and David Lynch is one of my Top One directors!

The movie has grown on me. Anytime a have a spare 12 hours I throw it in.

My all-time favorite movie as well (although I hated Inception)

just curious, why do you hate inception ?

blade runner was ahead of its time. I didnt appreciate it as a kid though, bored outta my wits. some movies are like wine I guess...2001 is in the same boat.

I think my expectations for Inception were just too high, people were just raving about it so much that it could never live up to it all, at least for me. I often enjoy some lesser movies for exactly this reason, my expectations being so low that I am pleasantly surprised.

I've been meaning to give inception another chance, maybe I'll do that soon.