• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Is this where we go to belly ache?

lol Just had to chuckle at that.

We're a step away from henny-clucking :banana:

:roflmao: I say F that dealer,he lost a sale.Bye! :hi: Who the hell needs twenty pages of belly ache,although it does make for some entertaining reading.

Is this where we go to belly ache?

lol Just had to chuckle at that.

We're a step away from henny-clucking :banana:

:roflmao: I say F that dealer,he lost a sale.Bye! :hi: Who the hell needs twenty pages of belly ache,although it does make for some entertaining reading.

I ain't got shi t else ta do right now.... :insane:

After reading many of the posts in this milky way galaxy of a thread I think perhaps the saddest thing about this all is the poor "10$/hr." employee who probably got his behind chewed out for creating this"spoon" storm. Dreams of working in comic book collecting?...dreams of owning your own store kid?....POOF!Call me crazy but said employee might have gotten in less trouble for just selling the book in the first place, me thinks, rather then having the booth owner re-neg.#LEH

What is the minimum wage in Canada nowadays?

A loonie, a toonie, and a shinplaster an hour.

After reading many of the posts in this milky way galaxy of a thread I think perhaps the saddest thing about this all is the poor "10$/hr." employee who probably got his behind chewed out for creating this"spoon" storm. Dreams of working in comic book collecting?...dreams of owning your own store kid?....POOF!Call me crazy but said employee might have gotten in less trouble for just selling the book in the first place, me thinks, rather then having the booth owner re-neg.#LEH

What is the minimum wage in Canada nowadays?

A loonie, a toonie, and a shinplaster an hour.

:D

Minimum wage in Ontario is $11/hr.

If so, I've seen them many times at cons. Have nice books, but they're radically overpriced, all the time.

They, like many dealers out ther, genuinely have no clue how to grade.

They just either price books at what they think the market is for a particular book or a percentage over what they paid.

since they are still around obviously someone is buying their overgraded overpriced stuff. Therefore, their buyers are just as clueless.

I bought hundreds of books from them over the years when they used to set up at the American shows. It's been a couple years since I've seen them. They had as good of deals as one could expect considering the table costs of exhibiting.

I know dealers who "got burnt" by selling books "too low"...

They did this for a couple of years.

But guess what happened?

Everyone talked about the great deals, and as a result, people see these dealers FIRST.

And they have reaped a great harvest of sales...even if their prices aren't anywhere near as "giveaway" as they used to be.

However, they now have an established reputation for being "the best deal in the room", and have done extremely well.

What would you rather have....? That? Or the "this dealer's a who raises prices after the deal's been struck"...?

So many millions...literally millions...of dollars not going to these people because of things like this.

Capitalistic Darwinism. It's a beauty.

Name names, out them now! Ugh, wait :gossip: I think I know who one of them is. :banana: Move along- nothing to see here.

Yesterday I went to fan expo, had my eye on a nice book, I negotiated with one of the workers and finally decided I would be willing to pay full price as it was becoming a hassle. We cut a deal for 300 dollars, as I am ready to pay I am told wait hold on. After I had made a deal one of the other members behind the booth was looking up all ebay prices, I was not entirely sure what he was doing at first until I was told after I had made a deal that the price was no longer 300 instead it is now 800. Has anyone else experienced this?

A deal is a deal, so this seller's a spoon.

Can't help lol when it happens to someone trying to play the movie hype game though.

You are right, most of the time there is no point in going to a booth after a few of the usual suspects have hit it. Big cons are picked relatively clean of good flipping material well before the doors open to the public.

Hearing this makes me feel really sad :/lol

x2 Guess I shouldn't go to Baltimore then, I can't make it until Sunday. :sorry:

Not entirely true. I have picked up great deals on the last day of many shows. You just have to be patient and know where to look.

THIS

You are right, most of the time there is no point in going to a booth after a few of the usual suspects have hit it. Big cons are picked relatively clean of good flipping material well before the doors open to the public.

x2 Guess I shouldn't go to Baltimore then, I can't make it until Sunday. :sorry:

Not entirely true. I have picked up great deals on the last day of many shows. You just have to be patient and know where to look.

THIS

+ This. You have to take a few minutes and pick through stuff. :acclaim:

Can't help lol when it happens to someone trying to play the movie hype game though.

Sometimes movie hype forces people to buy books they had put off buying, before it goes any higher, pretty big assumption to make that just because its FF45 its to flip.

Also, Marvel/Disney is permanently skewing the semi-key market. While not all the highs will hold, some of it will never go back to what it was.

Sometimes movie hype forces people to buy books they had put off buying, before it goes any higher, pretty big assumption to make that just because its FF45 its to flip.

Also, Marvel/Disney is permanently skewing the semi-key market. While not all the highs will hold, some of it will never go back to what it was.

I was going off this comment.

You need to out the dealer. And $800 for a raw mid-grade?

Please send me an additional $500 for the 7.5 slab I just sold you Venom.

-Dave

If so, I've seen them many times at cons. Have nice books, but they're radically overpriced, all the time.

They just either price books at what they think the market is for a particular book or a percentage over what they paid.

since they are still around obviously someone is buying their overgraded overpriced stuff. Therefore, their buyers are just as clueless.

I would say many customers (like dealers) don't know how to grade either. (shrug)

Grading is a tough thing to learn. It takes patience and dedication. Most customers just want to collect comics.

Yeah, the notion that 'all the good stuff is gone' is just a myth. I've gone through boxes when other dealers have gone through them and found terrific stuff.

Dealers might pick up the 'low hanging fruit' that is jumping out at them on a wall but you can't possibly scour an entire show in 2 or 3 or even 4 days. You just need to be persistent and patient and dig through a few boxes, and honestly that is a large part of the fun of going to a show.

I would say many customers (like dealers) don't know how to grade either. (shrug)

Grading is a tough thing to learn. It takes patience and dedication. Most customers just want to collect comics.

I agree. My comment above is rather harsh and I shouldn't have said it, especially since I myself have bought books from them! :baiting: I apologise if it offended anyone, it was not my intent.

They sold a convention buyer the VG copy of Xmen 4 for $2000.00. My comment above is more regarding a buyer like that, who doesn't really know what they are spending their money on and are in a way relying on the expertise of the comic dealer. It disgusted me that a comic dealer could grade that book a VF when it had a subscription crease that broke color AND a 2 inch long bottom right corner bend that went through the entire book. I can understand the subjectivity regarding raw books, but calling a book VF when it is really a VG at best is grossly exaggerated.

I agree. My comment above is rather harsh and I shouldn't have said it, especially since I myself have bought books from them! :baiting: I apologise if it offended anyone, it was not my intent.

The truth comes out!!! lol

I've bought the odd thing from them, too.

They sold a convention buyer the VG copy of Xmen 4 for $2000.00. My comment above is more regarding a buyer like that, who doesn't really know what they are spending their money on and are in a way relying on the expertise of the comic dealer. It disgusted me that a comic dealer could grade that book a VF when it had a subscription crease that broke color AND a 2 inch long bottom right corner bend that went through the entire book. I can understand the subjectivity regarding raw books, but calling a book VF when it is really a VG at best is grossly exaggerated.

I think it's only wrong if the person doing it actually doesn't know how to grade. If they're doing and know better, then that's not cool.

Grading should only be subjective now when it's something like VF or VF-, really it shouldn't be out any further than that now in my opinion.

I tend to notice when sellers say grading is subjective, they can't grade or purposely over grade.