• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Without giving any of the specifics out...

Recently at a New York show a very well known national dealer had a raw Hulk 1. He quoted a price to my friend before showing him the book and said no discount.

He was fairly emphatic and said if you don't buy it at this price, I will slab it, but if you pay full price I'll sell it.

My friend looked at the book and asked what my opinion was. I said I'd buy it and it looked nice. My friend said, I'll take it at full price.

The dealer pulled the book back and said, no I can't sell it to you, I have to CGC it.

That to me is a no-no.

It happens a lot. (thumbs u

I don't have a problem if they say I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it, but you can't price it and then decide you aren't selling it.

Oh, I know and agree with you. Just backing you up that it does happen.

Why would a dealer display a book if they have no intention of selling it?

Lots of reasons.

One I can think of is because sometimes inventory, really cool inventory is tough to come by and some dealers would rather hang on to a new piece a bit longer to show it off than just sell it immediately.

So they price it at what they think is a strong number and then if someone bites on their price the tendency can be to think that maybe they sold it too cheap.

Without giving any of the specifics out...

Recently at a New York show a very well known national dealer had a raw Hulk 1. He quoted a price to my friend before showing him the book and said no discount.

He was fairly emphatic and said if you don't buy it at this price, I will slab it, but if you pay full price I'll sell it.

My friend looked at the book and asked what my opinion was. I said I'd buy it and it looked nice. My friend said, I'll take it at full price.

The dealer pulled the book back and said, no I can't sell it to you, I have to CGC it.

That to me is a no-no.

It happens a lot. (thumbs u

I don't have a problem if they say I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it, but you can't price it and then decide you aren't selling it.

Oh, I know and agree with you. Just backing you up that it does happen.

You absolutely CAN do it, it just happens to be a bad business practice and MIGHT be breaking some regulations of the Uniform Commercial Code, depending on the circumstances.

Lots of reasons.

One I can think of is because sometimes inventory, really cool inventory is tough to come by and some dealers would rather hang on to a new piece a bit longer to show it off than just sell it immediately.

So they price it at what they think is a strong number and then if someone bites on their price the tendency can be to think that maybe they sold it too cheap.

Boy, I don't know. I think if you put a price on it and put it out for display, you better be willing to sell it at that price.

Lots of reasons.

Boy, I don't know. I think if you put a price on it and put it out for display, you better be willing to sell it at that price.

I agree 100% - I'm simply examining one of the possible reasons a dealer might pull a deal. I'm not saying it's OK.

Just like you have buyer's remorse, some dealers have seller's remorse.

While what the dealer did was a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move, if it was an $800 comic with a $300 price tag maybe instead of trying to haggle down to $250 you should have handed over the $300 and gotten out of there before he had a chance to research it?

well, it doesn't sound like the dealer accepted the deal if he is still researching

The book had a price tag, and was on display in a booth at a comic convention. The OP was haggling for a deal, then gave up and agreed to just buy it at the listed price.

The dealer blocked his own listed price from going through, after using the customer's interest in buying the book at his listed price, as a reason to hop on ebay and look at completed sales.

He then raised the price to 267% of it's previous price

Not much can really be said in defense of such a thing. Guys do it in their online shops and stores, which is already terrible, but at least something can be said about it. But, the book was chosen to be brought to the con, priced, and put on display.....not like it was in some warehouse or a long box in the back of the store.

I was referring to the hypothetical being posed...and I also misread the hypothetical to boot!

"My friend looked at the book and asked what my opinion was. I said I'd buy it and it looked nice. My friend said, I'll take it at full price."

I'd kick that "friend" in the knee caps!

Some dealers I know have what they call WallCandy....books to draw people in to look that are not for sale.

A good friend has a Whiz #2 that he has no intention of selling,he just puts it up so people will stop and look,talk,get acquainted.No price tag on it though.

While what the dealer did was a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move, if it was an $800 comic with a $300 price tag maybe instead of trying to haggle down to $250 you should have handed over the $300 and gotten out of there before he had a chance to research it?

Apparently it wasn't an $800 book.

Some dealers I know have what they call WallCandy....books to draw people in to look that are not for sale.

A good friend has a Whiz #2 that he has no intention of selling,he just puts it up so people will stop and look,talk,get acquainted.No price tag on it though.

That makes sense to me. No price tag and be up front if someone asks.

And those are the dealers I avoid and never buy from every. If I want to window shop I will stay home on the internet. :eyeroll:

And those are the dealers I avoid and never buy from every. If I want to window shop I will stay home on the internet. :eyeroll:

Actually they often have very nice stuff and only sell by guide price or less.A Whiz 2 is quite the eye candy...

Plus,we are talking small local monthly shows,not big dealer cons ect.Free admittance and not expensive to set up.Very good.deals.to be had from old time,thirty plus year sellers.It's nice to sit and chat and look I find.Plus a good way to make friends.

Actually they often have very nice stuff and only sell by guide price or less.A Whiz 2 is quite the eye candy...

Plus,we are talking small local monthly shows,not big dealer cons ect.Free admittance and not expensive to set up.Very good.deals.to be had from old time,thirty plus year sellers.It's nice to sit and chat and look I find.Plus a good way to make friends.

I have done this, where I put a book on my wall display that will catch the attention of people walking by especially at the small shows. To me it is a form of advertising that says I can get books like this for you if you ask.

My books have price tags on them that I WILL sell them for. I have learned to not put anything up for on my wall if you don't want to sell it. I leave my keepers at home now.

That makes sense to me. No price tag and be up front if someone asks.

I've had plenty of books on my display that were not for sale and just for show. I'd often bring personal books and display them at shows but I was open about them not being for sale.

When people asked why I brought them I just said "because I want to share them". It's a comic show and sometimes it's nice to just share books you don't often see.

I agree that it's all in how you present the situation. Be upfront and follow through.

A couple of times I got asked if i had a price I would accept on the 'not for sale' books. I'd throw out a number and I'd definitely follow through if someone anted up. Thankfully, nobody ever did!

People always ask me how much are my Woodgods and I say NO SALE.

Then if they say well I just want to look at it I say 'You've seen enough of that one'

tumblr_lud0smwtR41qjf4i4o1_500.png