• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

Based on the new post the only person who should be upset is the guy who tried to do the cash/trade deal.

Instead of getting cute he should have paid the $300 and walked away with the book.

So negotiating is 'getting cute' now?

Negotiating when you know that FF #45 is a hot new movie book and that if it is a VF+ and sells for $925 graded is "getting cute". Why negotiate? Making $500+ isn't enough? You got to rub it in a little more? Why?

Sometimes I ask about trade value for a book I no longer want to hold on to. A vf/nm copy of NM 98 is not an insignificant book to throw in to lower the price of the other book.

Yes we made the deal.

Then why did venom make this damn thread in the first place? :makepoint:(shrug)

That's my question. If he ended up with the book anyway, what's all the fuss. He needs to chime in here. Lot's of drama on these boards tonight.

Based on the new post the only person who should be upset is the guy who tried to do the cash/trade deal.

Instead of getting cute he should have paid the $300 and walked away with the book.

So negotiating is 'getting cute' now?

Negotiating when you know that FF #45 is a hot new movie book and that if it is a VF+ and sells for $925 graded is "getting cute". Why negotiate? Making $500+ isn't enough? You got to rub it in a little more? Why?

Sometimes I ask about trade value for a book I no longer want to hold on to. A vf/nm copy of NM 98 is not an insignificant book to throw in to lower the price of the other book.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't consider a cash+trade a "lowball," as the seller stated.

I think a price given once to someone at a show should be good for the duration of the show.

I don't think dealers should insult their customers by calling them lowballers. I think that's a "little bit" of an insult.

I don't think dealers should question a customer's motives for doing business with them. Their business should be enough.

People on both sides of a transaction should take the high road, but a dealer should always take the high road. A lot of people on the low road in this thread.

Just my 2c

Raw VF-VF+'s sell for about 400

I sold a raw VF FF #45 for $650 8/15, had it priced at $750 so I'm not sure where you are pulling this price out of.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've been selling raw VG+(4.5) for nearly $300.00 without

any discounts.

NM 98 is a modern book and frankly if you know a movie is coming why are you even discussing trade. You are looking at $100 bills on a wall, step up and buy it. End of story. Don't introduce any resistance from the guy selling the book who may not care one bit about Deadpool and how great the book is. Show the cash, pay and walk away.

NM 98 is a modern book and frankly if you know a movie is coming why are you even discussing trade. You are looking at $100 bills on a wall, step up and buy it. End of story. Don't introduce any resistance from the guy selling the book who may not care one bit about Deadpool and how great the book is. Show the cash, pay and walk away.

(worship)

"I think a price given once to someone at a show should be good for the duration of the show"

Unless the person asks me that price is only good for the time they are in front of the booth.

In San Diego they announced Ultron, would I have to honor a price on Avengers #55 given on preview night when they announced it over the weekend?

Well to be fair you weren't at the booth for the initial talks and you priced a raw book at slab prices-that doesn't look good

Raw books and slabbed books sell for similar prices all the time. There is no delineating line.

The tighter the grading of the dealer who is selling the book, the more he is going to get for his book.

I'm not sure I buy that. Raw comics in roughly the same grade always sell for less except the really hot books. They get close in price in only when the book is in high demand. My 2c

Of course it depends on the book, the market, etc...I didn't mean to sound like raw and graded books sell for the same prices all the time but there are many, many books where the price of the raw book rises and falls with GPA.

And of course the tighter the grader, the closer to GPA the book will sell.

That's just simple market dynamics 101 because if a buyer feels confident that they are getting a well graded book they will pay more for it than if they don't have the confidence.

"I think a price given once to someone at a show should be good for the duration of the show"

Unless the person asks me that price is only good for the time they are in front of the booth.

In San Diego they announced Ultron, would I have to honor a price on Avengers #55 given on preview night when they announced it over the weekend?

reasonable

Well to be fair you weren't at the booth for the initial talks and you priced a raw book at slab prices-that doesn't look good

Raw books and slabbed books sell for similar prices all the time. There is no delineating line.

The tighter the grading of the dealer who is selling the book, the more he is going to get for his book.

I'm not sure I buy that. Raw comics in roughly the same grade always sell for less except the really hot books. They get close in price in only when the book is in high demand. My 2c

Of course it depends on the book, the market, etc...I didn't mean to sound like raw and graded books sell for the same prices all the time but there are many, many books where the price of the raw book rises and falls with GPA.

And of course the tighter the grader, the closer to GPA the book will sell.

That's just simple market dynamics 101 because if a buyer feels confident that they are getting a well graded book they will pay more for it than if they don't have the confidence.

Also IMO there must be a lot of people with more $ than brains. Hardest dealing I ever experienced was at fan expo. I'm not thinking of this current deal as I say that. All dealers said sales were going well when I asked.

From reading your comments in the thread you're probably too smart to make such an offer during SDCC, but your point is a good one!