• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer changing the price

671 posts in this topic

I sold a book yesterday and found out afterwards I could have sold it for double or triple my price. It happens. The guy should not be allowed to change his price once a deal was made.

I'd say who it was.

Some just aren't interested until a buyer shows interest, and that's their signal to do a minimal bit of on-the-spot research.

For buyers it means how quickly they can identify they're wasting their time and get the hell away.

It always amazes me that these guys will pay enough money to set up at a huge convention, but then cant even pay one of their minimum wage employees to keep their inventory prices up to date. I mean, if you are a dealer, isnt it your job to price your product properly. Not use your customers to do your job for you, and then screw the intelligent ones in hopes of hosing the less experienced ones...

Not cool. Then again, I'm not surprised that some dealers (especially the amateurs and weekend warriors) are skittish right now -- it's an extremely volatile market for hot, movie-hyped books, and sellers are afraid of getting burned by sharks and flippers (not applying either of those labels to the OP, btw).

That doesn't excuse the guy from backing out of the deal, of course. But with former dollar books becoming overnight 3-to-4 figure sensations (and then some!), it's clear that the landscape for buyers and sellers is changing very rapidly, and not always for the better...

Let me know the name so I'm sure to never do business with them.

Exactly.

Yep, they deserve to be outed here. If they think this is an acceptable way to do business we should know who to avoid. Maybe if they see this here it may sink in that this wasn't appropriate.

If they are on the boards I'd suggest they give you the book for $300 instead of having you out them. They would lose way more than a overpriced F4 #45.

That doesn't excuse the guy from backing out of the deal, of course. But with former dollar books becoming overnight 3-to-4 figure sensations (and then some!), it's clear that the landscape for buyers and sellers is changing very rapidly, and not always for the better...

I think this is kind of backwards logic. The fact the dealers have a golden opportunity to make money on books they couldnt before, means all the more reason to do your job well, and at the very least pay some kid $10 an hour to price your stuff out for you on ebay before you go and pay thousands to set it up at a major convention....