• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 67 or Thor 165?

173 posts in this topic

Pricing reflects scarcity in high grade, not the level of 'keyness':

FF67: 26 copies 9.6 or better

Thor165: 13 copies 9.6 or better

MPremiere1: 41 copies 9.6 or better

How do you explain the price difference for the slabs lower than 9.6 then?

hm

hm

What price differences that can't be accounted for by scarcity? Last GPA sales:

FF67

$150 in 6.5

$234 in 8.0

Thor165

$30 in 6.5

$326 in 8.0

MP1 is cheaper than both, yet is arguably the greater of the 3 keys.

These price differences…

You're data is bad. That CGC 6.5 Thor 165 was sold LAST JUNE 2013…not exactly current data my friend. A CGC 4.5 sold for $64 in August.

I think we'll begin to see the census numbers on Thor 165 catching up to FF67 over the next year. This is what it looks like now…lower census numbers, higher market prices.

CGC 9.4

FF # 67 = $800 (50)

Thor # 165 = $1,100 (29)

Marvel Premiere # 1 = $400 (65)

CGC 9.0

FF # 67 = $330 (63)

Thor # 165 = $415 (41)

Marvel Premiere # 1 = $160 (48)

CGC 8.0

FF # 67 = $225 (64)

Thor # 165 = $320 (29)

Marvel Premiere # 1 = $150? (26)

MP1 is cheaper than both, yet is arguably the first appearance of Warlock and the greater of the 3 keys.

The argument that never dies.

My vote is that the the Nightwing treatment makes the most sense - "HIM becomes Adam Warlock" and then no "1st appearance of Adam Warlock." Many people seem resistant to this, but it seems like the obvious and best route to go based on precedent.

These price differences…

I think we'll begin to see the census numbers on Thor 165 catching up to FF67 over the next year. This is what it looks like now…lower census numbers, higher market prices.

Agreed, and that was my point, that the difference in scarcity between the three comics accounted for their price differentials, and not any market perception of greater importance to the Marvel Universe (what I called 'keyness').

These price differences…

Agreed, and that was my point, that the difference in scarcity between the three comics accounted for their price differentials, and not any market perception of greater importance to the Marvel Universe (what I called 'keyness').

I also agree. And, I don't know how others that have read the Thor books feel... but the story arc is pretty freaking terrible while, in my opinion, the FF arc is really a solid little story that still works today.

The 165 cover is awesome though and may be the "nothing else matters" factor.

These price differences…

It's easy to paint it with a broad brush and chalk up all of the price differential to the difference in census numbers….I don't thinks that's valid though. Put the census numbers aside and let's look at the number of CGC 9.4s that have come to market (per GPA) in 2014:

4 copies of FF #67 for a 90day average of $823.

3 copies of THOR #165 for an average of ~$1,000.

CGC 9.0

5 copies of FF #67 for an average of ~$310.

6 copies of THOR #165 for an average of ~$440.

I think the 'on the market' comparison is a better gauge. Who really takes census numbers in to account when making buying decisions? Are people really saying…there are 63 copies of FF67 in CGC 9.0 and only 41 of THOR165 so I'm going to pay a $130 premium because it's 'rarer'…I don't think so.