• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on scratches & scuffs on CGC cases

53 posts in this topic

You should also apologize for saying CGC bags can protect slabs, those things are ratty and gross.

lol

True, I always swap them out with the crystal clear mylars.

:cloud9:

Apologies to anyone I may have offended last night, I had too much to drink, but that is no excuse. Scratches happen and they aren't a big deal, although it is good when sellers disclose any case issues upfront in a listing. I was also wrong to assume that someone on welfare that lives in a crack den is unable to safely handle and store their CGC cases, that is stereotyping.

Fair play to you for having the balls to write this. :applause:

And I agree about the disclosure by sellers. (thumbs u

I think that we should all agree as collectors that receiving a case with scuff & scratches is bothersome in respects to visual appeal. However we should all agree that the bottom line is it does not determine the value of the book inside. Its just there to protect it. Based on some of the statements then should we be bent if the bag holding a raw book is scuffed up? #LEH. What about the backing board ? Oh no how would you grade that! I have actually gotten slabbed books from sellers with slight cracks and even tape on them and honestly no I do not personally care, I am just happy knowing the book inside is safe and sound. However when I go to sell the book; yes I am concerned about the person buying it picking the point.Everybody know s how eBay is. So best policy here is to disclose b4 the sale any markings on the case itself. 'Nuff Said!

These are my favorite questions through eBay that pop up from time to time...

"Is the case free from any blemishes, scratches, or scuffs?"

"What grade would you give the case?"

Grade for a slab case? lol

maybe CVA could add this to their product offerings

What ever happened to CVA? Did they run out of stickers?

If I'm cracking the slab and keeping the book raw, the condition of the case means nothing to me (as long as there does not seem to be any damage to the book).

If it's a signature label, I expect the slab to be as pristine as possible. For me, the case is part of the presentation. Of course there will be a scratch here and there, but so long as it does not detract from the presentation, I'm ok.

But I usually avoid the issue by simply subbing the book for signature myself. There are not many signatures or books out there you cannot obtain on your own with a little patience. (thumbs u