• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on scratches & scuffs on CGC cases

53 posts in this topic

Over the years I have obtained many CGC cases with scuffs and scratches. It seemed logical enough that unless you sub'd a book directly or bought it from a dealer who sub'd directly that there will be for the most part flaws with the case when it comes to buying a slab that has changed multiple hands or a flipped slab.

Wondering what the CGC mob consensus is on scratches and scuffs on a case. Someone I recently sold a slabbed to brought to my attention a very small scratch on the outside of the case that you could not see in the picture; only with a very close up view. Truth is I did not even see it in the first place. How would respond and what are your feelings on scuffs and minor small scratches only, not cracks.

I posted a thread months ago about using Meguiar's or Harley Davidson's scratch and swirl remover. I buffed up quite a few slabs that had minor sratches and scuffing. Works good.

I think if there's noticeable scratches and scuffs on a CGC case, a seller should disclose this to a buyer. Some people are picky, maybe too picky. I'm personally not bothered by them and it would not prevent me from buying a comic. I don't even think twice if the slab is cracked. Who cares?

What's the motto around here? Buy the comic not the case.

Scratches and scuffs are a sign of a owner/seller that lacks basic intelligence or decency so..yeah, they bother me, it is not hard to keep a case in pristine condition for any serious collector. When I get a case with a scratch in it, I always think they must have originated from some kind of welfare crack den.

Wow, pretty ignorant statement... :eyeroll:

Some cases can arrive with minor scratches or scuffs directly from CGC. Additionally, some slabs change owners various times and in the process small damage isn't uncommon. Like someone else already said, you really buy the book, not the slab; of course if the slab is beat up to hell or broken, that's something entirely different.

Wow, pretty ignorant statement... :eyeroll:

Some cases can arrive with minor scratches or scuffs directly from CGC. Additionally, some slabs change owners various times and in the process small damage isn't uncommon. Like someone else already said, you really buy the book, not the slab; of course if the slab is beat up to hell or broken, that's something entirely different.

How could a slab in a CGC bag and at least 6 layers of bubble wrap incur a scratch or scuff between owners? Any receiver of a damaged slab in a bubble envelope or poorly boxed case would be justified to question a seller/owner's basic common sense or knowledge of simple physics.

Scratches and scuffs are a sign of a owner/seller that lacks basic intelligence or decency so..yeah, they bother me, it is not hard to keep a case in pristine condition for any serious collector. When I get a case with a scratch in it, I always think they must have originated from some kind of welfare crack den.

A scratch on a piece of industrial plastic, covering a funny book, indicates a lack of decency on the owner's part?

Christonabike, talk about 1st World Problems... :facepalm:

A scratch on a piece of industrial plastic, covering a funny book, indicates a lack of decency on the owner's part?

I stand corrected. Scratches and scuffs on CGC cases are perfectly acceptable and almost impossible to avoid.

I stand corrected. Scratches and scuffs on CGC cases are perfectly acceptable and almost impossible to avoid.

Yeah, 'cause that's exactly what I said. :eyeroll:

Do you actually understand what 'decency' means?

I'll help you...

'behaviour that conforms to accepted standards of morality or respectability'

So in your opinion, it is immoral to allow a CGC case to get scratched?

Next we might want to explore the word 'perspective'... :/

You would have to ignore:

To allow a scratch or scuff on your CGC case to occur, then pass your lack of basic decency on to someone else.

Yeah, 'cause that's exactly what I said. :eyeroll:

Do you actually understand what 'decency' means?

I'll help you...

So in your opinion, it is immoral to allow a CGC case to get scratched?

Next we might want to explore the word 'perspective'... :/

Did I hear someone call my name?

:D

Wow, really?

Do you ever consider that cases were designed in an attempt to protect the book? You are buying the book inside and the opinion. The plastic slab simply preserves both the book and the opinion.

Many dealers trek these books all over the world in an attempt to get them into collectors hands. Often scratches can't be prevented. In fact, it can actually be other customers that scratch the books.

If you want a book to look prettieryou can just pay the $11 and reholder the book.

Or do you expect dealers to tie up their inventory indefinitely and reholder all inventory every 2 months to satisfy unreasonable customers who consider the plastic case to be a work of art?

Flaming_Telepath is correct - a little perspective helps us all to get along better.

Wow, really?

Do you ever consider that cases were designed in an attempt to protect the book? You are buying the book inside and the opinion. The plastic slab simply preserves both the book and the opinion.

Many dealers trek these books all over the world in an attempt to get them into collectors hands. Often scratches can't be prevented. In fact, it can actually be other customers that scratch the books.

If you want a book to look prettieryou can just pay the $11 and reholder the book.

Or do you expect dealers to tie up their inventory indefinitely and reholder all inventory every 2 months to satisfy unreasonable customers who consider the plastic case to be a work of art?

Flaming_Telepath is correct - a little perspective helps us all to get along better.

CGC cases are easy to protect when anyone uses an ounce of preventive care; sure, sellers/dealers can make excuses all day long, but most buyers know better.