• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

193 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, JGeezy87 said:

I have the postcard. Super neat. Also forgot to include this one in the picture just because its a massive newspaper 🤣

20230401_135532.jpg

Super cool. Spanish I suppose? Perhaps the most unique item in your collection? Definitely the tougher one to store :P

On 3/30/2023 at 12:05 AM, aszumilo said:

Do you have a copy or able to get a hold of one of those Brazillian 2nd editions?

I had one. Super high grade, bought my myself from the Newstands. With the postcard. Sold it three to four years ago though.

Finding a copy of the second edition shouldn't be difficult, but one with the postcard might well be. I can give it a look if you want.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:06 PM, Kromak said:

I had one. Super high grade, bought my myself from the Newstands. With the postcard. Sold it three to four years ago though.

Finding a copy of the second edition shouldn't be difficult, but one with the postcard might well be. I can give it a look if you want.

Do you have a scan of the postcard so I know what it looks like?  If you happen to run across a copy with the postcard I would be interested in it, but, not if it is too hard to find for you.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:33 PM, aszumilo said:

Do you have a scan of the postcard so I know what it looks like?  If you happen to run across a copy with the postcard I would be interested in it, but, not if it is too hard to find for you.

I looked for it, but didn't find one. Anyway, its the cover image. I will give a look for copies with the postcard in the next days.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, Kromak said:

Super cool. Spanish I suppose? Perhaps the most unique item in your collection? Definitely the tougher one to store :P

Eh I don't know about most unique. I collect mostly foreign books so I have a lot of out there things 🤣 definitely a pain. I just hang it from the wall. Next week I'll have the entire killing joke collection up on a wall and will snap some pictures and rattle off where they are all from 

On 4/1/2023 at 2:35 PM, aszumilo said:

Currently I have 25 in my registry set.  I have quite a few more ungraded, but, I don't think they have a shot at anything higher than an 8.5/9.0. 

I have 3 Newsstand editions (6th, 11th, 13th), but, CGC doesn't recognize them as Newsstands.  Waiting for the next Comic Con so I can bring my copies down and talk to them about recognizing them.

These are the foreign ones I have:

Graded
Argentina - 9.8
Germany (Detective Comics #1) - 9.6
Italy - 9.0
Mexico (Harley Quinn cover) - 9.8
Spain (ECC Ediciones) - 9.0 (mini comic packaged with Spanish DVD of The Killing Joke)
Sweden - 9.4
UK 1st (green) - 7.5
UK 3rd (orange) - 7.5
UK 4th (yellow) - 9.6

Ungraded
Brazil (green)
Germany (Panini - 2008) (white Logo)
Gernamy (Panini) (green logo)
Germany (Carlsen) (yellow/white logo)
Hungary (Got a COA from the Brian Bolland Collection)
Italy (orange)
Italy (green)
Mexico
Norway
Peru
Portugal
Turkey
UK 2nd (pink)

I know of these other foreign versions:

Denmark (Lion RW Edizioni)
Finland (Semic)
France (4 different versions)
Japan (Shogakukan Shueisha production)
Netherlands (Junior Press) (pink)
Poland
Serbia (Phoenix Press)
Serbia (Mentor)

I am sure there are other countries, but, I have yet to see an actual cover for any other countries yet.

Here is what I could find off my phone for foreign editions that I have. I need to go through them all again though because this is an old list. I have the South Korean now and a few others not listed below 

Screenshot_20230406_014337_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230406_013841_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230406_013805_Instagram.jpg

Edited by JGeezy87

Just picked up a really nice Norweigian edition and a nice Turkish edition.  The Norweigian looks like a 9.6/9.8.  Turkish will probably be a green label 8.5/9.0 due to a sticker on the back from the publisher.

Also picked up another 11th print that looks like a good shot at 9.8.  That would only leave the 10th print 9.8 to find and I'll have all Direct Edition printings in 9.8.

And I also got a Korean edition, but, it is a hardcover.  Listing said paperback, but, had no pictures.  Took a chance since it was low priced.

Edited by aszumilo

So, in my ongoing search for issues I need, I ran across a bunch of flat out wrong information.

1.  There are no newsstand copies of the first print that I have ever seen.  A couple of sellers advertising copies with bookstore UPC stickers claiming they are newsstand prints.  WRONG.  Any sticker put on by the stores does not make it newsstand.

2. There is no Brian Bolland variant.  He was the artist. There is no such thing.
(i.e. Batman: The Killing Joke By Alan Moore 1st Print Bolland Variant (1988) TPB HG)

3.  Covers that have a washed out coloring are not variants.  From what I can tell, they just ran low on ink.

4.  Hardcovers are not paperbacks.  CGC will not grade hardcovers.

5.  6th printing is not Red, it is dark orange.
    2nd print is not orange, it is pink.

6.  If the title logo is not green, it is not and cannot be a first printing. At least for US and UK versions.

7.  Unless you have numbers to back it up, do not say a printing (usually the 9th) is the lowest printing.  I cannot find printing numbers for any prints but the 1st and 2nd print.  And I'm not sure those are accurate.

I would guess cancel culture won't affect this book.  How many of those people are reading 35 year old comics anyways?  Prices on these books has been relatively flat for several years now.  Unless they come out with a Batman movie based on this book, I don't really see it moving in either direction.

On 4/5/2023 at 12:06 AM, aszumilo said:

Sounds good.  I appreciate it.

Sorry for the delay. I finally managed to find a copy with postcard. I am waiting for the answer of multiple sellers that have a copy if theirs contains the postcard. But I am not very optimistic. Of over twenty editions, this will probably be the only one.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, Kromak said:

Sorry for the delay. I finally managed to find a copy with postcard. I am waiting for the answer of multiple sellers that have a copy if theirs contains the postcard. But I am not very optimistic. Of over twenty editions, this will probably be the only one.

Cool.  Hope it turns out good.

Hi Aszumilo and Stronguy. On June 4, Ebay had a 4th printing Killing Joke with the BOMC back cover for sale, There was a third photo which showed a partial inside front cover, and there was no BOMC text below the letterer line. I was going to buy this anyway, but seeing that me go, “buy it now!” I now have 8 BOMC style back cover 4th printings, 6 that have the BOMC inside front cover, 1 without, and a slabbed 9.6 that I am not cracking open to check. The slab doesn’t say BOMC Edition on it, but it could be from prior to CGC adding that category. Oddly enough, like the copy Stronguy bought, mine also came from Canada. Specifically, Quebec.

On the topic of the Titan printings, if you look below the Titan Edition line there is a string of numbers, starting at 10, and counting down. The last number in the string is the printing number. So if it ends at 1 it is first printing, at 2, second printing, etc. Fairly common in the book trade, frequently with 3 years counting up in front of the countdown.

I also recently bought a copy of the V for Vendetta Book Club edition. It has the Ronalds sticker over the BOMC text, but there was a bookmark inside the book from Doubleday Book and Music Clubs, Inc. Since wpbooks01 has a copy of the V hardback without a Ronalds sticker over the BOMC text, is it possible that there were versions made for other book clubs, but rather than create new plates they just had someone cover the BOMC text for these other clubs?

On 6/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, TJ Radford said:

Hi Aszumilo and Stronguy. On June 4, Ebay had a 4th printing Killing Joke with the BOMC back cover for sale, There was a third photo which showed a partial inside front cover, and there was no BOMC text below the letterer line. I was going to buy this anyway, but seeing that me go, “buy it now!” I now have 8 BOMC style back cover 4th printings, 6 that have the BOMC inside front cover, 1 without, and a slabbed 9.6 that I am not cracking open to check. The slab doesn’t say BOMC Edition on it, but it could be from prior to CGC adding that category. Oddly enough, like the copy Stronguy bought, mine also came from Canada. Specifically, Quebec.

I've been trying to hunt down one of those 4th printing that does not have the BOMC text on the inside cover.  No luck so far.  Not sure where that book comes from, as i can fond no info on it.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:10 AM, aszumilo said:

Just picked up a really nice Norweigian edition and a nice Turkish edition.  The Norweigian looks like a 9.6/9.8.  Turkish will probably be a green label 8.5/9.0 due to a sticker on the back from the publisher.

Also picked up another 11th print that looks like a good shot at 9.8.  That would only leave the 10th print 9.8 to find and I'll have all Direct Edition printings in 9.8.

And I also got a Korean edition, but, it is a hardcover.  Listing said paperback, but, had no pictures.  Took a chance since it was low priced.

Nice which Turkish? There are 3 different printings. The 1st one is insanely hard to find 

On 4/3/2023 at 5:33 PM, aszumilo said:

Post card from Brazil. Had to go dig it out 🤣

20230828_202458.jpg

20230828_202505.jpg