• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your Kryptonite?...

86 posts in this topic

The thing that I have a hard time accepting is the amazing sense of direction displayed by flying characters.

Think about it, if you could fly and you took off in the air, you might be OK in just your local area if you knew the landmarks really well. If you wanted to go to a particular place outside of the area, how would you find it? Follow the roads? Grab a compass? If you got into a battle in the sky and then realised that you didn't know where you were, how would you find your way back? All flying superheroes seem to automatically know which way to head, you don't see them landing to look at the signs and then grab a map to see where they need to head.

You accept that they can fly, but are unable to accept an enhanced internal compass?

You have summed up my position perfectly. (thumbs u

I have a hard time believing that every character who gains the power of flight also gains the power of knowing how to get everywhere. rantrant

Overconfident villains who boast /mock hero etc even though they've been defeated by the hero every single time they showed up to boast/mock.

Driving your ride up the side of a building. Don't do that.

The Spider Buggy was not cool, until.again,Old Man Logan.

And to.add to Kavs post,villains who are defeated because of boasting,going on about how they are about to win...

If I had got my kicked repeatedly by some dude i would be very wary approaching him and certainly wouldn't start off with boasts.

dang I loved those

Anyway they say right at the beginning its imaginary

Even Marvel bowed to them with their 'What If' series

Yup

Or when 2 heroes meet for the first time they battle-and they're equally matched for the duration of the battle

Could Be Thor and daredevil-doesn't matter

I would like to recommend "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios

It's a great read and does explain some of the questions here. It explains how technically, Superman "COULD" leap tall buildings, etc. Gets a bit sciency at times but it really is a fun read seeing as how it's almost tailored exactly for discussions such as this!