• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

it is not correct that cgc was grading tough only during the first few months of its existence.

Yeah, I was wrong about that. After I made the comment about the uproar over the "new" labels I should have realized how compressed I had made the old label time-frame in my head. It was many years. 

Edited by rob_react

On 9/9/2017 at 5:27 PM, rob_react said:

Old label isn't monolithic. Old label lasted for long enough that people complained about the BIG NUMBERS here on the boards and there was a couple of years of CGC graded books before the boards even existed. Anecdotally, we're talking about the first few months as being the tough period of old label.  That's what I mean when I say the "very earliest." Not all old label books are perceived as being tightly graded.

What you're talking about above is also true. Later old-label books can be seen as being susceptible to SCS or being in a softer period for CGC.  There are definitely some old-label books that I have, and many more that I've seen, that would take a hit if they were cracked and resubbed. 

Just took a closer look at the promo email that CC had sent out for today's auction and noticed that there are 3 old label books in there.

Since one of these is from way back in 2000 when CGC first opened its door, I guess the chance of the grade and PQ being tougher is probably higher than the other 2 old labels which were graded later in 2002 and 2003?  hm

Maybe there's some truth to your point since the one graded from 2000 sure looks nice from the scan.  :cloud9:

On 9/6/2017 at 10:52 PM, rob_react said:

One thing- we don't know for a fact that this copy is he missing Mastro copy. It just seems (to me at least) to be the likeliest scenario. Of course, the second most likely scenario is that it's a copy that sold in the 1990s, so that's not a new copy either. But, we really don't know that this is the Mastro copy. As was pointed out, t might just be a promotional image put together with the Mastro scan. 

As for fresh-to-market books, if you mean "new to the hobby" then I think we're near the practical end of that possibility. We're looking at a 90-year old original owner for an Action 1 bought at 10 years old. It's still possible, but we're pushing it to the limit these days. 

I think (hope?) there will be some surprising collections that come out of early (1st and 2nd generation) fandom.  

The Fantast Collection is likely just the first of many—although I doubt very many will be quite that large.

Was it ever confirmed whether the 9.2 Tec 27 was the Mastro copy?

On 9/8/2017 at 12:52 PM, szav said:

Might be possible there are OO collections that were actually appreciated by the OOs children and got passed down to, or kept by heirs for sentimental reasons... rather than sold off on their passing... who knows.

The Promise Collection fills that bill pretty well.