• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2
4 4

525 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but isn't that the CGC 8.0 scanned copy you are looking at and not the 9.2 graded copy?  (shrug)

What if the 9.2 graded copy took care of some of these issues or made them less pronounced?  hm

I don't know how you "take care" of color loss and still get a blue label.

47 minutes ago, nearmint said:
52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but isn't that the CGC 8.0 scanned copy you are looking at and not the 9.2 graded copy?  (shrug)

What if the 9.2 graded copy took care of some of these issues or made them less pronounced?  hm

Not the colour loss issue per se, but maybe some of the other more "fixable issues" that were initially keeping the grade of the book down in the 8's.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, 1koko said:
7 hours ago, nearmint said:

You really think so?  The color loss on the spine and the 1" crease on the bottom right corner would really bother me in a 9.2 holder.

Was thinking the same

Is the color loss actually on the book or just scanner artifact? Heritage books often have this sort of scanner artifact on the edges of their books.

I did not see the crease on the bottom right (it's barely visible even when I blow it up large) so it's impossible to tell how much color it breaks.

If the crease is still there then I agree that it doesn't look like a 9.2.

6 hours ago, nearmint said:

Impossible to tell from a scan how much ink is actually missing.

My $5 is your $5

Certification Number: Grade Date: Title: Issue: Issue Date: Publisher: Country: Variant: Pedigree: Category: Grade: Page Quality: Grade Text:
Art Comments:
Key Comments:
Issue Year: Grader Notes:
09/04/14  
0029109005 07/30/01  Detective Comics 27 5/39 D.C. Comics
Universal  8.0 OFF-WHITE
Finger, Siegel and Chambers stories Bob Kane, Joe Shuster, Jim Chambers and Fred Guardineer art, Bob Kane cover 1st appearance of Batman (Bruce Wayne) and Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon.

Front Cover Small Finger Bends

Right Bottom Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color

Right Center Front Cover Fingerprints Breaks Color

Spine Small Stress Lines

On 9/6/2017 at 10:52 PM, rob_react said:

As for fresh-to-market books, if you mean "new to the hobby" then I think we're near the practical end of that possibility. We're looking at a 90-year old original owner for an Action 1 bought at 10 years old. It's still possible, but we're pushing it to the limit these days. 

I think (hope?) there will be some surprising collections that come out of early (1st and 2nd generation) fandom.  

Well, there have been two (or is it three?) collections of Centaur books that were (I think!) new to the hobby that have come on the market in the past couple of years.  So, I think it's still possible that unknown GA keys are out there.

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, there have been two (or is it three?) collections of Centaur books that were (I think!) new to the hobby that have come on the market in the past couple of years.  So, I think it's still possible that unknown GA keys are out there.

I agree that it's possible. I just think we're pushing the traditional OO path to seeing new books since the traditional OO is now OOld. 

29 minutes ago, szavisca said:
52 minutes ago, rob_react said:

I agree that it's possible. I just think we're pushing the traditional OO path to seeing new books since the traditional OO is now OOld. 

Might be possible there are OO collections that were actually appreciated by the OOs children and got passed down to, or kept by heirs for sentimental reasons... rather than sold off on their passing... who knows.

I think this is probably the more likely route for these books to surface.

Correction to my earlier post:  One of the "Centaur" collections I had in mind was actually a DC pre-hero collection.  

I think there are quite  few books out there from what you may call Original Collections from folks such as Bang Zoom who were early adopters of the hobby, never slabbed and maybe dont care to chat on the web. Most of the dealers at the Shoff shows in my area have no clue about the CGC boards and have pretty good personal collections with no books slabbed.

6 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

I think there are quite  few books out there from what you may call Original Collections from folks such as Bang Zoom who were early adopters of the hobby, never slabbed and maybe dont care to chat on the web. Most of the dealers at the Shoff shows in my area have no clue about the CGC boards and have pretty good personal collections with no books slabbed.

That's what I was referring to with the 1st/2nd generation collectors comment earlier. I think those will be the surprising collections we'll see going forward. Those people were buying Silver Age off of the shelves, as well. So we will likely see some interesting hybrid collections. Real OO for the silver/bronze age stuff and then 2nd hand for the Golden Age books. 

There's a lot of continuity in the hobby, but there's a lot of room for knowledge of collections acquired in the 60s and 70s to disappear.  

46 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Might be possible there are OO collections that were actually appreciated by the OOs children and got passed down to, or kept by heirs for sentimental reasons... rather than sold off on their passing... who knows.

Yeah, this would be a vector for an unknown OO Action #1 to survive and surface at some point.  

9 minutes ago, rob_react said:

Yeah, this would be a vector for an unknown OO Action #1 to survive and surface at some point.  

There was a copy of Action 1 in the wall they found on a remodel right. Back in the 40's comic books would have made great installation :whee:

18 minutes ago, rob_react said:

That's what I was referring to with the 1st/2nd generation collectors comment earlier. I think those will be the surprising collections we'll see going forward. Those people were buying Silver Age off of the shelves, as well. So we will likely see some interesting hybrid collections. Real OO for the silver/bronze age stuff and then 2nd hand for the Golden Age books. 

There's a lot of continuity in the hobby, but there's a lot of room for knowledge of collections acquired in the 60s and 70s to disappear.  

Everyone knows that the chances for high grade SA collections to appear is a certainty.  I don't think the emergence of those collections will be surprising at all.  They will likely keep emerging for the next 20+ years from the OOs, and after that from kids who also caught the collecting bug.

Less prevalent will be the collections from the guys who started collecting GA in the late 50s, 60s or early 70s.  But, even there, we all know of folks who have raw GA books.  We've see some amazing raw GA books on these boards held by such collectors.  Not just Bangzoom.  For example from a different 1st/2nd generation collector we saw pics of his stacks of GGA, PCH, Frazetta, Romance, Atlas, EC, a Showcase 4, and even some big books etc., and were told that the stuff that couldn't be pictured ("from the vault") was even more impressive.  I personally know that collector, and that statement is very correct with a few books that will shock when eventually sold.  Here's some GGA that was pictured:

image.thumb.jpeg.5e5cf5634ddd1ff26601c995b5891c08.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.39c87c4dd9ef416711580e04de6dd246.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c836ea01b61787fa00ae06ea875a8683.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ac38bc0f88db54bc7221011c56571e52.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7d706aa6758fa21dd6b293da809f1f88.jpeg

1 hour ago, Silver Surfer said:

I would love to know who took advantage of these "tightly graded" books.

The very earliest CGC books have always been regarded as tightly graded. Add pressing to that mix and I'd say a LOT of people have taken advantage of books like this. 

On 9/8/2017 at 0:05 PM, rob_react said:
On 9/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I would love to know who took advantage of these "tightly graded" books.

The very earliest CGC books have always been regarded as tightly graded. Add pressing to that mix and I'd say a LOT of people have taken advantage of books like this. 

And yet some board members here think the exact opposite and claim that they are most likely over graded because they are still sitting in their old slabs. 

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And yet some board members here think the exact opposite and claim that they are most likely over graded because they are still sitting in their old slabs. 

Old label isn't monolithic. Old label lasted for long enough that people complained about the BIG NUMBERS here on the boards and there was a couple of years of CGC graded books before the boards even existed. Anecdotally, we're talking about the first few months as being the tough period of old label.  That's what I mean when I say the "very earliest." Not all old label books are perceived as being tightly graded.

What you're talking about above is also true. Later old-label books can be seen as being susceptible to SCS or being in a softer period for CGC.  There are definitely some old-label books that I have, and many more that I've seen, that would take a hit if they were cracked and resubbed. 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

those board members have a vested interest in modern slabs :gossip:

7 hours ago, rob_react said:

Old label isn't monolithic. Old label lasted for long enough that people complained about the BIG NUMBERS here on the boards and there was a couple of years of CGC graded books before the boards even existed. Anecdotally, we're talking about the first few months as being the tough period of old label.  That's what I mean when I say the "very earliest." Not all old label books are perceived as being tightly graded.

Any idea what part of the year 2000 did CGC started grading books, as I believe they started up in 2000 or was it even possibly as early as late 1999?  ???

Since that CGC 8.0 copy of 'Tec 27 was graded back on July 30 of 2001, that in theory should then be past the tightest period of the old label books, but I guess there would always be some exceptions to any general rule.  hm