• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like everything will be live now at Heritage...

76 posts in this topic

The biggest impediment to me is I do not have hours to spend watching Heritage crawl through the lots waiting for the one or two books I want to come up to the block. Yeah, you can put in your max bid ahead of time, I have only won a handful of books from Heritage in this way, and have almost always paid a premium when that has happened.

There is a third alternative, namely the "LiveProxy bid" feature. This lets you enter a bid to be placed on your behalf the moment that particular lot comes up. You can enter these LiveProxy bids starting two hours before the live session (i.e. starting at 5 p.m. Central), or of course any time before the lot you're bidding on has come up.

A more detailed explanation of this feature can be found here:

Heritage Live tips http://comics.ha.com/c/ref/web-tips.zx#live

A correction here: for our Sunday Internet Comics Auctions, you'll be able to enter the LiveProxy bids mentioned above starting the night before (Saturday night) at 10 p.m. Central.

That is to say, you can start entering LiveProxy bids 19 hours before prior Internet bidding has ended.

Well, it's happening now. I don't know when the live session started, but as of 11:30 EST, they are only up to the J's, so this looks like it could run late in to the night. I'm not liking that. If they are going to do it this way, they should considering ending their "dead" auction a few hours earlier, so they can start the live auction earlier.

Yeah I am not liking this either. I forgot to bid on a book and logged on before the end to discover the live auction already started and here it is an hour passed when it would normally have ended and they are only into the "M's"

I still see absolutely zero point in yet another live auction, especially when there's so many as it is. The old format differentiated it from every other one, and the stuff they auctioned always included a nice assortment of things - and an opportunity to snag a book outside of the monthly slogs up to when the bigger auctions conclude. You didn't have to wait a month to know whether you won something. If a book is worthwhile it's going to get bids - you don't have to parade each one out for the benefit of a few who refuse to simply throw their cards down and let the chips fall where they will. What difference is it if they do it hours before or seconds before it ends. If you beat my max you're going to win. I'm curious how long it will take until Heritage goes back to the old format.

How did others fare in last nights auction? It'd be interesting to hear from others who may like the new format and why.

I won one smaller book, and got beat out on three of my proxy bids. The big thing was that I found the auction took way too long. I wound up going to Ebay and spending some money there instead.

I suspect they will go to a rolling closing bid time if bids are received in last five minutes of bidding. That would make more sense for all involved I would think.

Jason

I just took a look and got bored real quick. I have the stamina for that on a Sunday afternoon not a Sunday night.

+1, exactly. Logged in to do my semi-usual Sunday night browse of the lots, but I had already missed the internet bids as they apparently close early now, and gave up quickly on the live stuff. Ah well!

This is a good example of "fixing" something that wasn't broken.

I wonder if they were punished with lackluster results this Sunday?

That'll change things back to how they were pretty fast.

This is a good example of "fixing" something that wasn't broken.

I wonder if they were punished with lackluster results this Sunday?

That'll change things back to how they were pretty fast.

I watched it for a good time frame and I saw several live bids. I wonder if they would have been place before closing under the old format.

No more sniping but then again my bid amounts probably won't change either. I'll just bid my max prior to the live auction and let others beat me in the live auction. It may mean that they'll lose a lot more over-sniped bids at the last few seconds than they would have before. the higher early prices may actually turn away some of the former snipers and the late live auction will probably turn away the rest so it probably means you have a decent shot at winning if you bid early and high. I've gone back to looking and actually bought something from them again that had a decent scan but I'll never spend what I used to spend there especially with this format.

the thrill of the final countdown and instant gratification of finding out if you won or lost is gone though and was the part I enjoyed the most.

They'll probably go back to the old format soon if they see a downward trend.

Adding my voice to those who are saying this new format stinks. Seriously, on the East Coast I think I speak for most collectors who have little interest staying up into early Monday morning attempting to follow a live auction, especially a weekly one. Pretty much a sure-fire way of burning yourself out to start the week; not great.

If you insist on changing up the format, do the +5 minute thing, Heritage.

Although I just saw this on there and whoa! If this is typical of the results of the new format then I don't think they'll be going back any time soon.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-187-marvel-1978-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/121438-13221.s

Outlier anomaly or is the new format inducing multiple live rage-filled max bids for folks out on the west coast?