• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you people have an emergency fund for things?

331 posts in this topic

Maybe some use their comics for emergency funds. If you think about it, comics are an investment for some. People often divest some of their investments to pay for things. The problem is that comics are often not very liquid.
In a true emergency you might want something a little more liquid. I can only withdraw $500 a month from Paypal, which is why I have two Paypal accounts, but still. Even if I had a five thousand dollar comic, I wouldn't consider it liquid enough to count on in an emergency. How long would it take for the comic to sell? For me to receive payment? For me to be able to have that payment in my hands in the form of cash?

If I walk out to my car in the morning and it doesn't start, I am going to have a bad day. If I don't have it in the shop by the end of the day I'm going to have a bad week and my boss is not going to be happy if I don't have a rental. Not the kind of stuff I need to put off until a board sale or eBay auction (or Heritage auction) goes through.

Maybe some use their comics for emergency funds. If you think about it, comics are an investment for some. People often divest some of their investments to pay for things. The problem is that comics are often not very liquid.
In a true emergency you might want something a little more liquid. I can only withdraw $500 a month from Paypal, which is why I have two Paypal accounts, but still. Even if I had a five thousand dollar comic, I wouldn't consider it liquid enough to count on in an emergency. How long would it take for the comic to sell? For me to receive payment? For me to be able to have that payment in my hands in the form of cash?

If I walk out to my car in the morning and it doesn't start, I am going to have a bad day. If I don't have it in the shop by the end of the day I'm going to have a bad week and my boss is not going to be happy if I don't have a rental. Not the kind of stuff I need to put off until a board sale or eBay auction (or Heritage auction) goes through.

I'm lucky enough in that regard that Bedrock is literally on the road I live on. . . there's a few books I could unload quickly there, even if the market was bad and I lost money.

I sell comics and do freelance work to pay for comics or to pay for my 1967 Impala. I don't buy comics with my day job money, but I work my tail off at night to fund my hobby because I love it.

When the rainy day comes to take a dump on my life, I have some money here and there to take care of things as long as it's not a major ordeal. I don't like selling comics to pay for life's problems because I don't pay for comics with my life's wages.

^^

It seems like every week someone is selling a grail book to get their car fixed, or to pay a vet bill or some other thing.

Do you really buy so many comics that you don't have money set aside for the ' emergencies life throws our way?

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but perhaps folks shouldn't be spending money on a hobby before they have their rainy day fund fully funded.

I realize I'm older and perhaps better off financially than a lot of people, but if you need to sell stuff every time life throws you a curve, your priorities are not pointed in the right direction.

I put my money in books rather than the bank. The cash is safer there & I get to enjoy owning them. (shrug)

It seems like every week someone is selling a grail book to get their car fixed, or to pay a vet bill or some other thing.

Do you really buy so many comics that you don't have money set aside for the ' emergencies life throws our way?

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but perhaps folks shouldn't be spending money on a hobby before they have their rainy day fund fully funded.

I realize I'm older and perhaps better off financially than a lot of people, but if you need to sell stuff every time life throws you a curve, your priorities are not pointed in the right direction.

I have emergency fund sources, but it is a matter of degrees as to how easy or painful they are to access. :shrug:

Fortunately, my emergencies are usually related to purchasing comics. :cloud9:

I've come to the decision that I'll never buy from someone trying to guilt people in to buying their stuff. I don't care if your car broke or if your child needs a music recital. Why do people feel the need to guilt people in to doing business with them?

It's like a stripper who says she's horny. People keep falling for it... ;)

Seriously, I find that when most people sell because they're in a spot, the first people on scene are the vultures looking to pick the remains. "PM sent"... you know it's not going to be good.

I've come to the decision that I'll never buy from someone trying to guilt people in to buying their stuff. I don't care if your car broke or if your child needs a music recital. Why do people feel the need to guilt people in to doing business with them?

It's like a stripper who says she's horny. People keep falling for it... ;)

Seriously, I find that when most people sell because they're in a spot, the first people on scene are the vultures looking to pick the remains. "PM sent"... you know it's not going to be good.

And that's why I don't like getting rid of things to pay for an emergency expense, I'm never in the position to get the best sale, just the first sale.

I've practically given things away in need of small change.

For the life of me I don't understand why people over extend themselves buying luxury items like comic books.I always make sure all my bills are paid,and food is on the table before I spend on a comic book.

I don't buy alot during the year,but I try to buy quality.Makes for slow collecting,but at least the fun of the chase is sweeter in the end.

I don't collect comics anymore so I don't have to put up sales threads here because you people hate the reasons why I have to sell my personal comics.

Peace,

Chip

:golfclap:

Well worth turning off the ignore feature to read that message...and... back you go!

Nothing like knowing people hate yer guts and you can't do anything about it, but I guess that's the internet.

Peace,

Chip

I never said I hate your guts.I just said I don't trust you. (thumbs u

I don't trust my best friend either. lol

I agree with the OP, but let me throw you a curve.

I have had emergency funds, but somehow the account would always be drained by some emergency. I worked hard at a second job as I was saving for something and save up 1500, then the transmission on my truck would need repair and cost me 1600. I would work extra hard again on 3rd job and squirrel away 2000 and then something would happen and it would cost me 2100.

Then one day I decided to stop bothering and suddenly the weird bad things stopped happening. Self fulfilling prophecy: If I save it they will come ( and take it ). :devil: