• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you people have an emergency fund for things?

331 posts in this topic

It seems like every week someone is selling a grail book to get their car fixed, or to pay a vet bill or some other thing.

Do you really buy so many comics that you don't have money set aside for the ' emergencies life throws our way?

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but perhaps folks shouldn't be spending money on a hobby before they have their rainy day fund fully funded.

I realize I'm older and perhaps better off financially than a lot of people, but if you need to sell stuff every time life throws you a curve, your priorities are not pointed in the right direction.

I like to keep about a thousand in the checking account. I used to keep more, but times are tough. Often times a thousand isn't enough for an unexpected car repair. I used to spend about $2500 a year keeping my old Cadillac running.

Then again, I haven't bought a comic in months, and haven't bought a back issue in over a year.

It seems like every week someone is selling a grail book to get their car fixed, or to pay a vet bill or some other thing.

Do you really buy so many comics that you don't have money set aside for the ' emergencies life throws our way?

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but perhaps folks shouldn't be spending money on a hobby before they have their rainy day fund fully funded.

I realize I'm older and perhaps better off financially than a lot of people, but if you need to sell stuff every time life throws you a curve, your priorities are not pointed in the right direction.

Thank you for posting this, because it saves me the trouble. This is what I am thinking every time I see one of these sales threads.

All a sales thread requires is rules, scans and prices. I don't really care why you are selling your books, and I'm not sure why you are broadcasting the fact you are a poor financial planner.

Just to be clear - I am not always the greatest planner either, but I am going to keep that to myself lol

Only one theory here - maybe they think it gives their thread "personality".

Just to be clear - I am not always the greatest planner either, but I am going to keep that to myself lol

I've always thought it was in poor taste to add a tale of trials and tribulations to a sales pitch.

I'll never buy a luxury item out of pity.

And I did always think it was interesting that people who spend thousands more than me every month on comics also had to consistently have fire sales to keep the lights on.

I figured they consider their comic collection their bank account and even comics purchased on Thursday are ready to sell on Monday to keep milk in the fridge. Not a smart way to go about things in my opinion.

To insure complete information, can those of you posting in here about personal details (and you sellers referred to by OP) please also post your intimates here?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7370529&fpart=1

I have an emergency fund in case I find a grail at a "too good to pass up" price.

I'd call that an emergency!

I try to do this, but I keep spending it every time a nice pre-hero I need pops up. That tends to end up to my cash earmarked for shows too, as there are just too many opportunities to buy nice books online these days...

Funny... I was just thinking about this.

I live pretty lean (well, I'm not lean... ha ha!), so when things come up, I'm ok, and the book buying stops until the fund is replenished.

I've had a couple thousand in various things this month alone, unfortunately, culminating with the annual exam for my cattle dog that was $700. Makes it tough, but in that case, it is books for books, if I want something.

I sell comics and do freelance work to pay for comics or to pay for my 1967 Impala. I don't buy comics with my day job money, but I work my tail off at night to fund my hobby because I love it.

When the rainy day comes to take a dump on my life, I have some money here and there to take care of things as long as it's not a major ordeal. I don't like selling comics to pay for life's problems because I don't pay for comics with my life's wages.

I've come to the decision that I'll never buy from someone trying to guilt people in to buying their stuff. I don't care if your car broke or if your child needs a music recital. Why do people feel the need to guilt people in to doing business with them?

And I have an emergency fund, but I constantly have emergencies that it gets depleted pretty often. It seems like every few months something breaks and I'm scrambling to replace or fix it.

Also, part of my stipulation with my wife is that if and when we get in trouble the first thing to go is my comics.

I sell comics and do freelance work to pay for comics or to pay for my 1967 Impala. I don't buy comics with my day job money, but I work my tail off at night to fund my hobby because I love it.

When the rainy day comes to take a dump on my life, I have some money here and there to take care of things as long as it's not a major ordeal. I don't like selling comics to pay for life's problems because I don't pay for comics with my life's wages.

A lot like you actually. I try not to take any money from the day job and I do freelance work for a few magazines as a photographer. Those few jobs from the outside usually buy me a new piece of photo equipment, or a repair, or a few comic books.

+1

Making the hobby pay for itself is like a second job but it beats putting your hand into the same pocket you use for everything else.

As far as this thread goes there are people who have a small pot of cash for when they need it and there are people who don't.... doesn't matter if they collect comics or not it's always going to be the case. I'm not surprised that books are sold on when people need funds because they are so damn expensive in 2014 and maybe that makes more people have to stretch a little to get what they want... my car is worth less than a hell of a lot of the books posted in these forums. It may even seem like the easier option to let a very sellable luxury item go instead of using savings. There are plenty of good reasons for selling off what you can do without.

jfTUKBB.png