• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel stock back at $20

13 posts in this topic

Just to reopen old wounds.... or arguments.... thought I'd mention that the much maligned Marvel Stock price has inched back above $20 after bottoming out below the $15 threashhold for awhile. Who hung on? Who sold? Who's happy? Who is still underwater? Who knows??

Then you can't? Try Ameritrade, I think they offer trades with an 8 commission.

I had seriously considered writing a call on Marvel a while back with a strike at 20 dollars. I'm kind of glad I didn't. wink.gif

Brian

Just to reopen old wounds.... or arguments.... thought I'd mention that the much maligned Marvel Stock price has inched back above $20 after bottoming out below the $15 threashhold for awhile. Who hung on? Who sold? Who's happy? Who is still underwater? Who knows??

I found myself interviewing with a large mutual fund company over the summer who asked me to write a research report on my #1 stock recommendation for the next 2 years. My pick? Buy MVL (at $14.20, as of August 23, 2004). How's that for life's little ironies?

lol I remember when Marvel first started offering stock back in the 90s.

My dad sent for info and they sent us a profolio with a bunch of marvel characters on it. I hung it on my wall as a poster 27_laughing.gif.

I found myself interviewing with a large mutual fund company over the summer who asked me to write a research report on my #1 stock recommendation for the next 2 years. My pick? Buy MVL (at $14.20, as of August 23, 2004). How's that for life's little ironies?

Can you share the Coles notes version with us. Reason's why, where you see the value going, etc.

Can you share the Coles notes version with us. Reason's why, where you see the value going, etc.

Well, in the report I wrote in August, I said that ~$14, MVL was being valued in line with toy manufacturers instead of diversified media companies even though its operating stats looked more impressive than both. I wrote that the company was suffering from some short-term missteps and poor short-term earnings visibility, but for a long-term investor, the market was likely to reevaluate the shares as visibility improved going into 2005. I actually haven't been following the company at all since then, so I don't have anything to say about it at the current price level.

Well, in the report I wrote in August, I said that ~$14, MVL was being valued in line with toy manufacturers instead of diversified media companies even though its operating stats looked more impressive than both. I wrote that the company was suffering from some short-term missteps and poor short-term earnings visibility, but for a long-term investor, the market was likely to reevaluate the shares as visibility improved going into 2005. I actually haven't been following the company at all since then, so I don't have anything to say about it at the current price level.

Interesting stuff. Does anyone know if they are still flush with cash ($100M last time this was discussed), or are they burning through it at a rapid pace? I need to look up a current financial report on Marvel.

I remember years ago, before the bankruptcy that I bought 1,000 shares at a buck a piece. Big gamble, I thought that either they'd pull out of it and I'd make a nice profit in a few years or I'd lose a grand. Turned out I lost that grand and just received some almost worthless warrents in their place. frustrated.gif