• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Married Back Covers

33 posts in this topic

I believe CGC have archives for all aged comic books included advertisings. The first processing is to check all pages included the covers even they check for any kinds of restoration before handing over to the grading processing.

I had ASM #3 with a wrong back cover that was glued to the front cover and it has a missing wrap (I think it was a poster of Dr. Ock). I got .5 signature series and restored label.

I hope it helps. The married back cover is not glued or reattached to the front cover that will result the green label.

I've seen this as well. So the question begs - which is better: .5 incomplete blue label missing the back cover or a complete green label with a married back cover that would probably be in the 1 to 1.5 range?

I've long wondered the same thing. I have an Action #19 in similar condition -- it would restore to a pretty high grade if I could ever find the right back cover for it.

So, it kinda begs the question if you found a DC book from December 1939, it should match up, right? This is assuming that all DC books published in December of 1939 have the same back cover with the same entire advertisements. (shrug)

I think this issue was addressed in a GA thread and my recollection is that there could be small differences across back covers published the same month. Not entirely sure, though. I suppose the safest course is to see whether there is a back cover scan of the issue on the HA site.

I've seen this as well. So the question begs - which is better: .5 incomplete blue label missing the back cover or a complete green label with a married back cover that would probably be in the 1 to 1.5 range?

I've long wondered the same thing. I have an Action #19 in similar condition -- it would restore to a pretty high grade if I could ever find the right back cover for it.

So, it kinda begs the question if you found a DC book from December 1939, it should match up, right? This is assuming that all DC books published in December of 1939 have the same back cover with the same entire advertisements. (shrug)

I think this issue was addressed in a GA thread and my recollection is that there could be small differences across back covers published the same month. Not entirely sure, though. I suppose the safest course is to see whether there is a back cover scan of the issue on the HA site.

Sometimes they don't show the back covers.

Sometimes they don't show the back covers.

So looking through books on HA, the back covers on monthly DC books appear to match.

I guess the real problem is the inside back cover. I have no idea how you check that though.

Just been looking through the early 40s DCs, and they often had two different back covers back when they were only publishing 7 or 8 titles a month - maybe they had early month and late month print runs, and changed over the ads for each run.

Definitely no sign of the All Star # 3 being used again though. :mad:

Just been looking through the early 40s DCs, and they often had two different back covers back when they were only publishing 7 or 8 titles a month - maybe they had early month and late month print runs, and changed over the ads for each run.

Definitely no sign of the All Star # 3 being used again though. :mad:

Mmmm. So, I guess the safest bet at this point would be your really can only marry the back cover of the same book to be safe.

Not to hijack, but speaking of back covers, I just picked up a Justice League of America #1 on the cheap, but the back cover is coated in a sheet of plastic. How is CGC going to grade that? Qualified or Restored?

rerre7.jpg

ererere.jpg

To get back to the thread topic, I successfully married a back cover for Brave and the Bold 28, by searching other comics that came out that month and bought a low value title for the back cover.

I tried it for Showcase 9 though and CGC came back and said it was the wrong back cover.

Not to hijack, but speaking of back covers, I just picked up a Justice League of America #1 on the cheap, but the back cover is coated in a sheet of plastic. How is CGC going to grade that? Qualified or Restored?

rerre7.jpg

ererere.jpg

To get back to the thread topic, I successfully married a back cover for Brave and the Bold 28, by searching other comics that came out that month and bought a low value title for the back cover.

I tried it for Showcase 9 though and CGC came back and said it was the wrong back cover.

So CGC was OK with grading Brave and the Bold 28? Did it get a green label?

rerre7.jpg

ererere.jpg

So CGC was OK with grading Brave and the Bold 28? Did it get a green label?

I'll bet you missed getting a perfect match for a back cover. Thosse coupons on the back have specific dept. numbers and even though the back cover looks like it might match perfectly, CGC will check those numbers and if they don't match they'll know.

I bought a slabbed FF1 that had a wrong back cover. Everything looked perfect except the dept # was wrong. I found a TTA comic from the same month that had the correct dept number and married it to the front cover and it worked out.

You need to really do your research.

I'll bet you missed getting a perfect match for a back cover. Thosse coupons on the back have specific dept. numbers and even though the back cover looks like it might match perfectly, CGC will check those numbers and if they don't match they'll know.

I bought a slabbed FF1 that had a wrong back cover. Everything looked perfect except the dept # was wrong. I found a TTA comic from the same month that had the correct dept number and married it to the front cover and it worked out.

Thanks for the info. I learn something new everyday here.

Thanks for the info. I learn something new everyday here.

Is this true of GA as well? Or is this just true of SA and newer comics?