• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Summer Featured auction -- post 'em if you got 'em (or got blown out)

280 posts in this topic

I guess I just got lucky last month or its because this was the summer feature, that no book or art went for cheap (I'm talking like, $1-$35 bucks). Oh well can't wait to see what is for auction next month.

-Kystix

Can anyone link me to the costanza thread? I wan't to re-read it and can't find it .

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7098570&fpart=1

Can anyone link me to the costanza thread? I wan't to re-read it and can't find it .

to get you started

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7077210&fpart=1

Thanks guys. It is much appreciated.

My only bid and win

RADA90A52014729_133259_zps67a4c168.jpg

love that cover

am I correct in thinking that the only Kirby pencils in the original 18 issues of Silver Surfer were in issue #18? It is the only one I own these days. My information search says this is true which is kind of hard to believe since he was a Kirby creation. Oh-- I'm sorry-- he was all Stan Lee (cough cough)

GPA is great, but you will always have dealers that say that sales are anomalies in order to justify their high prices.

There is little reason to deal with dealers with all of these auction sites. On the buy, they claim they are dealers and need to pay you under GPA. On the sell, GPA doesn't matter because they know better. I can open an LLC for $250, get a webpage for $99. Will you sell me your books at 75% GPA and buy them at 140% GPA?

GPA is the guide. Don't let used car salesmen tell you otherwise. Think about what YOU can sell it for tomorrow before plopping down your money. You need to average out 6-months of GPA data and then look at lower grades to see trends because there is more movement in lower grades because of quantity.

lol

Wow, that was insulting. So dealers are basically obsolete and are used car saleseman?

There are also many collectors who don't use GPA. They use OSPG. What does that make them?

There are many types of markets, many types of dealers and many types of collectors. There is no one right way.

And many of those books that you buy at auction often originate with a dealer.

For rare books, it is not easy to buy from a dealer. Often times it seems prices are inflated with little rhyme or reason and the dealer actually wants to keep the book. But by setting these prices, it influences other dealers to raise their prices, and the cycle continues. Just my opinion.

For rare books that aren't often traded it is very hard to set a price. Buyers and sellers are basically left to guess what is fair. Data points can help with this, but at the end of the day it may come down to the junction of whatever someone is willing to pay coupled with whatever the seller is willing to take. In that scenario it is better for the dealer to aim a little high, rather than let something rare go way too cheap. A buyer can always make an offer, but it is best to try to avoid buyers running up to your table spraining something trying to get their wallet out quickly (or sellers having to look up GPA prices and raise the sticker during a negotiation... :facepalm: ).

I agree completely

I use gpa and Overstreet as data points. But ultimately I offer what I'm willing to pay. The dealer can agree or counter or say no. This works and is fun as long as people don't get personal about it.

TEC #404 CGC 9.6...... $1600

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D17%26y%3D12%26pg%3D10%23Item%5F1018817&id=1018817

Thought I could be in the running but that price staggered me not normally being a Batman/Adams collector.

It shouldn't have (staggered you I mean). I was the underbidder and would have gone considerably stronger if it was a better looking 9.6. That book never comes up in 9.6.

TEC #404 CGC 9.6...... $1600

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D17%26y%3D12%26pg%3D10%23Item%5F1018817&id=1018817

Thought I could be in the running but that price staggered me not normally being a Batman/Adams collector.

It shouldn't have (staggered you I mean). I was the underbidder and would have gone considerably stronger if it was a better looking 9.6. That book never comes up in 9.6.

Exactly, I haven't seen a 9.6 go for auction since I started looking about 4-5 years ago so I wasn't prepared for that going price. Oh well, I'm only after it because of the Enemy Ace 'appearance', lol