• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! - Silver Age Comic Theft! or Guardians of the Comic Realm I Call on Thee!

150 posts in this topic

You might be right Murph but I know that dude could of taken my DVD's and gotten 4 to 5 bucks a piece for them but ignored them. Same with my home electronics etc.

I think it's someone who knows I collect and either knows me directly or knows someone who I've talked to about he books.

Exactly, that's what I've been saying. The robbery passed up on all the things that a casual B & E would immediately pick up. DVD's are produced by the millions and have no distinguishable characteristics. I'm not surprised he didn't take your DVD player though. It's large and speaking relative to it's size and weight.. it wouldn't be worth it.

#1. They either directly know you or know that you have some high grade books.

#2. They know SOMETHING about comics. Maybe not only that they're valuable but a probable avenue of sale as well.

#3. I would NOT be surprised that, if this person is just an acquaintance who heard of these comics value, that he would drive to a nearby city or town and unload them on the local dealer. eBay is very high profile anymore and most savvy people understand that there are too many watchdogs on there now.

Are there any large dealers in the memphis area or within a reasonable driving distance? Perhaps dealers that post ads saying they buy comics..

Murph,

Yeah there are four of them and I've called all of them today and told them my story. I personally know two of the store owners as well. All four stores advertise that they buy comics and since Memphis is not NYC the appearance of a 9.4 spidey #50 showing up will stand out like a lamborgini at a used car dealership. I'm hopeful that the guy who took my books is dumb enough to try to liquidate the books here in Memphis. Your right about ebay and the risk of dumping the books locally but I try to never underestimate stupidity........wasn't that a line from bullet tooth Tony in Snatch??? ...........anyway thanks I appreciate everyones advice and the fact that we'll all be looking on ebay.

Chad

Chad. Did you ever purchase any books from someone on the boards that you would have given your address to? Just a thought. On eBay even?

Someone like that would know what kind of books you collect and would have in your collection, and then would know your address if they had to ship some to you.

Reminds me of when a speaker box was stolen from my car. Someone went right after it, knew exactly where it was, and didn't go after anything else of value in my car. They knew it was there.

~Kendall

I've bought books from people on ebay and from this board but no one even remotely local to me. The guys I've bought from on this board are all good guys too. I think it might be someone whose been in my house like my bug man who comes and sets traps each quarter. He's seen my collection...... or he could of mentioned it to someone else in his office who targeted me.

Murph,

Yeah there are four of them and I've called all of them today and told them my story. I personally know two of the store owners as well. All four stores advertise that they buy comics and since Memphis is not NYC the appearance of a 9.4 spidey #50 showing up will stand out like a lamborgini at a used car dealership. I'm hopeful that the guy who took my books is dumb enough to try to liquidate the books here in Memphis. Your right about ebay and the risk of dumping the books locally but I try to never underestimate stupidity........wasn't that a line from bullet tooth Tony in Snatch??? ...........anyway thanks I appreciate everyones advice and the fact that we'll all be looking on ebay.

Chad

If we are going with the assumption that you were robbed by people who knew what they were doing in regards with comic books, I would be on the lookout for books that aren't in CGC cases. If the thieves are halfway intelligent, they would crack the books out of the slab to sell, resubmit to CGC, or even to CGG. Having the CGC serial numbers may not do much good if they were removed from their slabs. Good luck with the search.

Since we're putting on our detective caps, the more I think about it, the more I'm also convinced that this was probably done by someone you know. The odds of a complete stranger breaking into your home just to rob you of comic books is astronomical. Couple that with the fact the burgular knew when you'd be out of town so as to hit your home when it was empty? I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the person who robbed you might be someone you've let into your home before.

Since we're putting on our detective caps, the more I think about it, the more I'm also convinced that this was probably done by someone you know. The odds of a complete stranger breaking into your home just to rob you of comic books is astronomical. Couple that with the fact the burgular knew when you'd be out of town so as to hit your home when it was empty? I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the person who robbed you might be someone you've let into your home before.

This is starting to sound like our own little Identity Crisis theory thread. We'll call it "Theft Crisis". 27_laughing.gif I think it was the mailman. He snuck in through the doggy door. No, it was the gardener through an open window. Ah, to heck with it, it was BATMAN. insane.gif

This is starting to sound like our own little Identity Crisis theory thread. We'll call it "Theft Crisis". 27_laughing.gif I think it was the mailman. He snuck in through the doggy door. No, it was the gardener through an open window. Ah, to heck with it, it was BATMAN. insane.gif

Who benefits?

Probibaly the best advice I can give you is that right now...

I mean RIGHT NOW! go to the store and by a couple of throw away cameras and go all the

comic store's within a twenty-thirty mile radius and deliver them to them.

Tell the LCS your story and the exact issues that you are missing.

With this in mind ask if they will take on of your cameras and take a picture of anybody that brings these in asking to sell them. Also give them your cell/home number to immediately call.

This is an awesome idea that helped me nab the Ahole that ripped open the top of my girl's convertable just to steal a few CD's.

Lucky for me I did this early because usually a thief try to unload stole items within a week.

I say this because the store called me when I was a couple of blocks from the store and when the clerk pointed the thief out I wailed on this clown un-mercifully!

I for one like violence, and was swarming around these stores for days in anticipation for the the opportunity! On the flip side, if you don't like confrontations, I suggest the camera so you can let the law do their thing.

Needless to say I went down to the station for messing this dude up,

but when the clerk backed my story up I was set free.

Good old boy cops down here in the south are cool like that. wink.gif

"Note to self. Do NOT pissoff nerfherder."

dtp-1244_small.jpg

Well, just so you know, I'm not a jerk. I don't go around instigating...

But like Vincent said in Pulp Fiction "Man, it would of been worth the cost of the key scratches

on my ride if I just could of caught them in the act - you just don't f**k with another man's property"