• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! - Silver Age Comic Theft! or Guardians of the Comic Realm I Call on Thee!

150 posts in this topic

Allright!!!!! Chalk one up for the good guys!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad you were able to recover your books, Chad.

I'm with Redhook on this one. Give us the contact info for your shop, and I'll place an order with them. thumbsup2.gif

memphis chad:

congrats on getting your books back. You definitely sound like you're a victim who will actually show up for court.

Make your feelings known to the prosecutor handling the case that you want to see this guy get a stiff penalty. Since Burglary (or whatever your state has similarly) should be the lead Felony, he is facing a fairly severe penalty. Depending on what his background is, and whether your state has sentencing guidelines, he could almost certainly be facing some incarceration time.

Additionally, attend every hearing. In most states, victims have the right to address the Court before sentencing. Take advantage of this and make your feelings known. Getting your books back is the most important goal, but punishing the person who committed the crime and getting justice is equally as important.

Good luck.

Congratulations Chad. thumbsup2.gif

You should sell those books as a pedigree collection, since they're all famous now -- "The Once Stolen Now Returned Pedigree". If it was the bug man that did it, then you should add that notation to your ASM #50 Pedigree copy --- "This ASM #50 Book was Once Stolen by the Bug Man" cloud9.gif

The Terminex Pedigree? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nah...If I hear that, I'm liable to think that these books are half eaten by silverfish or something like that tongue.gif

Great job Chad and next time you have service done to your home, be there or lock all you shtuff up.

That's outstanding news! I'm very happy for you and hope that @sshole gets nailed to the wall. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Im sure that @sshole will get nailed.

If not to the wall then somewhere else! devil.gif

Great post! It had suspense, tension, mystery and a happy ending. Plus it's a story I can relate too. Tell me who did it though.

AWESOME GETTING YOUR BOOKS BACK! grin.gif

p.s. Reading this made me consider sending some of my vaulable books to saftey deposit boxes in banks but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having them to look at? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dude just didn't understand that the comic universe is a small one. It's funny to me that he tried to sell my slabbed book back to the very guy I bought the book from in the first place. What a maroon !!

I hope he likes his cell mate and stale baloney sandwiches

Chad,

Stay on the DA's butt about hammering this guy. I had someone break into my car and just about every other car on the block. He stole some checks from my neighbor's car and started forging them. When I told the DA I wanted to press full charges he essentially blew me off. The forgery thing was all they wanted to try to get him on. In the end he ended up doing about 3 months for breaking into 8 cars, stealing thousands of dollars in stuff and forging $1500 worth of checks.

Just be a pain in the DA's butt. sumo.gif

Well, well, well. It appears that there has been a break in the case. Today I received a call from my LCS and guess what there was a guy standing before the owner of the store (Who is a friend of mine) holding my CGC'd comics. Yes, that's right he didn't even crack them out of the slabs and the serial numbers are a perfect match..

Here's the good part. One of the owners began negotiating to buy the books while the other owner went in the back room and called the cops.

After stalling as long as he could they offered him a deal that he accepted and then asked for his name, address and phone number so he could write the check. My friend then placed the books behind the counter and before signing the check told the guy that these books had been stolen and that the police were on the way. He told the thief that he was welcome to stay and discuss it with the cops but after mumbling something about "you'll hear from my lawyer" he beat it out of the store in less than a couple of minutes. The guys then got his car make, his license plate and waited for the police. The officer got there and ran his name, tag and address and it ALL matched up. I'm traveling out of town but I will be contacting the detective who is working my case tomorrow and I'm going to break it off in this guy as far as I can. He's got breaking and entering, burglary and check forging to answer for.

I'm not sure guys but I believe it's the bug man as I always suspected! but I will confirm this once I'm back in Memphis.

Yes, life is good, justice will be served and at the very least I know I'm going to get some of my books back including my AMS #50 - 9.4! Wahoo!!!!! grin.gif

I thought many of you would like to hear this and I will keep everyone posted as to how this all goes down.

Oh and one more thing - Nerf, if you still want to come to Memphis and punk this guy with me your invited. I'll bring the pillow case and the bars of soap and we'll give this guy the full metal jacket treatment.

More to Follow!

Oh and a final quote "never undrestimate the power of stupidity" - Bullet tooth tony - from the major motion picture Snatch 27_laughing.gif

Chad

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Beyond the good news of the return of your books, this whole thread read better than

some Comics out there on the stands today. REAL LIFE: Still the best entertainment there is .

As a former DA, let me just say that I agree... squeaky wheel always gets the grease. Most of the itmes DAs are just trying to move cases along.

Dude just didn't understand that the comic universe is a small one. It's funny to me that he tried to sell my slabbed book back to the very guy I bought the book from in the first place. What a maroon !!

Chad,

Stay on the DA's butt about hammering this guy. I had someone break into my car and just about every other car on the block. He stole some checks from my neighbor's car and started forging them. When I told the DA I wanted to press full charges he essentially blew me off. The forgery thing was all they wanted to try to get him on. In the end he ended up doing about 3 months for breaking into 8 cars, stealing thousands of dollars in stuff and forging $1500 worth of checks.

Just be a pain in the DA's butt. sumo.gif

Well, well, well. It appears that there has been a break in the case. Today I received a call from my LCS and guess what there was a guy standing before the owner of the store (Who is a friend of mine) holding my CGC'd comics. Yes, that's right he didn't even crack them out of the slabs and the serial numbers are a perfect match..

Here's the good part. One of the owners began negotiating to buy the books while the other owner went in the back room and called the cops.

After stalling as long as he could they offered him a deal that he accepted and then asked for his name, address and phone number so he could write the check. My friend then placed the books behind the counter and before signing the check told the guy that these books had been stolen and that the police were on the way. He told the thief that he was welcome to stay and discuss it with the cops but after mumbling something about "you'll hear from my lawyer" he beat it out of the store in less than a couple of minutes. The guys then got his car make, his license plate and waited for the police. The officer got there and ran his name, tag and address and it ALL matched up. I'm traveling out of town but I will be contacting the detective who is working my case tomorrow and I'm going to break it off in this guy as far as I can. He's got breaking and entering, burglary and check forging to answer for.

I'm not sure guys but I believe it's the bug man as I always suspected! but I will confirm this once I'm back in Memphis.

Yes, life is good, justice will be served and at the very least I know I'm going to get some of my books back including my AMS #50 - 9.4! Wahoo!!!!! grin.gif

I thought many of you would like to hear this and I will keep everyone posted as to how this all goes down.

Oh and one more thing - Nerf, if you still want to come to Memphis and punk this guy with me your invited. I'll bring the pillow case and the bars of soap and we'll give this guy the full metal jacket treatment.

More to Follow!

Oh and a final quote "never undrestimate the power of stupidity" - Bullet tooth tony - from the major motion picture Snatch 27_laughing.gif

Chad

Chad that is awesome news because honestly I didn't think there would be a hope that these books would have been found because I thought the slabbs would have been cracked right away, held on to for a while and then sold privately not at the LCS. makepoint.gif What a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point this guy is. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think the baloney in the sandwiches is what he should be worried about. Send him a seat cushion he's going to need it.

Chad that is awesome news because honestly I didn't think there would be a hope that these books would have been found because I thought the slabbs would have been cracked right away, held on to for a while and then sold privately not at the LCS. makepoint.gif What a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point this guy is. thumbsup2.gif

Ditto - this is excellent news!!!!!!

Major Kudos to your LCS guys - they really went the extra mile for you. as already suggested, let us have their shop name and website, if available. thumbsup2.gif

Hey everyone,

Quick update. I'll get the info on the LCS and tell them what's going on so when they hear from you all they'll make the connection and know what's up.

I will stay close to the Detective on this. Today I got a call from the beat officer who went to my LCS and he told me that I would be hearing from my detective contact which I did later today. The Det. told me that he would be getting all the paperwork tomorrow and would call me. I think they're going to swear out a warrant for this guy.

I do know the bad guys full name and so do the cops so hopefully it's just a matter of time before they get him.

FYI, the check forging was part of the break in. The perp. took some of my checks and cashed two $200 dollar checks at two different branch locations in addition to stealing the books.

I will be all over this and will do whatever I need to do to.

Thanks for the good advice on how to get this guy. I'll keep everyone posted as it develops.