• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This af 15 is not passing the sniff test

122 posts in this topic

They thought it would be an easy scam.

"Hey, we'll just print a copy from the computer and sell it for $5k..."

Yeeeaaaahhhh.

That being said, someone with good graphic design skills and an eye for details could probably successfully pull off a scam like this.

Remember when I talked about a guy at Fan Expo with two CGC books that had doctored labels and was trying to sell them to dealers? :acclaim:

Were you in Philadelphia yesterday by any chance? I saw a guy that looked a lot like you outside a comic shop.

Remember when I talked about a guy at Fan Expo with two CGC books that had doctored labels and was trying to sell them to dealers? :acclaim:

Were you in Philadelphia yesterday by any chance? I saw a guy that looked a lot like you outside a comic shop.

No, but there are like five people that look exactly like me that keep yelling profanities at random people. Its weird and irritating.

Yeeeaaaahhhh.

That being said, someone with good graphic design skills and an eye for details could probably successfully pull off a scam like this.

Cons don't have to be perfect to work.

All they need is the right mark. In this case, the mark is not someone who frequents the boards.

There was never any intent to "sell" this on ebay anyway. ebay is just the advertising vehicle for their scam. It would have been offered indiscriminately to everyone that used the ebay messaging system to ask a question. There would be some emergency that "she" would have need the money "now" and it would be offered off ebay at a fire sale price.

Yeeeaaaahhhh.

Cons don't have to be perfect to work.

All they need is the right mark. In this case, the mark is not someone who frequents the boards.

There was never any intent to "sell" this on ebay anyway. ebay is just the advertising vehicle for their scam. It would have been offered indiscriminately to everyone that used the ebay messaging system to ask a question. There would be some emergency that "she" would have need the money "now" and it would be offered off ebay at a fire sale price.

Hey I'll cut price in half if you send money to friends and family.....

This is off topic, but I love the new avatar...

Well I got me some comics, sat in my chair, cracked open a beer...

And *spooned her right in the *spoon!!!

lol, I quoted you to see what the "spoons" actually were and apparently they're just spoon. :)

You spoony-spooning spooner spoon!

lol, I quoted you to see what the "spoons" actually were and apparently they're just spoon. :)

You spoony-spooning spooner spoon!

Yeah, I actually take the time to type my spoons out. I'm that dedicated!

...and I don't want to receive strikes for cussin'.

This reminds me of a friend of mine and I in about 5th grade...circa 1965...yes, we were young criminals with an eye on taking advantage of the naïve as we might find them...

We were coin collectors and you could take a slot-car motor gear and turn a 1944-D penny into a 1914-D penny by shaving off the first 4 front portion of the first 4 in the 1944 date (have I lost you yet?)...any adult collector would spot the fake a mile away...

His dad was a coin collector and we established him as our first "victim"...offering him one coin and telling him we may have more than one...I think these were going for like $100 bucks at the time...he said wow you got these in change...they're really rare...and we said sure... :insane:

He said what do you want for them and we said they're worth $100 we'll take $50...he quickly unraveled our intended scam...oh, btw...he was a Torrance Police Department Sargent at the time...maybe we should've started with a different mark...

lol

This reminds me of a friend of mine and I in about 5th grade...circa 1965...yes, we were young criminals with an eye on taking advantage of the naïve as we might find them...

We were coin collectors and you could take a slot-car motor gear and turn a 1944-D penny into a 1914-D penny by shaving off the first 4 front portion of the first 4 in the 1944 date (have I lost you yet?)...any adult collector would spot the fake a mile away...

His dad was a coin collector and we established him as our first "victim"...offering him one coin and telling him we may have more than one...I think these were going for like $100 bucks at the time...he said wow you got these in change...they're really rare...and we said sure... :insane:

He said what do you want for them and we said they're worth $100 we'll take $50...he quickly unraveled our intended scam...oh, btw...he was a Torrance Police Department Sargent at the time...maybe we should've started with a different mark...

lol

lol Remind me never to buy from you (again?).

lol

lol Remind me never to buy from you (again?).

I have since corrected my sordid ways and atoned for my sins... (thumbs u