• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm boycotting the Death of Wolverine!

118 posts in this topic

Yes, it is all marketing. Yes he will be back. But not until Marvel owns his movie rights again along with the rest of the X-Men. Marvel is going to write one big check for this to the guys at the "other" studio and say now enjoy that because he's dead in the comics and everyone is going to forget about him until we get him back. Suck it.

I haven't bought a Marvel comic since the 2008 reboots. They can suck it.

Same boat here.Suck it to them.

Since 2000 here, they can double suck it.

Since 1993 here.

How many sucks does that make...?

Well, ok, I bought that whole House of M thing, but it looked interesting. Too bad the whole thing couldn't have been printed in the one issue's worth of actual story it contained.

If we're going all the way back, I started reading stuff that Wolverine was in in 1983, first the limited series, then X-Men. I'm a lifelong Wolverine fan. I got to see him stood up at the alter, see him team up with Kitty in a great teen-centric story about discipline and honor, get Colossus drunk and in a bar fight with Juggernaut, save Dallas from the Advisary (yeah, I liked FotM), team up with Carol Danvers in Rogue's body to get out of Genosha, get crucified and meet Jubilee, learn about his mind-wiped history, go punch-for-punch with a biker in a bar, see him finally reach the afterlife only to come back in the nick of time to save Jean Grey in what turns out to be my most favorite comic of all time, and finally poke Sabretooth in the brain in the fight-to-end-all-fights I'd been waiting to see for 10 years.

Yeah, the bone claws and "animal" Wolverine sucked, and the "Wolverine-in-Hell" was bad, too. I stopped reading it for a few years. Then I got back into it, and Origin was worse, and Origin 2 is almost as bad - but I still like him at his core, and I'll always be reading Wolverine stuff no matter how bad it sucks.

Since 1993 here.

Well, ok, I bought that whole House of M thing, but it looked interesting. Too bad the whole thing couldn't have been printed in the one issue's worth of actual story it contained.

If we're going all the way back, I started reading stuff that Wolverine was in in 1983, first the limited series, then X-Men. I'm a lifelong Wolverine fan. I got to see him stood up at the alter, see him team up with Kitty in a great teen-centric story about discipline and honor, get Colossus drunk and in a bar fight with Juggernaut, save Dallas from the Advisary (yeah, I liked FotM), team up with Carol Danvers in Rogue's body to get out of Genosha, get crucified and meet Jubilee, learn about his mind-wiped history, go punch-for-punch with a biker in a bar, see him finally reach the afterlife only to come back in the nick of time to save Jean Grey in what turns out to be my most favorite comic of all time, and finally poke Sabretooth in the brain in the fight-to-end-all-fights I'd been waiting to see for 10 years.

Yeah, the bone claws and "animal" Wolverine sucked, and the "Wolverine-in-Hell" was bad, too. I stopped reading it for a few years. Then I got back into it, and Origin was worse, and Origin 2 is almost as bad - but I still like him at his core, and I'll always be reading Wolverine stuff no matter how bad it sucks.

Interesting. I felt the 1983 mini was the downfall of the character...if not his popularity obviously.

Yes, it is all marketing. Yes he will be back. But not until Marvel owns his movie rights again along with the rest of the X-Men. Marvel is going to write one big check for this to the guys at the "other" studio and say now enjoy that because he's dead in the comics and everyone is going to forget about him until we get him back. Suck it.

They should really be ashamed of themselves.

Since 1993 here.

Interesting. I felt the 1983 mini was the downfall of the character...if not his popularity obviously.

I suppose it's like anything - I was 10 when I started reading Wolverine, and I kinda grew up with him, so I'm probably biased towards that out of nostalgia. I really enjoyed Kitty Pryde and Wolverine because I was 12 when I read it - so it made an impression on me. If I was 20 and read it, I probably would have thought it was dumb. I was too young to understand the creative scope of the character, but I was also young enough to enjoy it for what it was.

I love comics, I love talking about them, analyzing them and studying them - but sometimes I miss the wide-eyed wonder of just reading a story and simply saying 'cool!' when I finish the last page.

I totally understand people's complaints, I don't blame them - for me, I still manage to look at the ol' Canucklehead through rose-colored glasses.

Mid-to-late 1980s X-Men stories (with Wolverine) were more than often very good stuff.

I liked a lot of that stuff, but I prefer the "ticking time bomb" version of Wolverine as opposed to the "failed samurai".

80% of Old Man Logan was really good stuff.

I'd have to say out of all the modern stuff I've read in the past 10 years, that's easily the best stand-alone Wolvie story. Really worth reading for anyone who left the character behind. If you don't like modern stuff - that one, on it's own, is worth checking out.

I'd have to say out of all the modern stuff I've read in the past 10 years, that's easily the best stand-alone Wolvie story. Really worth reading for anyone who left the character behind. If you don't like modern stuff - that one, on it's own, is worth checking out.

Felt it got stretched to pander to the popularity of the arc, but I really enjoyed the possibilities of that "new" Wolverine universe. Some fertile ground for different storytelling with the character.

The top notch artwork helped as well.

Mid-to-late 1980s X-Men stories (with Wolverine) were more than often very good stuff.

I liked a lot of that stuff, but I prefer the "ticking time bomb" version of Wolverine as opposed to the "failed samurai".

What’s the "ticking time bomb"?

I quite give for granted you are not referring to very recent nonsense, so it must be something different.

I don't care if my LCS is giving the book away I'm not giving in to the hype. This crud brings back way too many bad memories of the death of superman and the collapse in the market we saw soon after. Unless Logan is really dead and plans on staying dead for a decade at least - I'm staying away from all that false hype!

Wow, I didnt know the dead can come back to life after a decade, I gotta keep up with technology

Somebody's probably got a hair or toenail clipping somewhere so he can "grow back".

Groot wasn't the first.

:sumo:

I bought the first couple issues of Dexter because I wasn't paying attention and didn't know it was Marvel. Other than that my "newest" Marvel comic is probably from 1991.

What’s the "ticking time bomb"?

I quite give for granted you are not referring to very recent nonsense, so it must be something different.

Ticking time bomb as in he was a homicidal maniac ( described as such in the book ), who would just as soon turn his claws on a friend as well as a foe given the right circumstances.

Ticking time bomb as in he was a homicidal maniac ( described as such in the book ), who would just as soon turn his claws on a friend as well as a foe given the right circumstances.

That’s what I guessed. :)

For a moment I feared you were aware that they needed to broke the poignancy of political correctness in Northstar’s wedding by making him actually explode.

Felt it got stretched to pander to the popularity of the arc, but I really enjoyed the possibilities of that "new" Wolverine universe. Some fertile ground for different storytelling with the character.

The top notch artwork helped as well.

Yeah, I agree. Not a fan of the coloring (WAY too dark), but McNiven's art just made the series. It's as beautiful in it's own way like BWS art on Weapon X. I hope they don't go back to that - I loved it as a stand-alone story. It has power in being a single epic, trying to go back to the well would just diminish it.

That’s what I guessed. :)

For a moment I feared you were aware that they needed to broke the poignancy of political correctness in Northstar’s wedding by making him actually explode.

This I hadn't heard :eek: