• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm boycotting the Death of Wolverine!

118 posts in this topic

I don't care if my LCS is giving the book away I'm not giving in to the hype. This crud brings back way too many bad memories of the death of superman and the collapse in the market we saw soon after. Unless Logan is really dead and plans on staying dead for a decade at least - I'm staying away from all that false hype!

Story Arcs

Wolverine : Doomsday

Wolverine: Funeral For A Friend

Wolverine: Reign Of The Wolverines

Collected Editions

The Death Of Wolverine

World Without a Wolverine

The Return of Wolverine

The only reason Marvel is killing Wolverine is to hurt 20th Century Fox for having the film rights to the X-Men franchise.

Disney wants to hurt Fox were it counts...$$$$

Fox got their heads up in their :censored: for being greedy :censored::mad:

Just curious as I don't know the situation, but how does Fox wanting to retain the rights they paid for and make money on make them greedy?

The only reason Marvel is killing Wolverine is to hurt 20th Century Fox for having the film rights to the X-Men franchise.

Just curious as I don't know the situation, but how does Fox wanting to retain the rights they paid for and make money on make them greedy?

I believe Marvel Studio has to pay a fee to Fox for using the X-Men franchise.

Plus,I believe Fox still have merchandising rights to the X-Men franchise ( which is why Disney isn't releasing any X-Men related merchandise)

I don't think you're the only one boycotting.

In my case, it's so boring of a concept that I can't waste the time or money buying.

Like most have said, the re-boots were the perfect jumping off point. And because of that, there's no continuity or drive to get it.

There are TONS of copies of each issue at our shop.

Patrick

I'm still an avid modern reader and have defended modern comics pretty patiently here.

Having said that, I haven't touched a Marvel event outside of Spider-Man in years. I'm trying to think of the last I read… Maybe the one with the Skrulls…

They are usually over hyped and anti climatic.

Marvel is in for a surprise when not a single moviegoer cares.

The killing off major characters only to bring them back gimmick is getting old fast.

Ditto for the renumbering gimmick.

Marvel, please treat your customers with just a shred of respect.

Is that too much to ask?

Lets add $4.99 cover price, as well. I rather put that in my gas tank, then have a 10 to 15 minute read about Marvel killing yet another character.

Exactly,as the latest X-Men movie cleared over 700 million worldwide, so why would they care if Marvel doesn`t sell X-Men comics that have a hard time clearing 30,000 to 40,000 copies month? Fox don`t care. They got the golden goose.

Marvel isn't doing this because of Fox having the movie rights. :eyeroll:

The number of people who read comics is infinitesimal compared to the number of movie goers. If all comics books stopped being produced today, superhero movies would continue to make money and nobody would care expect for the 250,000 or so new comic readers left. So, Marvel doing this isn't going to hurt Fox whatsoever.

And how is it that Fox is the company being greedy? Marvel made this deal with Fox. Now all of a sudden, Fox is the one being greedy?

+1

Not that the killing of Wolverine has anything at all to do with Fox.

It is Marvel's greed that is driving this.

+1

Actually it is now Disney.

+1

Actually it is now Disney.

...And that statement makes me think about South Park's interpretation of Mickey Mouse :roflmao:

As much of a gimmick these are, I just read the 1st 2 issues.

1) At $4.99 these are actually a good value compared to most comics being put out now. In the first issue you get the 22 pages of story, a lengthy interview with Wolverine co-creator Len Wein, several pages of -script and loads of sketches and behind the scenes stuff. Add in that snazzy cover and this definitely packs bang for the buck. I'm honestly surprised that Marvel didn't try to make this one a 6.99 cover.

2) The art is beautiful, and the writing is surprisingly awesome.

4) Obviously Wolverine won't stay dead. Obviously it's a ploy to sell books. What would be a shame is to miss out on something that's really cool just to defy the gimmicky nature of it.

3) I didn't want to like this, and love it. 90% of new stuff that I read I feel the exact opposite about. I wish I had pre-ordered a ton of these as I actually would love to promote it more. As it stands I only ordered a single copy of each, and I'm keeping them. Out of the hundreds of new Marvel books I've read over the past five years there are probably less than 30 that I felt were actually worth reading. These 2 are amongst elite company.

I say all this because I felt very similar about this series before it started. I didn't order a bunch because I didn't want to deal in "that kind of junk." I'm now actually looking forward to the next issue of a Marvel book as much as I look forward to "Saga" and "Invincible".

The killing off major characters only to bring them back gimmick is getting old fast.

Ditto for the renumbering gimmick.

Marvel, please treat your customers with just a shred of respect.

Is that too much to ask?

Lets add $4.99 cover price, as well.

Are they puttng out 2 issues a month as well?