• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I received an interesting phone call last week...

495 posts in this topic

Wow, with that eye appeal, you're looking at $25k right there.

no

(shrug)

More?

2.0 just went for $35k >> old label looking for a bump

And the 1.5 that went for $25k back in early 2012?

no

(shrug)

More?

scan ?

no

(shrug)

More?

And the 2 1.8s that sold for $24k and $17k last year? I'm just jumping in. I have no idea about the market for #31s.

Everyone wants to get ahead

And some are closer than others

Being in the Red or Black in life can easily sway perspective.

You are right. But when you are in bad shape and still do what's right, that is what defines you. It's not what you do when you can afford to, it's what you do when you can't afford to do it and still do.

Pat: Best post in the thread.

What I have learned from this thread is people need to shut up what they post on the internet.

CC is going to damage himself (and is already on the ess list of many members of the board) because of his need for "look at me, look what I got" and if Chip doesn't say a thing, people aren't attacking his morals. People just be quiet, and don't need to be "noticed" all the time. It doesn't end well.

Do your business, sell the book and shut up about how you acquired it, in real life nobody really gives two esses.

Jim

no

(shrug)

More?

scan ?

Of the GPA results?

That poor woman..
there are laws to protect the good honest people who are not aware or knowledgable of antiques and collectibles. I know for certain that Auctioneers are controlled under these laws. And there are many cases of fraudulent obtaining (swindling) by knowledgable professionals on their chosen fields that have had cases like these come back to bite them.

Man were they surprised to see me back at their door after I sold those two books with cash in hand (1/2 the proceeds from those two books) to give them. It really helped them out and they were totally floored. lol That really made a good collection find story into a GREAT one.

It's nice that you were in a position to do that.

What people don't get around here is that some of us are not in that kind of position at all.

hm

He was "in that position" in the first place because of this couple's books.

He literally wouldn't have been in that position at all without them.

Everyone wants to get ahead

And some are closer than others

Being in the Red or Black in life can easily sway perspective.

You are right. But when you are in bad shape and still do what's right, that is what defines you. It's not what you do when you can afford to, it's what you do when you can't afford to do it and still do.

How to define what is "right" and what is "wrong" can be somewhat subjective as this thread shows.

Don't lie

Don't cheat

Don't steal

Easy words to live by if brought up with a strong moral compass which I have.

I recall being in Greg Whites shack in Kissimmee Florida. Only been there once with no plans to go back. He bought two full paper grocery sacks of comics from an older lady for $300. After she left, I asked if I could see what he bought....Every single SA DC key was in there from Showcase 4 up. I was amazed at what a jackalope he was. She didn't ask for $300, its what he offered her. There's right and there is wrong.

I asked how much for a few books and he pulled out the Overstreet and quoted over full retail. :lol: ps he still lives with his momma. Or did back then. This was well over 5 years ago. Kingofrulers was with me if I recall correctly.

no

(shrug)

More?

scan ?

Of the GPA results?

And the 2 1.8s that sold for $24k and $17k last year? I'm just jumping in.

Everything is relative.