• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2023 at 5:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

Sounds like another studio affecting the end product of the art. 

I'd hate to be a director or producer and have my creation completely ruined by studio execs. Incredible how often this happens. I was unaware of it being so common in movies until the extensive discussions we've had over the last few months.

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/18/2023 at 2:06 PM, VintageComics said:

Sounds like another studio affecting the end product of the art. 

I'd hate to be a director or producer and have my creation completely ruined by studio execs. Incredible how often this happens. I was unaware of it being so common in movies until the extensive discussions we've had over the last few months.

Warner Bros. got so spooked by critical and blooger responses to their early DCEU properties they turned over final editing of Suicide Squad (2016) to the trailer marketing company. Leading to six (6) different cuts created by that company for final WB executive decisioning (not David Ayer).

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. “Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand,” says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn’t deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited. (A source says he left by the end of the process and that the final editor was Michael Tronick.) “When you have big tentpoles and time pressure, you pull in resources from every which way you can,” says this source. “You can’t do it the way it used to be, with one editor and one assistant editor.”

As much smoke and mirrors that surrounds the early MCU films (e.g. always were successful; characters were all B-List/C-List/D-List), even with The Incredible Hulk failing at the box office and Captain America: The First Avenger only breaking even, it held the course believing in its long-term vision. Nobody can take that away from Marvel Studios/Marvel Entertainment. And with the latter, the MCC was guiding films at that time. Though it later led to Edgar Wright walking away from Ant-Man.

Edited by Bosco685