• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

I finally watched it too. Lots of fun stuff, but the plot was so stupid. The girl villain has supernatural powers and gets taken out by a claymore? Really. After an endless and pointers raid on an office building climax?

Nice setup for DC universe, and had a decent GOTG vibe... But so so overall.

And amen to the Margot Robbie butt shot drinking game. Aft a awhile I was embarrassed to have to keep looking at her butt! Like fish in a barrel!

I've also caught BvS on cable lately. It holds up better second times through. But still, doesn't have a great flow. The pieces come together, but they were presented in such. Scattered we that you hadn't had the fun of assembling them in your mind. You are watching no guessing no then -- Martha! Lois wasn't in the room yet, how did she know they were talking about Martha? She arrives and tells batman she's his moms name too.

And Doomsday really only served to deliver us the awesome WW fight scenes!

Edited by aman619

I've also caught BvS on cable lately. It holds up better second times through. But still, doesn't have a great flow. The pieces come together, but they were presented in such. Scattered we that you hadn't had the fun of assembling them in your mind. You are watching no guessing no then -- Martha! Lois wasn't in the room yet, how did she know they were talking about Martha? She arrives and tells batman she's his moms name too.

I thought it was much better on the second go as well.

I thought so too. I remember temporary changing my personal star rating to **1/2, until I watched The Avengers again (back to **.) lol

Watching Suicide Squad tonight. It will probably suck, but it's probably going to be a while before they get A-list talent to make The Dark Knight movies again. Affleck has directed and co-written some pretty good movies though. :wishluck:

I watched the Ultimate Edition of BVS last night - I don't think it improves the movie. I sort of like BVS, it has some good bits in it, but I liked it less on a second viewing. The only way the movie could be improved is if you took all of the rubbish parts away, which would be many. Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Luthor just ruins the whole thing - it's jarring every time he's on the screen and feels like it should have appeared in the Adam West TV show.

And Doomsday - just really, really atrocious.

So, if Suicide Squad is worse than BVS, as some have said, I can't even contemplate how bad that movie is.

I thought so too. I remember temporary changing my personal star rating to **1/2, until I watched The Avengers again (back to **.) lol

Watching Suicide Squad tonight. It will probably suck, but it's probably going to be a while before they get A-list talent to make The Dark Knight movies again. Affleck has directed and co-written some pretty good movies though. :wishluck:

You will love every minute of it (thumbs u

200.gif

I'm thinking I'm long overdue to like a recently panned movie and I did like one of the trailers (the one that played "You Don't Own Me" over the soundtrack.) So, I'm a little excited. I just have been worried it's going to be too much like Batman: Assault on Arkham. That's probably the only thing that could distract me.

Exactly. Suicide Squad was a huge hit. Mainstream,especially women loved it.

Looking at the recent numbers I noticed Suicide Squad beat Doctor Strange and trounced the latest Star Trek movie at the box office! Suicide Squad like Deadpool are what modern mainstream audiences like.

Yeah, it must be. I thought Deadpool was great. Well beyond my expectations.

SS was about what I expected.

I watched about half of it last night (will finish today)...here are my initial thoughts:

Will Smith was good and the most interesting character. Harley (Robbie) is really hot but I don't really understand her purpose on the team other than fanboy eye candy.

I liked Leto, other than the teeth which I found distracting. He was basically doing his version of the Ledger Joker. He was a good psycho. I thought he was pretty good. I don't have any real issue with him being used moving forward.

The Batman scenes were pretty cool.

Movie was ok, but was a bit hard to follow/jumbled. I thought BvS was better.

The music/soundtrack was overdone. Every scene seemed like a mini music video. Not standard movie background music, but actual songs. I thought it was pretty annoying.

Glad a waited to rent it and didn't spend the $$$ in the theatre. I might watch a second one, but it'd be a rental as well.

Even with the extended scenes, this still may not be the movie for you. And there isn't anything wrong with that. Heck, I love most Marvel Studios movies. But have never watched The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World after the first viewing. Just too painful an experience!

But if you get past the jumbled soundtrack (I think Ayer was using the soundtrack as an extension of the story to convey the character vastly differing influences), it's just a fun action flick without any deep theme or message.

I do wish the Enchantress minions had been something more than TV Power Ranger bubblehead creatures. But that's a minor concern. Seeing Katana, Killer Croc, Rick Flagg, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang and Harley team up was the real focus. Though an impressive villain at the level of a Batman-Joker tension-level would have made this movie more impactful.

I'm thinking I'm long overdue to like a recently panned movie and I did like one of the trailers (the one that played "You Don't Own Me" over the soundtrack.) So, I'm a little excited. I just have been worried it's going to be too much like Batman: Assault on Arkham. That's probably the only thing that could distract me.

You don't have to worry about any Yahtzee moments ;)

lol

When I went to the theater, I did expect a scene like that to show up.

Watched it.

Not as bland as the last X-Men movie or BvS.

It was really too choppy and suffered from obvious tinkering. A lot of the actors had zero chemistry together(Flagg and Enchantress-Joker and Harley,) the CG henchmen is getting overdone to protect the PG-13 rating and the constant song score was an annoying device.

But, I didn't hate it.

Some of the actors were a hoot as they PG-teased evil stuff, the movie had moments and it moved fast enough.

It's just I'm gonna forget about this movie by tomorrow.

**1/2 out of four stars.

Suicide Squad is a right mess of a movie with very little redeeming features. I was completely disinterested through the whole thing which reminds me of Age of Ultron.

Doubt I will watch it again.

lol

When I went to the theater, I did expect a scene like that to show up.

I was a little concerned too as it was 15 rated over here. Well done for showing some restraint this time, Harley ;)

Watched it.

Not as bland as the last X-Men movie or BvS.

It was really too choppy and suffered from obvious tinkering. A lot of the actors had zero chemistry together(Flagg and Enchantress-Joker and Harley,) the CG henchmen is getting overdone to protect the PG-13 rating and the constant song score was an annoying device.

But, I didn't hate it.

Some of the actors were a hoot as they PG-teased evil stuff, the movie had moments and it moved fast enough.

It's just I'm gonna forget about this movie by tomorrow.

**1/2 out of four stars.

At least you didn't hate it lol

Always love a review that uses the words "tinkering" and "PG-teased" ;)

Things I liked about it: All the action segments of it, which was surprisingly a large portion of the movie. Without getting into spoilers, I liked how some members tried to escape, then some wanted to quit halfway through. It was more believable than just having some immediate "group unity" which would have been out of place with these characters. The bar scene helped save my interest after that point. Will Smith & Margot Robbie did great imo.

The bad: Jared Leto. I waited to see the extended cut on bluray, never saw the theatrical version thinking it would be better with more of him in it. But maybe the studio was onto something, all the scenes with Joker were fairly obnoxious and over-acted. I wasn't buying anything he did, he just seemed like he was trying to act crazy too hard. His role was also fairly pointless throughout the movie, so even if he did a good job it wouldn't have mattered much. The whole story felt that way, rushing through with the bare minimum character development to reach the end finale. I did kind of like how the way they introduced all the characters but it didn't help develop any of them. From that point on we didn't see much development either, it was straight into rounding up the group. Whole story felt forced really but of the positives above I guess it was still better than nothing. :shrug:

Edited by 90sChild

I think we should all give Leto a break. Let's face it...

1) Joker was only in the movie as a vehicle for Harley Quinn. It's about time the roles were reversed. Equality and all that...

2) You try acting with those teeth.

I didn't mind his "Joker." I didn't mind Robie's "Harley." I just thought they had absolutely no chemistry together, like she had with Will Smith (even in Focus.)

But at least they had a string of scenes almost in montage form, to justify their love and devotion, granted.

Joel Kinnaman and Cara Delevigne were in some kind re-written -script limbo. One moment he's protecting her in a board meeting, concerned about her powers in an apartment, then he's taking her out in the field. Once she takes off, he's practically "Oh Well." We see no conflict of him coming to kill her, maybe because they inserted that scene where she tells him too, if she goes all Dark Phoenix. When he crushes her heart, there's nothing that rings true. Even when he's walking away from her carcass. Yet, the plot requires them to be happy together. Granted, he was a highly trained soldier, but there's no sense to his character's motivations.

I think he was supposed to be the audience member connection in this group around these superhero guys. Instead, he has all the personality of a brick, like Kristen Stewart in Twilight.