• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

As part of the 'Gotham City Sirens' announcement...

Warner Bros. Developing SUICIDE SQUAD Sequel & Deadshot Spin-Off

Suicide Squad was a tough production and the movie underwent some reshoots but it all turned out fine for all parties involved as the movie grossed over $745.6 million global. It is now the 13th highest-grossing superhero release of all-time domestically and has surpassed the international box office of Deadpool, a movie to which it was often compared to in terms of tone.

The studio is still developing a Squad sequel as well as looking into a spin-off featuring Deadshot, the assassin character played by Will Smith. But this project was the most furthest along, and with Robbie’s Quinn having received near universal praise from Squad, this was the most natural project for Ayer with which to make his Warners return. The filmmaker is currently nearing the end of principal photography for Bright, his fantasy thriller for Netflix that stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton.

Warner doesn’t have a release date for Sirens, but the project is now on the fast-track.

Just received the Suicide Squad Extended Cut Blu-ray. Watched the movie for the first time today (was sick while it was showing in theaters :( ). For me, it was just okay. I liked BvS DoJ better.

I think I prefer rewatching Batman: TAS "Mad Love" episode for my Harley fix and Batman: Assault on Arkham for Suicide Squad. Honestly, I felt like the kids cartoon version (Batman: TAS) had more depth than the movie interpretation of Harley's origins. I'd be more than fine watching Suicide Squad without Jared Leto's Joker. (shrug)

Edited by aerischan

I finally saw this movie last night. Picked up the Blu-Ray and put in the extended version. Didn't bother with the Theatrical cut.

In all honesty, I thought BvS was "OK". Wasn't great, but I didn't hate it, and the extended cut was a tab better. With SS, I just didn't like this movie at all. To me, it was an even more jumbled mess that BvS. If indeed it was all the Joker scenes that they took out, then I can't imagine how worse the theatrical cut was as I thought all the Jay Leto scenes were the best parts of the movie.

Really disappointed and have no faith in Justice League and Wonder Woman right now. Aquaman? Maybe a sliver a hope. At least James Wan has a pretty strong pedigree as a good film maker.

I finally saw this movie last night. Picked up the Blu-Ray and put in the extended version. Didn't bother with the Theatrical cut.

In all honesty, I thought BvS was "OK". Wasn't great, but I didn't hate it, and the extended cut was a tab better. With SS, I just didn't like this movie at all. To me, it was an even more jumbled mess that BvS. If indeed it was all the Joker scenes that they took out, then I can't imagine how worse the theatrical cut was as I thought all the Jay Leto scenes were the best parts of the movie.

Really disappointed and have no faith in Justice League and Wonder Woman right now. Aquaman? Maybe a sliver a hope. At least James Wan has a pretty strong pedigree as a good film maker.

I have a lot of faith in the Wonder Woman movie because she was fantastic in BvS, and the Wonder Woman trailer looks excellent. I agree with you though, SS was very average and so was BvS. I will say I liked BvS more after viewing it a second time.

I have a lot of faith in the Wonder Woman movie because she was fantastic in BvS, and the Wonder Woman trailer looks excellent. I agree with you though, SS was very average and so was BvS. I will say I liked BvS more after viewing it a second time.

Prior to Suicide Squad, my rankings for future DC movies in order of how much I wanted to see them.

1. Wonder Woman

2. Flash

3. Aquaman

3.5 Batman (are we sure this is a thing?)

4. Justice League

5. Cyborg

My current rankings

1. Wonder Woman

2. Gotham City Sirens

3. Aquaman

4. Flash

5. Batman

6. Suicide Squad 2 (if it exists)

7. Superman 2 (if it exists)

8. Justice League

9. Cyborg

Oh Man. That's horrible.

:takeit:

I only have the digital HD versions.

:baiting:

Haven't seen it yet

Waiting for it to come on Turner Classics

If Turner Classics only shows classics, I'm afraid you will never see it...

Well I assumed in 40-50 years they'll be looking for decent movies and you are probably correct

Not sure I would compare Suicide Squad to Transformers #1. The latter movie had quite a few favorable critic reviews, which is why they moved on the sequel so quickly. The main complaint was 'too many humans' as a concern.

And it was based on a widely popular toy line and animated series. So built-in audience for a portion of theater-goers.

And it looks like it is taking them six movies to build up the courage to develop a spin-off.

Other than that, you may be right.

(:

Umm...because they're both absolute movies that still made money at the box office, and therefore, sequels.

And you're right. Transformers 1 isn't a good comparison to Suicide Squad -- per Rotten Tomatoes, twice as many critics liked the former vs. the latter.

But to me, critical and box office aside, the movies are precise comps in that they both had enormous potential and yet turned out to be in execution.

Opportunities missed.

Watched it last night and my thoughts are spot on with yours. Although I think you'd be able to make a new drinking game: take a drink every time there is a shot of Margot Robbie's butt.

Umm...because they're both absolute movies that still made money at the box office, and therefore, sequels.

And you're right. Transformers 1 isn't a good comparison to Suicide Squad -- per Rotten Tomatoes, twice as many critics liked the former vs. the latter.

But to me, critical and box office aside, the movies are precise comps in that they both had enormous potential and yet turned out to be in execution.

Opportunities missed.

Suicide Squad was definitely not a great movie.

As far as missed opportunity, that may be a different story. Otherwise, why the recent news?

Suicide Squad hit the audience it was aiming for, which wasn't 30+ year old male comic collectors. This is why it did so well at the box office yet most boardies did not care for it.

I thought it was a fun summer movie, just like the Transformers franchise, and enjoyed it. For my daughter, her friends, and most other younger females I know, it hit the right chrod and they saw it multiple times. This film resonated well with the younger (it is a sign of aging when you have to refer to 20-25 yos as young :cry: ) female audience and it showed in the final box office results.

Does the Extended Cut make it better?

I think it did, but still flawed. Same as B Vs S

I thought the extended version would include way more Joker.

Jim

A few of us noted the Extended Cut does help with the story flow. Even though it is all of 11:54 minutes added back in.

I'm a little mixed on the Joker appearances, though. I didn't want him to dominate the movie. Just enough to complement the Suicide Squad story, like was done in Batman: Assault On Arkham. But I still don't like the forehead tattoo, and the scene with Common where he says, "You don't want no beef" - it's distracting.

I'd rather they stick to the traditional Joker character design. That's tough enough to pull off, without adding to the delivery by changing up some of the character look and feel. Not to say Leto was horrible in the role. He wasn't.

I watched about half of it last night (will finish today)...here are my initial thoughts:

Will Smith was good and the most interesting character. Harley (Robbie) is really hot but I don't really understand her purpose on the team other than fanboy eye candy.

I liked Leto, other than the teeth which I found distracting. He was basically doing his version of the Ledger Joker. He was a good psycho. I thought he was pretty good. I don't have any real issue with him being used moving forward.

The Batman scenes were pretty cool.

Movie was ok, but was a bit hard to follow/jumbled. I thought BvS was better.

The music/soundtrack was overdone. Every scene seemed like a mini music video. Not standard movie background music, but actual songs. I thought it was pretty annoying.

Glad a waited to rent it and didn't spend the $$$ in the theatre. I might watch a second one, but it'd be a rental as well.