• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Open Letter to CGC

226 posts in this topic

dang

well it takes $$$ to buy all those IMSMs....

maybe you''re on to something

I have made more money sleepwalking on eBay than I could ever dream of...

A lot of those IMSM's I sold I paid less than $10.00 for them. Some of the graded CGC ones I did real, real well. Especially the NM 9.4's and 9.6's.

Should have kept those raw Iron man # 1's though. Oh well, live and learn!

CAL gotta go but will stop back now that Stu is here again...

I also don't understand why people are already starting to write CGCs eulogy. CBCS has been around for 3 months.

There are about TEN guys, maybe twelve tops, that have dabbled in Comics for around forty( 40 - not a typo) years or more.

Maybe about another five tops that don't have the years of the military "time-in-grade", but nonetheless reached the upper echelons of comic dealer/collector/enthusiast enough to know what I am discussing tongue-in-cheek here.

These professional comic folks have seen all cycles of the boom, busts, and general malaise throughout comics AND other markets, including the Stock market. They know when the winds of change have struck.

Discussing at a CGC booth anywhere/worldwide would solve nothing. It is the TOP BRASS that has to make any and all changes. They have repeatedly refused to do so. The winds of change gathered steam.

Many CGC Forumite has been chased out of here. In my case, for no good reason

other than those here can't stand the brutal honesty I gladly give.

These same CGCers then cry-the-blues because they:

1) can't sell on the Forum only Threads;

2) cry about eBay when they should make that system work FOR them instead of against them;

3) cry about then CHARGE customers PayPal fees( the ultimate sign of non-professionalism);

4) too lazy to use the SEARCH function; so we have to endure pages of drivel on beaten-to-death topics;

and I am being lazy here now: too many other reasons far beyond this post/topic to impress upon.

Until the $40 per month in Adsense or whatever pays a part of this Forum dries up( and if you did not read my post about this two years ago, your loss), THEN they will start some sort of Membership fee that I proposed years ago.

AT THAT POINT the "professional comics folks" have a chance to help CGC salvage a well-intended enterprise; much depending on the subsequent steps CGC themselves decide to undertake.

95% of the people on here read/buy/sell whatever comics. A select few have reached the pinnacle of this Hobby. Those who know just plain know; the junior mechanic in the Auto shop has no clue what the Master knows; he will get there, but not overnight. It is unwise for that junior mechanic to criticize the master certified machine-tested Degreed mechanic.

There are NEW technologies in use by the FBI and other law enforcement groups due to the fraud and thefts in Fine Arts. The only one I am willing to share is the perfecting the infra-red screening to detect, you guessed it: color touch. You guys think that comics are the only art form that gets the sharpie pen dots???

Time to re-evaluate your entire positions in this has-been-in-decline Hobby for the past five years. I know I have repositioned myself to a still-profitable business model, and that is WITHOUT eBay. But many here will not be able to do that.

Hope this helps in some way

CAL who has many methods of earning the coin( pun intended)

Cal Cal CAL!!! (worship)

Cal thinks there's only ten guys who have dabbled in comics for forty years? lol

How else would he be able to get all those IMSMs?

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

They've needed this for a long time. I thought the claim was it couldn't be done.

Personally, I hate this idea.

There is now also a service coming that would allow previously signed books to have the signatures authenticated and then graded accordingly.

They've needed this for a long time. I thought the claim was it couldn't be done.

Personally, I hate this idea.

because of potential fraud?

It can't be done 100% but an expert saying they are 95% sure it is authentic is good enough

Grades can't be 100%, restoration detection can't be 100%, nothing CGC provides is 100%. But if every other hobby has signature verification and authentication, why not comics?

I would trust CGC to hire the best experts they could find. That's the most important thing. There's pawn shop owners out there that will say your bootleg Rolex is real because it has a mechanical movement. Even terrible fakes that someone with minimal watch knowledge like myself could spot from a mile away. That's why the smart pawn shop guys won't even deal in fine watches.

But take that same watch to an authorized Rolex dealer and have their Rolex certified service watchsmith open the case and they will not be fooled by any fake, no matter how good it is.

If they are going to use the same method as other authenticators it will not be an expert doing the authenticating. It will be a computer.
That works too. I'm just saying I trust that they would do it the best way possible. I think their restoration detection is the best a comic collector can ask for, even if it's been off once or twice. A sig may be off once or twice too some day, but how long has CGC been around and how many times have they caught undisclosed professional resto? Enough to make the service worthwhile. All that combined with comics not really being all that much more valuable when autographed and I'm thinking there's little reward for a fraud that is likely very detectable. Of course you have to be more wary about some sigs than others. A shiny silver LIEFELD scribbled across a Deathmate comic, it's probably legit. An Eisner sig on a Spirit newspaper supplement (Do they even slab those? Just an example anyway) and you might want to have an expert verify.