• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

It is a terribly ugly book.

But when I think of characters that cross generations and have a large number of fans outside comic hobbyists, I think: Wolverine, Punisher, Deadpool, Harley Quinn.

Obviously, I'm ignoring all the Marvel "bigs."

Remember when Wolverine was in every single damn comic on the shelves? That's been Deadpool for a while now. And Punisher was all over the place. They are massively popular. How many people do you see on the street wearing Punisher shirts? I think loads of people who aren't comic collectors and hardly comic readers love those characters. And I think those first appearances will retain and increase in value.

As to the Marvel bigs, I think there are many more fans interested in owning Wolverine's first comic appearance than, say, Spidey's.

And yes, this is utter conjecture on my part.

None. What streets you been walkin down?

Makes perfect sense though. I love me some Scar Jo and the Avengers movies were entertaining, so I am definitely going to go buy the first appearance of Black Widow. I don't read comics at all, but it will be cool to own!... That way when I have parties I can take it out and show people and be like: "look, this is the first appearance of the character that Scar Jo (I do love her) played in Avengers in a comic book!" Then people will be like; "wow, we don't read comics either but that is really cool and a definite wise use of your money because even though no one reads comics anymore this is definitely a good investment! You are so smart!" And I will be like "word."

Well, that's a misnomer.

image.jpg

But when I think of characters that cross generations and have a large number of fans outside comic hobbyists, I think: Wolverine, Punisher, Deadpool, Harley Quinn.

Remember when Wolverine was in every single damn comic on the shelves? That's been Deadpool for a while now. And Punisher was all over the place. They are massively popular. How many people do you see on the street wearing Punisher shirts? I think loads of people who aren't comic collectors and hardly comic readers love those characters. And I think those first appearances will retain and increase in value.

As to the Marvel bigs, I think there are many more fans interested in owning Wolverine's first comic appearance than, say, Spidey's.

Makes perfect sense though. I love me some Scar Jo and the Avengers movies were entertaining, so I am definitely going to go buy the first appearance of Black Widow. I don't read comics at all, but it will be cool to own!... That way when I have parties I can take it out and show people and be like: "look, this is the first appearance of the character that Scar Jo (I do love her) played in Avengers in a comic book!" Then people will be like; "wow, we don't read comics either but that is really cool and a definite wise use of your money because even though no one reads comics anymore this is definitely a good investment! You are so smart!" And I will be like "word."

Well, that's a misnomer.

image.jpg

Sarcasm that follows missing the point and misreading someone's statement is kind of a fail.

Well, that's a misnomer.

image.jpg

Sarcasm that follows missing the point and misreading someone's statement is kind of a fail.

I didn't miss any points, you just didn't make any valid ones (beyond the observation that Deadpool has been crossed over to death).

:shrug:

Honestly you rambled a little bit of nonsense, tried to connect unrelated phenomena and then ended with a unrealistic conclusion...

So yeah, I responded with a ridiculous statement. It is kinda what we do around here.

:foryou:

Edited by rfoiii

To stay on the topic(somewhat)... even a potentially crappy R rated movie made for only the fan base wont kill this book. Deadpools popularity is immune to bad writing, bizarre storylines and no continuity.

This is Generation Y's book of choice and nothing is going to change that now.

To stay on the topic(somewhat)... even a potentially crappy R rated movie made for only the fan base wont kill this book. Deadpools popularity is immune to bad writing, bizarre storylines and no continuity.

It has probably a lot to do with the nature of the character.

Deadpool struggled to find an identity as a character (and surely New Mutants #98 is not representative of that identity) but when he did he came to life.

I used to dislike what he represented to my eyes, but then I looked better and realized that he is emblematic of what Marvel has done in recent times, in context.

And I am saying this for the good and for the bad: what I criticize Marvel for, it’s definitely not Deadpool. Deadpool is a quite nice character, and I place it more or less in the league of Howard the Duck and She-Hulk*.

At crossroads between phenomenon, satire and a proper classic Marvel age character: he won’t be "scraped off" from history, IMO.

*Well, the late She-Hulk, when she started to become more ironic and self-assured, after the absurd Byrne series (which I did not like). The Fantastic Four (and after) She-Hulk, that is. :)

Nothing is immune to poor adaptations, that is just silly. I take your comment to mean "one bad movie can't kill a character" which I agree. However there is a limit and certainly a book with such a HUGE number of available copies, the speculators/flippers will drop out of the mix with a bad movie and that alone will drop the value of the book. Surely not to zero, but it would adjust.

To your second point on Gen Y, can you help me understand what information you are using to make your claim? I feel like this isn't as simple as "a generation likes this character, so he will be popular forever and his first appearance comic is only ever going to increase in value..." Many characters with a much larger fan bases and longer popular history have faded significantly or even completely from existence...

I think this is currently true of Deadpool and Harley as well. However, it remains to be seen how much staying power they will really have. For the most part, they haven't crossed generations yet, or even really dealt with an aging fan base.

Will the "kids" who are excited about these characters now still be excited by them in their 50s? Will their kids be excited about them as well? That is really the test of a character's staying power.

Deadpool has always been ahead of his time, which is one reason why it took so long for him to find his place.

Um… Not since the beginning – he’s not really defined in New Mutants #98.

In fact, it would have been a lot better if Bob Harras and Marvel did not let happen what it happened but… oh, well.

But they gave him character afterwards, that is undeniable, otherwise no one would be looking for NM#98 or early X-Force…

Actually, I think I made the mistake of writing more than two sentences, which is deadly in these parts. I don't teach reading comprehension to adults, so I'll leave things at whatever murky point they're at.

Sorry, I was a cranky pants. I knew when I posted that I wasn't terribly clear. Generally, I'm not one to go chaffing chaps, which is also open to interpretation.