• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

lol

poop_0_zps64bc2420.jpg

lol

You have no idea how hard that hits home for me right now.

:roflmao:

;)

How old's your baby?

18 months in 5 days. Huge loads!

lol

Been there, done that. Such a cute age though. Boy or girl?

Little boy and by little I mean giant. He is super cute but starting the whole tantrum thing.

Any advice?

Boy, good. Less nooks and crannies to clean. lol

Advice?

The hand off.

Good advice.

As for the tantrums, try to keep in mind that they do grow out of it. One day they wake up and they are all sweet again. Then with boys around 16 or so the hormones kick in. You'll be reminded how much trouble you were to your dad. But at least with boys you mostly know the score. They complain bitterly about things perceived as unfair. Girls learn to look at you sweetly and say "OK Daddy" when you say no.

Then a few days later they casually mentioning they are studying at a friends house. Which just happens to be the same day to the thing you said no too.

Doesn't matter. Being a parent is the greatest. I realized a long time ago there'd be no statue of me in the park, no school or library with my name. Raising good human beings - best job in the world and a lasting legacy.

lol

poop_0_zps64bc2420.jpg

lol

You have no idea how hard that hits home for me right now.

;)

How old's your baby?

18 months in 5 days. Huge loads!

lol

Been there, done that. Such a cute age though. Boy or girl?

Little boy and by little I mean giant. He is super cute but starting the whole tantrum thing.

Any advice?

Boy, good. Less nooks and crannies to clean. lol

Advice?

The hand off.

Good advice.

As for the tantrums, try to keep in mind that they do grow out of it. One day they wake up and they are all sweet again. Then with boys around 16 or so the hormones kick in. You'll be reminded how much trouble you were to your dad. But at least with boys you mostly know the score. They complain bitterly about things perceived as unfair. Girls learn to look at you sweetly and say "OK Daddy" when you say no.

Then a few days later they casually mentioning they are studying at a friends house. Which just happens to be the same day to the thing you said no too.

Doesn't matter. Being a parent is the greatest. I realized a long time ago there'd be no statue of me in the park, no school or library with my name. Raising good human beings - best job in the world and a lasting legacy.

Thanks for the advice! Feel the same way, couldn't wait to be a father and love it everyday!

:gossip: won't miss the diapers though!

Edited by rfoiii

But I can no more prove you wrong than I can prove myself right. I find myself wondering if we are arguing a false dilemma? Perhaps it's both: It's possible that both large numbers of existing collectors add issues to their want lists when a movie is announced or TV show keeps growing in popularity - AND that new readers and collectors are born from those same movies and TV shows. Both things happening, both contributing to upward prices that start looking like bubbles to a lot of people.

:idea:

It makes sense that it could be both. Far more plausible than an extreme of one or the other.

I have to say, I have enjoyed the discussion.

Me too! :devil: It's been fun, I've learned things. Thank you!

But I can no more prove you wrong than I can prove myself right. I find myself wondering if we are arguing a false dilemma? Perhaps it's both: It's possible that both large numbers of existing collectors add issues to their want lists when a movie is announced or TV show keeps growing in popularity - AND that new readers and collectors are born from those same movies and TV shows. Both things happening, both contributing to upward prices that start looking like bubbles to a lot of people.

It makes sense that it could be both. Far more plausible than an extreme of one or the other.

I have to say, I have enjoyed the discussion.

Me too! :devil: It's been fun, I've learned things. Thank you!

Feeling is mutual! (thumbs u

Still waiting for the data that show there are more copies of ASM #300 than NM #98...

:whistle:

http://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/amazingspiderman.html

That's just the SOO. That doesn't show what I'm asking for.

Where's the data that show there are more copies of ASM #300 than NM #98...?

Here's some data:

Cap City orders:

ASM #300 - 42,900

NM #98 - 55,200

That is a substantial difference. Can we extrapolate? Yes. Yes, we can.

Weren't there more distributors handling ASM 300 than NM 98?

Not necessarily, but it doesn't matter.

The beauty of the Cap City numbers is that they are a representative slice of numbers for just about the entire Direct Market. The ratio wouldn't be substantially different between Diamond, or the other distributors. If orders for NM #98 was 30% higher than ASM #300 at Cap City, they'd be about that same ratio at Diamond, N.I.C.E., and others, regardless of the actual numbers.

Isn't the SOO the most complete source of print run/sale information available to us before the 90s?

Not at all. They represent averages. They tell us almost nothing except for one single issue closest to the filing date, and that may not necessarily by the "December issue."

And, we don't HAVE a SOO that covers New Mutants #98, so we must use some educated guesswork.

In any event...Spidey #300 wasn't from the "let's hoard 50 copies of everything the second it comes out" era...it was *just* prior to that era, and the Cap City numbers reflect that. Are they higher than #299 and #301? Yes.

#299 -36,300

#301 - 33,100

But, the book wasn't ordered in any extreme numbers, because McFarlane wasn't on anybody's radar at that point. The orders for #300 would have been due right around the time that Hulk #340 was out (32,200, by the way), which would have given the comics audience precisely one issue of "good" McFarlane art (Tec #578 notwithstanding) to decide if this guy was the next hot thing. Spidey had been in the doldrums for a while, and the year just prior to McFarlane was particularly undistinguished (Kraven and the fairly anti-climactic end of the Hobgoblin saga being the exceptions), and numbers weren't particularly good for the title.

In fact, it was ASM #300 which was the jolt that made the comic buying public stand up and take notice, and obviously it was too late to up the print run by that point.

On the other hand, NM #98 comes at the end of the run, and Liefeld has managed to drag the book up from Cap City numbers of 33-36k to numbers in the 50's and even the 60's (#97.) #98's, while a definite dip from #97, was still the 4th highest CC order of the Liefeld issues, behind #100, #97, and #96. Not crazy numbers; that would come later....but certainly substantially more than Amazing Spiderman from #298-324. In fact, only two issues of the ASM McFarlane run, #325 and #328, had Cap City order numbers higher than NM #98.

The only numbers we have for NM #98 are the Cap City numbers, and those show a figure nearly 30% higher than the order number for ASM #300. So...looking at Cap City, and the SOO printed in ASM #315 and NM #99, and extrapolating, we can reasonably conclude that the extant number of copies of ASM #300 is slightly lower than NM #98.

Good lord people, stop trying to apply logic and reason to what is (mostly) emotional decisions.

NM98 will sell for high prices as long as people perceive it has that, or higher, value.

Bubbles burst when perception of value decreases. Doesn't matter if it's stocks, houses or comics.

If, and when, WD and DP leave the public eye, they will go down. No one wants something when it's cold.

You DO realize that the last three sentences do precisely what you told everyone else NOT to do in the first sentence, right...?

lol

This is when I tend to remove things from my want list because I know ridiculous price hikes are coming. I currently have three or four books that I've stopped pursuing because of media news. I'll circle back around in six to twelve months and see what it looks like then.

Weren't there more distributors handling ASM 300 than NM 98?

Not necessarily, but it doesn't matter.

The beauty of the Cap City numbers is that they are a representative slice of numbers for just about the entire Direct Market. The ratio wouldn't be substantially different between Diamond, or the other distributors. If orders for NM #98 was 30% higher than ASM #300 at Cap City, they'd be about that same ratio at Diamond, N.I.C.E., and others, regardless of the actual numbers.

Sure, one would expect that the percentage change in orders from one issue of a title to the next would be approximately the same across the different distributors. However, if total distribution of issues that are years apart is spread out differently because of distributors going out of business or being acquired by others, what then?

For example, if the breakdowns were something like

ASM 300

Diamond 40%

Capital City 20%

Distributor A 10%

Distributor B 6%

Distributor C 7%

Distributor D 8%

Distributor E 4%

Distributor F 5%

NM 98

Diamond 50%

Capital City 30%

Distributor A 7%

Distributor C 7%

Distributor D 6%

then ASM 300 would be at 214500 and NM 98 would be at 184000 based on the Capital City orders.

Of course, there were more small distributors and those numbers aren't at all accurate, just illustrative of possible changes in North American distribution.

I have a two week old and it appears I have a lot to look forward to (or not)! :ohnoez:

Yes you do- so much growth and love. Congrats bro. I love reading about the little guys and girls and getting good advice. I've been up about 7 times tonight- Teething by far blows away any packed diaper. Seeing your little one cry every hour and you can't do anything about it Sucks!!! I know like anything, it will pass though.

A question I'm struggling with... the increase in price on these modern keys is attributed to the influx of new buyers. How many new buyers are willing to drop $1000 on a comic in their early collecting years? I'm a cheapskate, I still don't like spending $1000 on a book, but these new, young buyers are reportedly tossing big bucks around.

To the dealers: how long do you have to nurture a new customer before he's confident enough to spend 4-bills on one of your books? Do you have any customers you met as a kid who are now big spenders?

I do wish other dealers would chime in here..

New collectors will actually spend money in a fashion and in amounts that longer term collectors might think foolish. But you are correct, it is a rare new customer that comes in buying high dollar items. They might spend a lot of money, but my experience is they also want a lot of stuff (they are new, they have a lot of wants). Typically, it takes a while to warm up to the idea that a $1000 spent on one book is often a better investment than a $1000 spent on 500 books. It's an advance collector that recognizes the value of more desirable, much more expensive items.

There are exceptions and they make for interesting stories. I've thought about posting up one such recent story. Keep in mind these are exceptions. Bonhams (world's third largest auction house) had their first ever auction of comic books. Typically they are very high art and collectibles. Things like James Bond cars, ancient armor, art by the masters, vintage furniture.

Some comic lots did - well - very well. Seems some people in the crowd - art dealers that frequent Bonhams auctions - figured comics must be great if Bonhams is auctioning them. They had no comic book experience. Some maybe researched Heritage Auctions. Others just bid away. The bidding on the floor got spirited. Bidders online seemed to know better.

Hulk 181 in 9.8 sold for over $16K. The person buying it thought they were bagging a bargain because they saw that Heritage sold one for $26K....... Problem was that was 2009. Book has been selling for 9.5-11K the last couple of years. The buyer rather bummed upon learning the reality. It's OK though. He'll do really well on the raw lots he bought.

Meanwhile - an illustration of why GPA is only one pricing source and cannot be some sort of bible all by it'self - now people are listing Hulk 181's for the 90 day GPA average of $13,600 and noting the most recent sale of $16,250. Well, one person's big mistake doesn't make for a new trend.

Wouldn't this type of behavior support my point of view in our other discussion?

No, Not unless you think a couple of people that could affect books like WD 1 or NM 98. Both of which have very large numbers of NM+ copies.

There are 89 copies of Hulk 181 in 9.8. Maybe 15 copies sell a year. 3-4 every quarter. One rogue sale creates and immediate bubble in the 90 day average. It hardly affected the 12 month average, which remains below 11K.

Compare this to WD 1 (762 copies in 9.8 almost 100 copies sold past 12 months)

NM 98 (1692 copies in 9.8. Over 260 copies sold last 12 months, 73 past 90 days

A few newbies flashing cash can't make an impact on books with this kind of availability. It takes a herd of people. Those people are already collectors. Adding the books to their want list. Prices are going up - buzz is going around - and they want in. It's cool to own what others envy - and if prices are going up you can justify the expense.

You and I really only disagree in one area. You believe TV shows and movies bring in large numbers of new collectors looking for those books. Or at least you believe that is the case for WD. And that all these new collectors bring lots of money and send the prices upwards.

As a dealer like forever, I see almost none of that. I know lots of friends that watch the Walking Dead. Or loved the Avengers. Or Captain America. Or Thor. The women especially love Thor. And WD for that matter. They all know I have this weird business of buying and selling comic books. No one wants a comic book. No one wants to know what issue Michone first appears on. No one is interested in even reading the collected trades. Occasionally someone is interested to learn Rick is missing a hand or Daryl isn't a character in the comic. Or that Michone's hatred of the Governor in the comics made more sense and her retaliation much more brutal. But that's it. "Huh? Really?" But they still don't want the comics. "What about Beth. Can you believe they killed her off?! Poor Maggie"

You see the major WD stars in high demand at shows. Their VIP's sell out. Yes, comic book collectors go to them, but most are fans of the show and want a picture and autograph.

My experiences with fans of the WD show mirror yours; they don't want to borrow my GNs they could read for FREE, let alone buy any. I've seen others post in line with this sentiment. Until I start seeing folks posting some cases of people coming to the comics after starting with the show, I'm still going to be skeptical that this happens often enough to move the needle on something like WD #1.

A question I'm struggling with... the increase in price on these modern keys is attributed to the influx of new buyers. How many new buyers are willing to drop $1000 on a comic in their early collecting years? I'm a cheapskate, I still don't like spending $1000 on a book, but these new, young buyers are reportedly tossing big bucks around.

To the dealers: how long do you have to nurture a new customer before he's confident enough to spend 4-bills on one of your books? Do you have any customers you met as a kid who are now big spenders?

New collectors will actually spend money in a fashion and in amounts that longer term collectors might think foolish. But you are correct, it is a rare new customer that comes in buying high dollar items. They might spend a lot of money, but my experience is they also want a lot of stuff (they are new, they have a lot of wants). Typically, it takes a while to warm up to the idea that a $1000 spent on one book is often a better investment than a $1000 spent on 500 books. It's an advance collector that recognizes the value of more desirable, much more expensive items.

There are exceptions and they make for interesting stories. I've thought about posting up one such recent story. Keep in mind these are exceptions. Bonhams (world's third largest auction house) had their first ever auction of comic books. Typically they are very high art and collectibles. Things like James Bond cars, ancient armor, art by the masters, vintage furniture.

Some comic lots did - well - very well. Seems some people in the crowd - art dealers that frequent Bonhams auctions - figured comics must be great if Bonhams is auctioning them. They had no comic book experience. Some maybe researched Heritage Auctions. Others just bid away. The bidding on the floor got spirited. Bidders online seemed to know better.

Hulk 181 in 9.8 sold for over $16K. The person buying it thought they were bagging a bargain because they saw that Heritage sold one for $26K....... Problem was that was 2009. Book has been selling for 9.5-11K the last couple of years. The buyer rather bummed upon learning the reality. It's OK though. He'll do really well on the raw lots he bought.

Meanwhile - an illustration of why GPA is only one pricing source and cannot be some sort of bible all by it'self - now people are listing Hulk 181's for the 90 day GPA average of $13,600 and noting the most recent sale of $16,250. Well, one person's big mistake doesn't make for a new trend.

Wouldn't this type of behavior support my point of view in our other discussion?

No, Not unless you think a couple of people that could affect books like WD 1 or NM 98. Both of which have very large numbers of NM+ copies.

There are 89 copies of Hulk 181 in 9.8. Maybe 15 copies sell a year. 3-4 every quarter. One rogue sale creates and immediate bubble in the 90 day average. It hardly affected the 12 month average, which remains below 11K.

A few newbies flashing cash can't make an impact on books with this kind of availability. It takes a herd of people. Those people are already collectors. Adding the books to their want list. Prices are going up - buzz is going around - and they want in. It's cool to own what others envy - and if prices are going up you can justify the expense.

You and I really only disagree in one area. You believe TV shows and movies bring in large numbers of new collectors looking for those books. Or at least you believe that is the case for WD. And that all these new collectors bring lots of money and send the prices upwards.

As a dealer like forever, I see almost none of that. I know lots of friends that watch the Walking Dead. Or loved the Avengers. Or Captain America. Or Thor. The women especially love Thor. And WD for that matter. They all know I have this weird business of buying and selling comic books. No one wants a comic book. No one wants to know what issue Michone first appears on. No one is interested in even reading the collected trades. Occasionally someone is interested to learn Rick is missing a hand or Daryl isn't a character in the comic. Or that Michone's hatred of the Governor in the comics made more sense and her retaliation much more brutal. But that's it. "Huh? Really?" But they still don't want the comics. "What about Beth. Can you believe they killed her off?! Poor Maggie"

You see the major WD stars in high demand at shows. Their VIP's sell out. Yes, comic book collectors go to them, but most are fans of the show and want a picture and autograph.

My experiences with fans of the WD show mirror yours; they don't want to borrow my GNs they could read for FREE, let alone buy any. I've seen others post in line with this sentiment. Until I start seeing folks posting some cases of people coming to the comics after starting with the show, I'm still going to be skeptical that this happens often enough to move the needle on something like WD #1.

I wouldn't make the assumption that someone who buys Walking Dead 1 is always the same person that reads the comics.

I have a Journey into Mystery 83 and I have never read the series?

I also know plenty of people that own an AF 15 or TMNT 1 and they haven't and don't read comics. There are also plenty of business men/women who invest in high end NM keys that don't read comics as well.

While reading the books and buying them is definitely linked, it is not 100%.

Just like all people who read comics don't invest in expensive issues.

To the final point of the post, it is likely a combination of both readers and non-readers (lumping in show fans, investors, speculators and all else in this bucket) that is contributing to the rapid increase in price.

Edited by rfoiii

Well said! :applause:

I have a two week old and it appears I have a lot to look forward to (or not)! :ohnoez:

I've got one on the way (due in June). How do you like being a Dad so far? This will be my first.

Boy or girl?

Being a dad is awesome (exhausting the first 6-8 months, but awesome!

I've got one on the way (due in June). How do you like being a Dad so far? This will be my first.

Boy or girl?

Not sure yet. I'll find out next month. The anticipation is killing me!

I'm glad to hear from a lot of people that being a dad is worth it.

I regret to inform you, on behalf of the CGC Board Society, that your copy of Journey Into Mystery will now be confiscated for lack of interest in the title, and redistributed to a needy run collector... :D

I regret to inform you, on behalf of the CGC Board Society, that your copy of Journey Into Mystery will now be confiscated for lack of interest in the title, and redistributed to a needy run collector... :D

lol

No problem, the relocation fee and shipping cost is $2,500. Who should I send the bill and book to?

:gossip: it is on my "to read" list this year, but I have owned it for awhile. I like the modern title though. :shrug:

Good lord people, stop trying to apply logic and reason to what is (mostly) emotional decisions.

NM98 will sell for high prices as long as people perceive it has that, or higher, value.

Bubbles burst when perception of value decreases. Doesn't matter if it's stocks, houses or comics.

If, and when, WD and DP leave the public eye, they will go down. No one wants something when it's cold.

You DO realize that the last three sentences do precisely what you told everyone else NOT to do in the first sentence, right...?

lol

Of course!

Boy or girl?

Not sure yet. I'll find out next month. The anticipation is killing me!

I'm glad to hear from a lot of people that being a dad is worth it.

Being a dad is the best! Hard, hard work, but the best thing you'll ever be.

Here's a great piece of advice: You will find things that "work" for you, things that calm the baby down, stop him/her from crying, give you a little peace. Car ride, sound of running water, sound of the vacuum, certain song, etc.

Don't get used to it. They only last for a short period of time, then you have to find something else. It's your babies way of testing your sanity. Just when you get to counting on something, they pull the rug out from under ya.

Just keep fightin' the good fight! lol