• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

The other big factor (besides RDJ) that makes IM such a great movie property - made him a good comic book hero as well - is how believable Iron Man is. DARPA has been working on exoskelton suits for a decade. They even have some pretty good ones too. Soldiers would be able to carry hundreds of pounds, march farther and faster. The problem is power supply. The suits work great as long as plugged into the wall. Batteries weigh to much and don't last long enough. If DARPA could solve the power issue, they'd weaponize and put in the field these suits tomorrow.

The thing about Iron Man that always distracts me a little bit while reading the stories or watching the movies is trying to come up with a plausible explanation for his flight capabilities.

The ability to fly is science with just about every superhero that flies and doesn't have wings. It's only a little less with those that do have wings. Submariner and those tiny wings on his ankles? Even Superman and the yellow sun? The earliest comics as you know he jumped around, not flew.

In the comics and movies, it appears IM's light ability is a function of his "repulsor" beams/blasts. A type of Beamed Energy Propulsion. Something NASA continues to fund research into and already has a flavor of (Ion Propulsion) Right now, Ion propulsion currently generates enough thrust to be effective in outer space once free of earths gravity. BEP is viewed as the future of exploring outside our solar system, as it holds out the ability to offer vast increases in speed. Approaching theoretically the speed of light.

In the movies IM has clearly used the repuslor units in his hands to help control and steer.

The other big factor (besides RDJ) that makes IM such a great movie property - made him a good comic book hero as well - is how believable Iron Man is. DARPA has been working on exoskelton suits for a decade. They even have some pretty good ones too. Soldiers would be able to carry hundreds of pounds, march farther and faster. The problem is power supply. The suits work great as long as plugged into the wall. Batteries weigh to much and don't last long enough. If DARPA could solve the power issue, they'd weaponize and put in the field these suits tomorrow.

The thing about Iron Man that always distracts me a little bit while reading the stories or watching the movies is trying to come up with a plausible explanation for his flight capabilities.

The ability to fly is science with just about every superhero that flies and doesn't have wings. It's only a little less with those that do have wings. Submariner and those tiny wings on his ankles? Even Superman and the yellow sun? The earliest comics as you know he jumped around, not flew.

In the comics and movies, it appears IM's light ability is a function of his "repulsor" beams/blasts. A type of Beamed Energy Propulsion. Something NASA continues to fund research into and already has a flavor of (Ion Propulsion) Right now, Ion propulsion currently generates enough thrust to be effective in outer space once free of earths gravity. BEP is viewed as the future of exploring outside our solar system, as it holds out the ability to offer vast increases in speed. Approaching theoretically the speed of light.

In the movies IM has clearly used the repuslor units in his hands to help control and steer.

The characters who can fly because they can fly don't make me wonder about it - they can just fly. Since Iron Man flies via science it makes me think about it.

I always though Iron Man's repulsor tech was mostly just used to stabilize him, not to provide thrust or lift - anyway, as we've said, it all falls apart if you think about it for even a second, but it's all in good fun.

Once you start pulling on the thread of logic when it comes to superhero powers the whole thing unravels pretty quickly. Better to just leave it alone.

+1

Such a fine line between questioning logic and still having fun - and everyone's limits are different. Like SquareChaos said - when the character makes you think about *why* they are flying, it starts pulling you out. I try really hard not to think about it - but sometimes logic or science-based characters get so far out there, you can't help but be distracted by the stretches in belief (The third Batman flick TDKR is a really good example of that).

NM 98 is the ugliest and most convoluted cover for an expensive key that I have ever seen , I wouldn't pay cover price for it other than the fact its worth more, same for BA12 ,..and.... I think even I can draw a cover as good as that one , good thing that even hideous cover art does not affect these two modern keys and help burst the bubble.

Draw it up ... There's a Show us your personal artwork thread somewhere ...

It is a terribly ugly book.

But when I think of characters that cross generations and have a large number of fans outside comic hobbyists, I think: Wolverine, Punisher, Deadpool, Harley Quinn.

Obviously, I'm ignoring all the Marvel "bigs."

Remember when Wolverine was in every single damn comic on the shelves? That's been Deadpool for a while now. And Punisher was all over the place. They are massively popular. How many people do you see on the street wearing Punisher shirts? I think loads of people who aren't comic collectors and hardly comic readers love those characters. And I think those first appearances will retain and increase in value.

As to the Marvel bigs, I think there are many more fans interested in owning Wolverine's first comic appearance than, say, Spidey's.

And yes, this is utter conjecture on my part.

10 months is only a thread resuscitation, not quite to the level of resurrection. Like a thread coma patient that woke up

Actually, I think this thread has herpes, and this is just a new outbreak.

The Herp sounds about right for this one. It goes dormant for a while and then something causes a flare-up

But when I think of characters that cross generations and have a large number of fans outside comic hobbyists, I think: Wolverine, Punisher, Deadpool, Harley Quinn.

Remember when Wolverine was in every single damn comic on the shelves? That's been Deadpool for a while now. And Punisher was all over the place. They are massively popular. How many people do you see on the street wearing Punisher shirts? I think loads of people who aren't comic collectors and hardly comic readers love those characters. And I think those first appearances will retain and increase in value.

As to the Marvel bigs, I think there are many more fans interested in owning Wolverine's first comic appearance than, say, Spidey's.

None. What streets you been walkin down?

Makes perfect sense though. I love me some Scar Jo and the Avengers movies were entertaining, so I am definitely going to go buy the first appearance of Black Widow. I don't read comics at all, but it will be cool to own!... That way when I have parties I can take it out and show people and be like: "look, this is the first appearance of the character that Scar Jo (I do love her) played in Avengers in a comic book!" Then people will be like; "wow, we don't read comics either but that is really cool and a definite wise use of your money because even though no one reads comics anymore this is definitely a good investment! You are so smart!" And I will be like "word."

None. What streets you been walkin down?

Makes perfect sense though. I love me some Scar Jo and the Avengers movies were entertaining, so I am definitely going to go buy the first appearance of Black Widow. I don't read comics at all, but it will be cool to own!... That way when I have parties I can take it out and show people and be like: "look, this is the first appearance of the character that Scar Jo (I do love her) played in Avengers in a comic book!" Then people will be like; "wow, we don't read comics either but that is really cool and a definite wise use of your money because even though no one reads comics anymore this is definitely a good investment! You are so smart!" And I will be like "word."

Well, that's a misnomer.