• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Sorry if someone's made this observation already but over 8000 copies of Hulk #181’s on the census vs 9500 copies of NM #98’s. 1500 books is not such a huge gap when talking about multi thousands. Point being, if Hulk #181 is still strong after all these years... why not NM #98’s?

Quantity is all relative to demand of course. Deadpool may not be for us old timers but as long as enough younger collectors like him, NM #98 will be the Hulk #181 of the modern era.

Tastes can, and probably will change over time but personally, I'd short books like Ms Marvel or She Hulk or Night Wing or Cyborg before Deadpool.

130,000 people attended SDCC last year. That's a small percentage of all con-goers traveling to various hometown cons year round. Is 9500 copies a lot, in relation to other books that are on the census? Yeah.

Can you really say it's a lot when considering how many people are into comic collecting, whether fringe collectors or serious? I don't think so.

Your example isn't logically sound.

It is a lot. Realistically it is a hugely massive number of CGC copies (not to mention it has been substantiated that there are over 200,000 surviving copies in total). Many of which are in individuals collections being slabbed and/or sold raw a copy at a time to maximize profits (there are numerous testimonies of long boxes full of this comic all over the place). This means that the supply is being purposefully limited to manage demand and increase/maintain market pricing. It is hard to say what will happen once the majority of copies are actually in the traded market.

To your point, not every person who attends comic con or a "pop-culture" fan is a Deadpool fan, nor is every person who attends these (even if they are a Deadpool fan) looking for a copy of NM98. Very few people (and I do mean very few) actually have enough money for a $750+ comic book - it seems like otherwise on here but economically speaking that is a large amount of money to >70% of the population of the US and >90% of the population of the world.

That said, based on market dynamics, there is enough demand at current to sustain pricing. There is no practical way to determine how many copies are owned by dealers, speculators, profiteers, collectors or other (i.e. the distribution of who owns these books is important as owners other than comic dealers and collectors are the only ones who would own the book outside of the ability to make large profits - meaning speculators/profiteers/casual dealer/flipper/etc will dump the book in market the second prices start to fall below their target investment level). While there are popular movies being produced all of these people will continue buying/selling the book, but once the media train stops (and it will, it may be 10-20 years from now but it will) all that will be left are dealers and collectors. When you combine that action with the true supply hitting the market, we will then see if the demand still outpaces supply.

Which really is the point here, many people are buying this book assuming that the current run-up in pricing indicates that it is a solid "investment" long-term and that huge gains are still possible. This is a very risky assumption given the points above - and pause for consideration. At current the NM98 market is still in its infancy and there is a lot still to happen that will determine its long-term value beyond the soap-box preachers touting the movie popularity.

You guys are missing my point. No one is saying that 9500 books isn't a lot but it's relative to the demand. A rare book that no body wants is basically worthless. My evidence is the Hulk #181 with 8000 books on record, which is also a lot of books, and yet, it is considered to be the BA grail. By this example, why can't NM #98 be the new modern grail?

Also, newer collectors have less connection to older books. So as long as the collecting continuum can be maintained, I'd rather bank on the NM#98 over some old book that only an aging baby boomer can appreciate. Because once the baby boomers are gone, who's gonna pick up those platinum books?

Sorry if someone's made this observation already but over 8000 copies of Hulk #181’s on the census vs 9500 copies of NM #98’s. 1500 books is not such a huge gap when talking about multi thousands. Point being, if Hulk #181 is still strong after all these years... why not NM #98’s?

Quantity is all relative to demand of course. Deadpool may not be for us old timers but as long as enough younger collectors like him, NM #98 will be the Hulk #181 of the modern era.

Tastes can, and probably will change over time but personally, I'd short books like Ms Marvel or She Hulk or Night Wing or Cyborg before Deadpool.

130,000 people attended SDCC last year. That's a small percentage of all con-goers traveling to various hometown cons year round. Is 9500 copies a lot, in relation to other books that are on the census? Yeah.

Can you really say it's a lot when considering how many people are into comic collecting, whether fringe collectors or serious? I don't think so.

It is a lot. Realistically it is a hugely massive number of CGC copies (not to mention it has been substantiated that there are over 200,000 surviving copies in total). Many of which are in individuals collections being slabbed and/or sold raw a copy at a time to maximize profits (there are numerous testimonies of long boxes full of this comic all over the place). This means that the supply is being purposefully limited to manage demand and increase/maintain market pricing. It is hard to say what will happen once the majority of copies are actually in the traded market.

To your point, not every person who attends comic con or a "pop-culture" fan is a Deadpool fan, nor is every person who attends these (even if they are a Deadpool fan) looking for a copy of NM98. Very few people (and I do mean very few) actually have enough money for a $750+ comic book - it seems like otherwise on here but economically speaking that is a large amount of money to >70% of the population of the US and >90% of the population of the world.

That said, based on market dynamics, there is enough demand at current to sustain pricing. There is no practical way to determine how many copies are owned by dealers, speculators, profiteers, collectors or other (i.e. the distribution of who owns these books is important as owners other than comic dealers and collectors are the only ones who would own the book outside of the ability to make large profits - meaning speculators/profiteers/casual dealer/flipper/etc will dump the book in market the second prices start to fall below their target investment level). While there are popular movies being produced all of these people will continue buying/selling the book, but once the media train stops (and it will, it may be 10-20 years from now but it will) all that will be left are dealers and collectors. When you combine that action with the true supply hitting the market, we will then see if the demand still outpaces supply.

Which really is the point here, many people are buying this book assuming that the current run-up in pricing indicates that it is a solid "investment" long-term and that huge gains are still possible. This is a very risky assumption given the points above - and pause for consideration. At current the NM98 market is still in its infancy and there is a lot still to happen that will determine its long-term value beyond the soap-box preachers touting the movie popularity.

You guys are missing my point. No one is saying that 9500 books isn't a lot but it's relative to the demand. A rare book that no body wants is basically worthless. My evidence is the Hulk #181 with 8000 books on record, which is also a lot of books, and yet, it is considered to be the BA grail. By this example, why can't NM #98 be the new modern grail?

Also, newer collectors have less connection to older books. So as long as the collecting continuum can be maintained, I'd rather bank on the NM#98 over some old book that only an aging baby boomer can appreciate. Because once the baby boomers are gone, who's gonna pick up those platinum books?

I am not missing your point. You are just mixing apples and oranges while talking bananas.

- Nothing is valuable forever (all things go in and out of popularity).

- When you compare something there are always differences and you tend to choose the ones to prove your point and don't truly factor in all related circumstances (in this instance you use IH181 and Platinum era books - both of which are very different).

- You cited a small portion of semi-relevant data and are jumping to conclusions that aren't wholly supported by the provided data.

NM98 might be a modern Grail, but there is far more to the equation that CGCd copies and SDCC attendance numbers.

FYI - Baby Boomers have all the money in the country right now and will for another 20 years. Once they go into full fixed income mode the market will undoubtedly change.

:shrug:

I am not missing your point. You are just mixing apples and oranges while talking bananas.

- When you compare something there are always differences and you tend to choose the ones to prove your point and don't truly factor in all related circumstances (in this instance you use IH181 and Platinum era books - both of which are very different).

- You cited a small portion of semi-relevant data and are jumping to conclusions that aren't wholly supported by the provided data.

NM98 might be a modern Grail, but there is far more to the equation that CGCd copies and SDCC attendance numbers.

FYI - Baby Boomers have all the money in the country right now and will for another 20 years. Once they go into full fixed income mode the market will undoubtedly change.

I'm not in disagreement with your point. Obviously the BB are gonna have a great impact on the market and I clearly state that things can change. But all we can do cite the very little data that we have since much of this is anecdotal any ways. With a lack of hard evidence, Isn't that basically what everyone does...? I'm simply trying to offer my perspective, relative to Hulk #181. No, they are NOT the same books, nor is the current collecting climate... all of which is obvious and a given, but it is still a point of reference worth consideration. No body here can predict the future but I think we can still have a discussion.

My position is that I don't think that NM #98 is in a "Deadpool" bubble. In fact, GPA shows that this book has leveled out which I think is a good thing. However, there may be an over arching "comic" bubble considering how strong the market has been since 2012. So if the market crashes, all books will probably tumble, including Deadpool... but not because of anything to do with NM #98 specifically.

Other than stating the obvious that all fruit is not the same, what's your postion and why? It's easy to knock people down but I'd like to hear you actually try and build something of your own.

I'm not in disagreement with your point. Obviously the BB are gonna have a great impact on the market and I clearly state that things can change. But all we can do cite the very little data that we have since much of this is anecdotal any ways. With a lack of hard evidence, Isn't that basically what everyone does...? I'm simply trying to offer my perspective, relative to Hulk #181. No, they are NOT the same books, nor is the current collecting climate... all of which is obvious and a given, but it is still a point of reference worth consideration. No body here can predict the future but I think we can still have a discussion.

My position is that I don't think that NM #98 is in a "Deadpool" bubble. In fact, GPA shows that this book has leveled out which I think is a good thing. However, there may be an over arching "comic" bubble considering how strong the market has been since 2012. So if the market crashes, all books will probably tumble, including Deadpool... but not because of anything to do with NM #98 specifically.

Other than stating the obvious that all fruit is not the same, what's your postion and why? It's easy to knock people down but I'd like to hear you actually try and build something of your own.

Fair enough.

My personal opinion is that the price of this book is still at current over-inflated due to five factors:

1) market pricing is being manipulated due to supply being held back across the board (i.e. individuals own multiple multiple copies of this book and only release a single copy at a time to maximize sale - this has been posted here for years and there are numerous cited examples recently in Deadpool/NM98 threads). This enables sellers to also maintain the false appearance and claims of "rarity" that drive purchase behavior ("rare" availability triggers an implied ability to hold value longer) when in fact there is an vast abundance of supply.

2) I would argue that the GPA price leveling is indicative of a supply curve that is about to outpace a demand curve and we will see downward pricing pressure as a result. This may make people "lock-up" their copies again, or not. However, if the popularity/demand is so strong and the supply was fixed - we would see more growth.

3) Deadpool's popularity is rising (has been for some time) but the value of NM 98 is caught up in the "movie boom" speculative nature of the hobby and because of its relative low cost of entry (versus other key first appearances) and the fact that it is a "newer/modern" character it is disproportionately being flipped consistently by internet and collectibles profiteers (people who purchase items for the sole purpose of turning a profit but are not consistently comic dealers - eBay created a forum for these people to thrive outside of local flee markets, it is a rapidly growing industry in general)

4) people who have enough cash to purchase this book are not the children who "love" the comic as cited here multiple times (ad nauseam) - they are adults. Given the relative recent popularity of the character, there hasn't been sufficient time for current adults to have "loved" the character throughout their childhood en masse and grown into fans as adults (sure there are some, but it takes generations to build character staying power and significant cultural following) meaning it is largely being purchased and resold not by collectors, but speculators (people who have no long term interest in the character or the book and will bail once popularity shifts to another character, genre or something new entirely)

5) DC and Marvel have done a very poor job of tying the success of their movie world to new comic sales and that bodes poorly for the future of the hobby - however, this is not securely a NM98 problem - however, given the large supply of this book it is at greater risk when the bottom drops out

I don't think this book is going to drop overnight and there is no denying that Deadpool has become a popular character - but there are many factors beyond recent movie successes that will impact the value of NM98 long-term.

:gossip: I know points 3 & 4 are similar.

Edited by rfoiii

All valid points, but I think you could make the same argument for many other books. Going back to my example of Hulk#181

1. Price manipulation... YES. I myself are hoarding several Hulk #181’s as I am NM #98’s. Check.

2. GPA. Hulk #181’s seems to also have leveled out since last November at most grades. Check.

3. Popularity. I'd say Wolverine is way over saturated. He's been on every team, tons of mini series and pretty much everyone on the street know of him. Still, the Hulk #181 is one of the most frequently traded books and pretty close to Deadpool numbers on the census.

4. Agreed. The average kid can't afford a decent copy of NM#98 or Hulk#181. The people hoarding and flipping these are probably people like me. Just old enough to have saved enough money, but young enough to have an appreciation. Still, the buyers and sellers seem to have singled out NM#98 so it's hard to discount that Deadpool does have some kind of mass appeal. Otherwise, why not Gambit, Cable or Bishop from the same era.

5. Agreed. DC and Marvel basically cater to people like me who are nostalgic about comics. New comics in Toronto are over $5. What kid, whose parents aren't wealthy lawyers can afford this price tag. Also, the stories are geared toward adults, because again, we're the audience. DC and Marvel don't have a succession plan. Considering macro trends like the decline of print, flat salaries, iPads, video games, higher cost of production, higher cost of paper, lower birth rate, people reading less... I'm not sure that a succession plan even exists. So the publishers have no choice but to rely on gimmicks in order to survive.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you except that I don't see how Hulk #181 is any different then NM #98 from an investment point of view. Sometimes the hype can be self fulfilling. Many people want a Hulk #181 just for the sake of owning one and I see this happening with Deadpool.

I think we are in another speculation bubble. Comics have never been this good since the 1980’s. Because of the movies, every peripheral collector is jumping on the band wagon. They all want high yield so they've pumped up junk keys from the dollar bins. If and when the market tumbles, it wont be because of just Deadpool. It will be people trying to cash in on Nightwing, Cyborg and all those variants... etc. en masse. If that sounds familiar, that's because its all happened before.

Can't believe FF#52 is outpacing FF#48 these days. Nothing wrong with Black Panther... but to high, to quick. All you and I are doing is forecasting the weather based on todays trends. We'll have to see how it all pans out.

Good discussion, and good luck.

It probably doesn't help that it may be one of the single ugliest/stupidest comic book covers ever seen.

I agree. There is nothing that I love on the cover! For me, its really just a book to flip

I used to feel that way, but after flipping a few copies I started to look at it more closely....... and I've actually started to like it.... especially the color scheme. If one were to hypothetically chart it's future growth, comparisons to IH 181's performance would probably not be a good parallel, however. A better choice might be FF 48, due to it's availability. Personally, too much focus on a book's "potential" is fatiguing to me. I also try to avoid denigrating the material that others love.... but rather prefer to celebrate the joy that this hobby can bring to each of us..... call me a sap. Let a brotha' love what he will ..... I mean, what difference does it really make whether it was astute or a stupid ? If it makes one happy and doesn't jeopardize those one loves (shrug) Fill a short box full of them if you can .... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

It probably doesn't help that it may be one of the single ugliest/stupidest comic book covers ever seen.

I agree. There is nothing that I love on the cover! For me, its really just a book to flip

I used to feel that way, but after flipping a few copies I started to look at it more closely....... and I've actually started to like it.... especially the color scheme. If one were to hypothetically chart it's future growth, comparisons to IH 181's performance would probably not be a good parallel, however. A better choice might be FF 48, due to it's availability. Personally, too much focus on a book's "potential" is fatiguing to me. I also try to avoid denigrating the material that others love.... but rather prefer to celebrate the joy that this hobby can bring to each of us..... call me a sap. Let a brotha' love what he will ..... I mean, what difference does it really make whether it was astute or a stupid ? If it makes one happy and doesn't jeopardize those one loves (shrug) Fill a short box full of them if you can .... GOD BLESS...

I'm all for loving these books but investments should be made with the mind, not the heart. Putting money into something just out of love is a recipe for financial disaster.

I'm all for loving these books but investments should be made with the mind, not the heart. Putting money into something just out of love is a recipe for financial disaster.

..... compartmentalize, my friend....... disposable income only..... if there really is such a thing. GOD BLESS...

Yes this is Deadpool's first appearance. but we know cover art does count, Classic covers get CGC notations on the label and are more valuable. PCH has no first appearance keys but the most valuable are due to the cover art.

It stands that truly bad cover art can be detrimental long term.

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

:makepoint:

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

Does this apply to Harley too?

Deadpool and Harley aren't the new Batman... not yet, nowhere close and not for a long time.

Deadpool should be closer compared to Punisher. One might say NM 98 is the new ASM 129.

it's not going anywhere and will be viewed as a key in the same light

It applies to her in a different way. Harley has been and is still largely a supporting character with her popularity mostly driven by her sex appeal and the misogynistic tendencies of comic books and pop culture fandom. She is popular with woman because she is viewed as "sexy and strong" while fantasized about by men because she is "sexy, submissive, embodies BDSM in comic form and the epitome of girl cosplay." She is a modern pin-up girl and idolized because of her physical characteristics and sexual innuendo.

Only recently have her new incarnations and individual titles given her some breadth outside of her traditional role as Joker's *spoon*. Which is a good thing, but hardly old enough yet to garner true support for her character beyond the afore mentioned characteristics rooted in her origin.

We will see what happens with her if she continues to "break the mold" of her roots. At current she hasn't proven to be a well-rounded character, but rather embodies the "sexy" characteristics and masochism of a partial character. Sex symbols are consistently replaced with the shifting of popular culture, so to have long-term staying power she will have to become a well-rounded character.

Edited by rfoiii

:gossip:

He is in the club now.

The Deadpool movie just passed the last Spider-Man movie domestically, and destroyed the two Wolverine movies at the box office.

Deadpool is going up,while the others other than Batman are going down.

Similar to The Walking Dead is more popular than George Romero`s Night of the Living Dead now.

The new generation loves this character Deadpool just like they love the Walking Dead.

Deadpool is a rising ship.

Wait until Deadpool 2.

:gossip:

He is in the club now.

The Deadpool movie just passed the last Spider-Man movie domestically, and destroyed the two Wolverine movies at the box office.

Deadpool is going up,while the others other than Batman are going down.

Similar to The Walking Dead is more popular than George Romero`s Night of the Living Dead now.

The new generation loves this character Deadpool just like they love the Walking Dead.

Deadpool is a rising ship.

Wait until Deadpool 2.

This is ludicrous and doesn't even deserve a reasonable response.

Sorry, but you are living in crazy town of you really believe this.

The Suicide Squad movie will put her on the map.

Harley has much more upside than let`s say Wonder Woman. :o

I look at the upward trends and most of the younger generation thinks Harley is cooler than Wonder Woman by a mile!

The old traditionalists will tell us how cool Wonder Women is,but we all know Harley is way more interesting!

Things change.

Tarzan at one time was more popular than Wolverine.

Buck Rogers at one time was more popular than Star Wars.

Fantastic Four at one time was more popular than Deadpool.

Harley and Deadpool lots of upside!

:cloud9: