• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

No Star Trek shows on TV right now but Star Trek #1 is still worth a bit of money. After a show gets cancelled, it could always come back or if it takes on a iconic status, the "brand" may live on in merchandising... including comics.

---

other than a dead spot in the 70s and i guess 2006-2008, star trek has been pumping out movies and/or tv shows forever. there was a star trek TV show in one form or another from 1987 - 2005 and the movies came out every 2 or 3 years like clockwork from 1979 - 2002.

Yes... exactly my point. It's too early to declare Deadpool or Walking Dead is gonna tank. Star Trek was cancelled after just 3 seasons but came back years later. What season are we at with Walking Dead...? Everytime historical precedence is referenced... the conversation suddenly shifts toward apples, bannanas and avacados. Fruit fixation aside, it is possible for new ideas to stick. And if the naysayers can at least agree up to that point, why not Deadpool or Walking Dead?

The original conversation was around NM98 and its value (i.e. when the bubble will pop or not).

If you extend the conversation does that character have the ability (like Star Trek) to stick around. My thought would be probably not with Deadpool given the reasons I stated above.

If you are talking Walking Dead my answer would be "potentially." However, this also doesn't necessarily mean WD 1 will always be >$1,500 book (different discussion for a different thread).

The reason the "fruit" argument keeps being put forward is because you (and others) keep shifting the conversation around the original intent to garner support around a loosely formed: "what if" scenario or "its popular so why not" scenario.

Comparing moderately popular and relatively recently created characters/series to the time-tested huge success stories of the hobby isn't a strong argument because of a "they did it, so why not" argument. Particularly when there isn't anything connecting the two other than their delivered medium (TV show or comic).

:shrug:

Your position is completely garnered in hope. Which is fine for a collector, bad for an investor (which is what the thread is mostly about discussing).

Edited by rfoiii

just to clarify, the half a million digests is among their top 7 or 8 or so digest titles combined. i think they are doing like 50-80K a month per title. were around 100K like 5 years ago.

just to clarify, the half a million digests is among their top 7 or 8 or so digest titles combined. i think they are doing like 50-80K a month per title. were around 100K like 5 years ago.

So it is a strong seller by today's standards and their decline is online with other comic sales decline. Correct?

No Star Trek shows on TV right now but Star Trek #1 is still worth a bit of money. After a show gets cancelled, it could always come back or if it takes on a iconic status, the "brand" may live on in merchandising... including comics.

---

other than a dead spot in the 70s and i guess 2006-2008, star trek has been pumping out movies and/or tv shows forever. there was a star trek TV show in one form or another from 1987 - 2005 and the movies came out every 2 or 3 years like clockwork from 1979 - 2002.

Yes... exactly my point. It's too early to declare Deadpool or Walking Dead is gonna tank. Star Trek was cancelled after just 3 seasons but came back years later. What season are we at with Walking Dead...? Everytime historical precedence is referenced... the conversation suddenly shifts toward apples, bannanas and avacados. Fruit fixation aside, it is possible for new ideas to stick. And if the naysayers can at least agree up to that point, why not Deadpool or Walking Dead?

The original conversation was around NM98 and its value (i.e. when the bubble will pop or not).

If you extend the conversation does that character have the ability (like Star Trek) to stick around. My thought would be probably not with Deadpool given the reasons I stated above.

If you are talking Walking Dead my answer would be "potentially." However, this also doesn't necessarily mean WD 1 will always be >$1,500 book (different discussion for a different thread).

The reason the "fruit" argument keeps being put forward is because you (and others) keep shifting the conversation around the original intent to garner support around a loosely formed: "what if" scenario or "its popular so why not" scenario.

Comparing moderately popular and relatively recently created characters/series to the time-tested huge success stories of the hobby isn't a strong argument because of a "they did it, so why not" argument. Particularly when there isn't anything connecting the two other than their delivered medium (TV show or comic).

Your position is completely garnered in hope. Which is fine for a collector, bad for an investor (which is what the thread is mostly about discussing).

Again, no argument here. That's why it's call "speculation". It's all based on "hope". I'm hoping it continues to rise and you're hoping that it falls. Even if your logic was more sound, popular taste doesn't follow logic.

The main difference between you and I is that I recognize that it could go either way. Unless you've got some sort of magic crystal ball, it's all just a guess. Might as well flip a coin...

---

Again, no argument here. That's why it's call "speculation". It's all based on "hope". I'm hoping it continues to rise and you're hoping that it falls. Even if your logic was more sound, popular taste doesn't follow logic.

The main difference between you and I is that I recognize that it could go either way. Unless you've got some sort of magic crystal ball, it's all just a guess. Might as well flip a coin...

No, the main difference is all you cite is unsubstantiated levels of popularity and hope. I am giving reasons as why it may not happen that are either rooted in data or analysis of the story and/or character.

FYI - I am not hoping it will fail. I am just applying reason as the purpose is not to "hope" about anything when it comes to dollars and cents.

Edited by rfoiii

i think rarity speaks volumes.

with the walking dead a cgc high graded copy will always command a premium. there are a very few copies out there and a huge fanbase. in 30 years it will be commanding huge money just like AF 15.

Dead pool's 1st appearance will be less expensive because there are 100's of thousands of copies in great shape out there. Walking Dead's print run. mere thousands. You will always be good to invest in high grade keys. there's nothing more key for this generation than. spider-man. TMNT. (also with a tiny print run of mere thousands) and the walking dead. when the big money boys go after high grade keys of this generation--watch out!

with the walking dead a cgc high graded copy will always command a premium. there are a very few copies out there and a huge fanbase. in 30 years it will be commanding huge money just like AF 15.

Dead pool's 1st appearance will be less expensive because there are 100's of thousands of copies in great shape out there. Walking Dead's print run. mere thousands. You will always be good to invest in high grade keys. there's nothing more key for this generation than. spider-man. TMNT. (also with a tiny print run of mere thousands) and the walking dead. when the big money boys go after high grade keys of this generation--watch out!

Again, this is a poor comparison.

The Walking Dead's following is not a bunch of children, it is mainly young adults and adults. There aren't generations of children loving these characters through their youth, growing into adulthood remembering them fondly and then looking to recapture a piece of their youth with a high value comic investment. AF15 is worth what it is because Spiderman has been capturing the hearts and minds of children for decades...

Walking Dead is the most popular it has ever been (according to TV ratings) and the sale price of that book has stalled. Once it is off the air there isn't a generation of children turning into adults 20 years from now looking to recapture their youth. Once it is off TV for a few years and is not re-envisioned or made into movies, WD1 will lose steam to cater to only the comic collectors and perhaps a small number of diehard fans (however, they have many other things to purchase to remember the series outside of a comic book). Again, this is after it fades (which will eventually happen).

Edited by rfoiii

The Walking Dead's following is not a bunch of children, it is mainly young adults and adults. There aren't generations of children loving these characters through their youth, growing into adulthood remembering them fondly and then looking to recapture a piece of their youth with a high value comic investment. AF15 is worth what it is because Spiderman has been capturing the hearts and minds of children for decades...

Walking Dead is the most popular it has ever been (according to TV ratings) and the sale price of that book has stalled. Once it is off the air there isn't a generation of children turning into adults 20 years from now looking to recapture their youth. Once it is off TV for a few years and is not re-envisioned or made into movies, WD1 will lose steam to cater to only the comic collectors and perhaps a small number of diehard fans (however, they have many other things to purchase to remember the series outside of a comic book). Again, this is after it fades (which will eventually happen).

The fact that there has never been a most successful TV series based on a comic book like WD and a low print run just leaves uncharted waters for predictions. Based on what could one say what happens to the biggest success? Its never happened before!

The fact that there has never been a most successful TV series based on a comic book like WD and a low print run just leaves uncharted waters for predictions. Based on what could one say what happens to the biggest success? Its never happened before!

Sure, uncharted waters. But where do all the new buyers come from once it is off the air and the current speculators and viewers exit? Just the comic collectors right?

It took a major television series to drive the value to where it is with current readers and the adult viewers. In 20-30 years those adults will be mostly on their way out of the market. Who will buy it then?

Rationally speaking if you view other valuable properties that have retained value over time it is due to renewed fandom for decades. So if Walking Dead gets reimagined 20 times like Star Trek, then maybe. However we are still assuming that people connect the show back to the comic and that is also a big if (currently it appears that ~13 million viewers, which is very large, only equals ~$1,800-$2,000 for Walking Dead 1 - holding steady for 2 years and counting).

I am not saying the comic will drop tomorrow, but reasonably it has huge hurdles that many other equally popular shows/characters have failed to hurdle.

Edited by rfoiii

Marion Ross was a fox and Tom Bosley could drink The Fonz under the table.

Now that I am a parent I guess I identify with different characters than I did during the series run!

Archie is hugely popular with kids these days? Am I that out of touch?

My 14 year old daughter loves Archie. I thought the new Archie would turn her off, but I feel like this change happened at just the right time for her, because she has told me she thinks the new Archie is even better than the old Archie.

Archie, if done right, is one of those franchises that can and has transcended generations. And it has done so, not with a hit movie, but just by being what it is, an entertaining and relevant comic book that appeals to the tween crowd. It is like Star Wars, it keeps reinventing itself to appeal to a new generation.

If you think about it, Marvel and DC are similar. They keep reinventing themselves to remain relevant. Some of us old timers may not like the new stuff being published, but there must be someone who does.

As for Deadpool, this is what Lobo would have been if he was in a movie at the height of his popularity. I get it. But, like someone has said, Deadpool is most likely not going to achieve Wolverine or Spider-Man status. The very thing that makes the character appealing will work against it because writers and Marvel/Disney won't be able to let the character grow beyond what he is. In many ways, the comparison to the Punisher is apt. And to be honest, that is not bad company for the character to end up in, because the Punisher, years after the character has seen his peak in popularity, is still a fan favorite.

So it is a strong seller by today's standards and their decline is online with other comic sales decline. Correct?

Pretty much. (thumbs u

I posted this before. A lot of people don't realize, Walking Dead is very popular among kids.

For example The finale for season 4 was second only behind the Kids Choice Awards on the "Tops on Twitter" Nelson rating and the show was number 1 last season (now season 5) among the age groups of 9-14. 2nd was the Disney Channel's Dog with a Blog.

Also number 1 among ages 12-34

http://www.wetpaint.com/most-popular-show-young-viewers-798618/

Kind of crazy if you really think about it.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/31/the-walking-dead-finale-twitter-kids-choice/#8hkUNRjGpEqB

(Here's one of the links that still works)

Edited by Rip

I posted this before. A lot of people don't realize, Walking Dead is very popular among kids.

For example The finale for season 4 was second only behind the Kids Choice Awards on the "Tops on Twitter" Nelson rating and the show was number 1 last season (now season 5) among the age groups of 9-14. 2nd was the Disney Channel's Dog with a Blog.

Also number 1 among ages 12-34

http://www.wetpaint.com/most-popular-show-young-viewers-798618/

Kind of crazy if you really think about it.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/31/the-walking-dead-finale-twitter-kids-choice/#8hkUNRjGpEqB

(Here's one of the links that still works)

Dude, the first article lumps together 12-34 year olds and does not delineate between them at all. Then at the end of the article they speculate on the age of people watching the show because they cannot separate them. This is hardly strong evidence to show that parents are really letting their 12 year olds watch walking dead. Not to mention the inherent flaw in the Nielsen reporting structure (which you have to be 18 to participate) and families are reported as a whole when a show is watched because you cannot delineate who is actually physically watching a show, they only record that a show was watched at the house (the details are poorly collected by a household "diary").

The second article just records tweets and that when the Kids Choice Awards were on that Walking Dead fell to second. However again there isn't any delineation on who owns the accounts that normally tweet about the Walking Dead or any analysis to show that people under 18 make up any amount of significant population. There isn't cited trend data to represent ongoing Walking Dead tweets and if there was a drop and how much of a drop versus normal. It isn't a complete analysis to support the conclusion, just cherry-picked anecdotal data for the article. If anything the two small data sets show the opposite when the Oscars clearly topped the Twitter charts by a landslide versus the Kids Choice awards:

2014 Walking Dead Season Finale

Kids Choice Awards: 2.1 million tweets

Walking Dead: 1 million tweets

2014 Episode of Walking Dead

Oscars: 11.2 million tweets

Walking Dead: 439 thousand tweets

EDIT: FYI - it appears that Walking Dead averaged 480 thousand tweets per episode.... Making the data in the second article irrelevant in reference to age of viewers. All the data shows is that the finale had a spike on Twitter (duh) and that kids tweeted excessively about the Kids Choice Awards. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/01/walking-dead-twitter

I can see how you can want to draw these conclusions, but due to the age groups and way the data is collected - you cannot 100% conclude that the show is popular with an abundance of minors (I am sure there are some whose parents let them watch the show). Even the articles themselves on speculate as to the real age of the viewers.

I appreciate the information provided, but it is hardly concrete evidence to support kids are big Walking Dead fans (again, I am sure some parents let this happen). Nor is it proof that this show will have the same lasting impact on them that Spiderman or other superheroes historically have needed to sustain comic prices in 20-30 years...

FYI - according to Twitter policy the minimum age to join is 13 and if children under that join their accounts are removed. So there can't be statistics for ages 9-14...

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/social-media-minimum-age/501920

Edited by rfoiii

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

:makepoint:

Does this apply to Harley too?

The Suicide Squad movie will put her on the map.

Harley has much more upside than let`s say Wonder Woman. :o

I look at the upward trends and most of the younger generation thinks Harley is cooler than Wonder Woman by a mile!

The old traditionalists will tell us how cool Wonder Women is,but we all know Harley is way more interesting!

Things change.

Tarzan at one time was more popular than Wolverine.

Buck Rogers at one time was more popular than Star Wars.

Fantastic Four at one time was more popular than Deadpool.

Harley and Deadpool lots of upside!

:cloud9:

Insightful. About as insightful as horses at one time being a more popular form of transportation than cars. The M*A*S*H* finale is still the recordholder for most watched TV show (barring Super Bowls) in history, with 105 million viewers and 60% of households tuning in (approximately). This should make it likely to sell more comics than WD. Like 30 times more if viewership has that strong a correlation in your other examples. Cheers was also huge, with the second highest rating ever for its final episode. Where is the long term Cheers bump?

Cheers is deader than Mash.

There will be no bumps for both of them.

At one time Milton Berle was the king of TV.

Ask anybody now who Milton Berle was?

Deadpool and Harely have more upside for investment potential than MASH,Cheers and Uncle Miltie because Mash,Cheers,and Uncle Miltie`s time has come and passed,while Deadpool and Harley are just getting started.

Deadpool and Harley are a great opportunity for collectors to get in at the beginning before their first appearances skyrocket.

Anybody remember how Star Wars #1 exploded in price over the last few years?

Don`t be surprised over the next few years NM #98 and Harley`s first appearances continue to rise.

For some reason old time comic book traditionalists hate change, and resist when new characters like Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead take off.

Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead are good for the hobby because they create new interest.

To children everything is new. Do you think a 5 year old remembers Spiderman from the 60's, 70's or 80's? No, he gets his first impression from a movie, comic or cartoon series. It is all new interest to them.

There is no denying that Deadpool and Harley are more popular now than they ever have been, but just continuing to repeat that fact over and over is not a valid line of reasoning to extend their popularity into perpetuity or compare them to heroes that have billions more impressions per year (Superman, Batman, Spiderman and even Wolverine).

I get it you are a fan and there is nothing wrong with that, but you are also not making any points.

My point is Harley and Deadpool have huge upsides heading into the future.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I am out.

:foryou:

Do you honestly feel they have huge upside knowing how many copies are available and the census numbers?

No matter what the future holds I just don't see a huge upside for either one but would love to know your justification for such a view. I enjoy them both but they don't have the depth other major characters have. A one trick pony can only keep the attention span for so long IMO.

Young generations create the future icons.

Some examples,not all.

1930s with Universal Monsters.

1940s with Superman and Batman.

1950s with Elvis.

1960s with The Beatles,James Bond and Stan Lee,Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby Marvel Comics.

1970s with Star Wars.

1980s with Transformers,GI JOE and NINTENDO.

1990s with Harry Potter,and video games.

There is always a pattern whatever something was popular with young generations that it comes back big when those younger generations start to have buying power when they get a certain age.

My nephew is a case example he was 5 when Power Rangers hit, now that he has graduated college,became a husband and father and has a good paying job we will find he now spends thousands on Power Rangers memorabilia.

I have another friend was just starting to buy comics when Liefeld,McFarlane and Jim Lee first burst onto the scene and now he has at that age where he can spend the bucks.

Deadpool and Harley are just starting to take off. Their generation has come of age. I expect a good 20 year run out of them.

Now with that being said. They might be the last mainstream heroes that come out of comics like that because right around somewhere in the mid-90s the younger mainstream generation abandoned comics and got into video games,Pokemon,Harry Potter and Magic the Gathering.

Those much maligned early 90s dreck comic books might have been the last time comic books were collected in such high numbers by the younger generation.

There might not be another generation that will get nostalgic for comic books in big numbers.

That early 1990s generation might be it.

Walking dead #1's will drop before NM 98's do.

Deadpool is becoming a top 10 character whether you like him or not.

Ship has just come into port for this character.

NM #98 wont be skyrocketing but it is for sure a blue chip copper book just like ASM 300.

x5k new NM CGC 9.8's will be graded over the next 10 years, but the value will still be steady.

Infinite demand.