• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?

Often times the comics don't come out of the box to be graded until there's a reason for it, and that's when the community gets hard data about the numbers, but Deadpool has always been at least somewhat popular and known so it's a little different. Maybe that's the important difference?

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

All good arguments,but we are missing the point that Deadpool is a brand now like Batman!

Just about every collector wants Detective Comics #27 and Batman #1,and as the years go by they will all want New Mutants #98 and Deadpool #1.

Deadpool is in the Superman,Batman,Spider-Man and Wolverine club now,and to resist it is futile.

I heard the same talk about the Walking Dead,but here we are 13 years later waiting for the Walking Dead bubble to burst!

This isn't an accurate statement. I don't know if you are completely joking or just very hopeful, but Deadpool is not in the club. One successful movie doesn't make him equal to the greatest superheroes (and Wolverine) of comic history.

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony.

People can celebrate the success of the movie without going over the wall bat-*spoon* crazy about how this is the next coming of the savior.

:makepoint:

Does this apply to Harley too?

The Suicide Squad movie will put her on the map.

Harley has much more upside than let`s say Wonder Woman. :o

I look at the upward trends and most of the younger generation thinks Harley is cooler than Wonder Woman by a mile!

The old traditionalists will tell us how cool Wonder Women is,but we all know Harley is way more interesting!

Things change.

Tarzan at one time was more popular than Wolverine.

Buck Rogers at one time was more popular than Star Wars.

Fantastic Four at one time was more popular than Deadpool.

Harley and Deadpool lots of upside!

:cloud9:

Insightful. About as insightful as horses at one time being a more popular form of transportation than cars. The M*A*S*H* finale is still the recordholder for most watched TV show (barring Super Bowls) in history, with 105 million viewers and 60% of households tuning in (approximately). This should make it likely to sell more comics than WD. Like 30 times more if viewership has that strong a correlation in your other examples. Cheers was also huge, with the second highest rating ever for its final episode. Where is the long term Cheers bump?

Cheers is deader than Mash.

There will be no bumps for both of them.

At one time Milton Berle was the king of TV.

Ask anybody now who Milton Berle was?

Deadpool and Harely have more upside for investment potential than MASH,Cheers and Uncle Miltie because Mash,Cheers,and Uncle Miltie`s time has come and passed,while Deadpool and Harley are just getting started.

Deadpool and Harley are a great opportunity for collectors to get in at the beginning before their first appearances skyrocket.

Anybody remember how Star Wars #1 exploded in price over the last few years?

Don`t be surprised over the next few years NM #98 and Harley`s first appearances continue to rise.

For some reason old time comic book traditionalists hate change, and resist when new characters like Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead take off.

Deadpool,Harley and The Walking Dead are good for the hobby because they create new interest.

To children everything is new. Do you think a 5 year old remembers Spiderman from the 60's, 70's or 80's? No, he gets his first impression from a movie, comic or cartoon series. It is all new interest to them.

There is no denying that Deadpool and Harley are more popular now than they ever have been, but just continuing to repeat that fact over and over is not a valid line of reasoning to extend their popularity into perpetuity or compare them to heroes that have billions more impressions per year (Superman, Batman, Spiderman and even Wolverine).

I get it you are a fan and there is nothing wrong with that, but you are also not making any points.

My point is Harley and Deadpool have huge upsides heading into the future.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I am out.

:foryou:

Do you honestly feel they have huge upside knowing how many copies are available and the census numbers?

No matter what the future holds I just don't see a huge upside for either one but would love to know your justification for such a view. I enjoy them both but they don't have the depth other major characters have. A one trick pony can only keep the attention span for so long IMO.

Young generations create the future icons.

Some examples,not all.

1930s with Universal Monsters.

1940s with Superman and Batman.

1950s with Elvis.

1960s with The Beatles,James Bond and Stan Lee,Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby Marvel Comics.

1970s with Star Wars.

1980s with Transformers,GI JOE and NINTENDO.

1990s with Harry Potter,and video games.

There is always a pattern whatever something was popular with young generations that it comes back big when those younger generations start to have buying power when they get a certain age.

My nephew is a case example he was 5 when Power Rangers hit, now that he has graduated college,became a husband and father and has a good paying job we will find he now spends thousands on Power Rangers memorabilia.

I have another friend was just starting to buy comics when Liefeld,McFarlane and Jim Lee first burst onto the scene and now he has at that age where he can spend the bucks.

Deadpool and Harley are just starting to take off. Their generation has come of age. I expect a good 20 year run out of them.

Now with that being said. They might be the last mainstream heroes that come out of comics like that because right around somewhere in the mid-90s the younger mainstream generation abandoned comics and got into video games,Pokemon,Harry Potter and Magic the Gathering.

Those much maligned early 90s dreck comic books might have been the last time comic books were collected in such high numbers by the younger generation.

There might not be another generation that will get nostalgic for comic books in big numbers.

That early 1990s generation might be it.

.... good post..... but one glaring omission ...... the 1950's Sci-Fi craze in Hollywood had a profound influence on the Silver Age. John in his previous post is right on as well....... huge price spikes on NM 98 are unlikely, but the desirability will only increase. People who are solely or mostly motivated by the investment angle in comics will come and go, because frankly, there are much better options for investment. The comic market is driven by collectors..... always has and always will be..... and Deadpool has been hot for at least a decade and will stay that way...... and let's face it, as a way to spend one's entertainment/disposable income, bowling, billiards, booze, and broads, while plenty of fun, rarely offer the opportunity to recoup ones expense the way a nice comic does ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?

Often times the comics don't come out of the box to be graded until there's a reason for it, and that's when the community gets hard data about the numbers, but Deadpool has always been at least somewhat popular and known so it's a little different. Maybe that's the important difference?

Deadpool hasn't always been even somewhat popular. He went for many, many years (1993-2008) without much notice at all.

9.8s sold many, many times in the mid 00's in the $40-$60 range.

Also, books like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 have been readily available in high grade (relative to the to the timeframe), and have still commanded solid prices.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

hm

How many copies of each do you have to sell?

I can't agree with any of this.

Deadpool is hot right now, that's all.

The Ninja Turtles are a global success and have been for decades.

John are you talking outta your azz again? NM 98 outclasses TMNT #1? :roflmao:

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

What exactly are you basing this on? They were a hit in the late 80's - early 90's and were dead for years until the last movie revived them a bit. Global success for decades? What data are you using to base this on? At least as far as movie's go (which IMO is a pretty good indicator of popularity) the 3rd movie of the original series was a total flop ($40M gross) and there wasn't another movie made until 2 decades later. That sounds like kind of the opposite of a global success for decades.

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

Are you really trying to compare DECADES of success and one hit movie?

Deadpool hasn't always been even somewhat popular. He went for many, many years (1993-2008) without much notice at all.

Also, books like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 have been readily available in high grade (relative to the to the timeframe), and have still commanded solid prices.

You're correct, but I didn't mean Deadpool has been hugely popular (or valuable), just that he's never really gone away and always seemed to have some collectibility... Which is why the book has been slabbed in relatively high numbers I'd imagine.

I'm not sure I buy the ASM 300 or IH 181 quantity comparison, something feels off about it.

I'd take a TMNT 1 any day of the week over NM 98, that's all I'm sure of. But then, I wouldn't be looking to resell either so that certainly changes the equation.

What exactly are you basing this on? They were a hit in the late 80's - early 90's and were dead for years until the last movie revived them a bit. Global success for decades? What data are you using to base this on? At least as far as movie's go (which IMO is a pretty good indicator of popularity) the 3rd movie of the original series was a total flop ($40M gross) and there wasn't another movie made until 2 decades later. That sounds like kind of the opposite of a global success for decades.

I am not basing this off of box office success, as that should definitely not be the only factor for a legitimate comparison. My comment was based off of how relevant the Turtles have been since the 80's. How incredibly popular they are with every generation since then through comics, toys, cartoons, etc.

Deadpool is a trendy one trick pony. Luckily for the studio they had Ryan for the role because any less of a star actor and the movie most likely does not have the success it's having.

Hasn't TMNT had a pretty popular cartoon relatively consistently through the years? I've more than one friend with young kids, and those kids all (well, the boys) are into the turtles. They also watch the older cartoons on Netflix.

I am not basing this off of box office success, as that should definitely not be the only factor for a legitimate comparison. My comment was based off of how relevant the Turtles have been since the 80's. How incredibly popular they are with every generation since then through comics, toys, cartoons, etc.

Deadpool is a trendy one trick pony. Luckily for the studio they had Ryan for the role because any less of a star actor and the movie most likely does not have the success it's having.

Reynolds isn't the only reason they had a successful project. He couldn't help Green Lantern. It's a good movie. It was funny, exciting, and I felt went places that other comic movies wouldn't dare go.

The movie is obviously driving the recent upswing in price, but I'm with the camp that doesn't really see this falling anytime soon. Leveling out? Sure, but not falling.

Reynolds isn't the only reason they had a successful project. He couldn't help Green Lantern. It's a good movie. It was funny, exciting, and I felt went places that other comic movies wouldn't dare go.

The movie is obviously driving the recent upswing in price, but I'm with the camp that doesn't really see this falling anytime soon. Leveling out? Sure, but not falling.

The movie was skillfully done, but like I've said elsewhere I don't see this character carrying a franchise past another solo film. What so you do with him? Their only hope is in fundamentally changing what made him popular as a character. He has to become more serious. If they can pull that off in film... It can work. I know they've managed it in the comics at times, but the character is iconic for the fourth wall breaking cartoon absurdity.

It's really tough to build an action based franchise on that. Without change, I see one more successful solo film and maybe a group movie before things get difficult.

You're correct, but I didn't mean Deadpool has been hugely popular (or valuable), just that he's never really gone away and always seemed to have some collectibility... Which is why the book has been slabbed in relatively high numbers I'd imagine.

That would be incorrect. Deadpool didn't have a regular series until 1997, and then, sporadically from 2001-2008 (and Agent X wasn't *really* Deadpool.)

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

We can't re-write history. and Deadpool, outside of a small, short blip in 1993 for his first mini, was dead as a doornail in terms of back issue desire until 2008 or so.

Lots of characters are published for which there is little or no demand for their first appearances. That may seem strange at this time, but it has been true for most of the history of comics as collectibles. There really was a time when people enjoyed reading new She-Hulk comics, for example, and didn't go loopy over her first appearance. Or Spider-woman, or Alpha Flight, or Nick Fury, or Lobo, or Cloak & Dagger, etc etc.

I'm not sure I buy the ASM 300 or IH 181 quantity comparison, something feels off about it.

And yet, both of those books are readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census (your criteria) but have also sustained value while adhering to the supply and demand rule (also your criteria.)

You keep talking about these DECADES of success but I don't see any data to back up such success. In fact the data suggests that they were a dead property for DECADES (2 at least). You are correct that a movie isn't the sole measure of success but it is a good indicator. What does it say when a movie which is widely available to all to see can only generate $42M? It says very few people gave a rat's behind about the turtles. A successful cartoon you say? What does that mean? 40,000 kids watch it? 100,000? Little kids might like the turtles but they certainly were not part of the general public's consciousness for a long time.

You keep talking about these DECADES of success but I don't see any data to back up such success. In fact the data suggests that they were a dead property for DECADES (2 at least). You are correct that a movie isn't the sole measure of success but it is a good indicator. What does it say when a movie which is widely available to all to see can only generate $42M? It says very few people gave a rat's behind about the turtles. A successful cartoon you say? What does that mean? 40,000 kids watch it? 100,000? Little kids might like the turtles but they certainly were not part of the general public's consciousness for a long time.

What planet are you on?

The turtles have been on TV consistently since 1987, in comics since their inception, multiple video games and consistently popular action figure/toy lines too numerous to count.

This franchise has sold billions in merchandising over the past +30 years.

Batman Forever sucked monkey testicles, but Batman isn't dead. Why do you think one movie defines a franchise in a negative way? One movie, good or bad, means nothing.

:screwy:

:gossip: if the turtles are a dead franchise, why are they making a sequel to the "terrible" movie you referenced?

image.jpg

Edited by rfoiii

Yeah, I'm not one who's ever going to feel the need to go digging for hard data on viewership on a cartoon or how many TMNT figures have sold over the last few decades to prove a point. Just keep in mind that children grow up, and when they do its childhood they embrace throughout their lives. So rather than go back and forth I will agree to disagree. You have your view and I have mine and that's okay.

That would be incorrect. Deadpool didn't have a regular series until 1997, and then, sporadically from 2001-2008 (and Agent X wasn't *really* Deadpool.)

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

We can't re-write history. and Deadpool, outside of a small, short blip in 1993 for his first mini, was dead as a doornail in terms of back issue desire until 2008 or so.

Lots of characters are published for which there is little or no demand for their first appearances. That may seem strange at this time, but it has been true for most of the history of comics as collectibles. There really was a time when people enjoyed reading new She-Hulk comics, for example, and didn't go loopy over her first appearance. Or Spider-woman, or Alpha Flight, or Nick Fury, or Lobo, or Cloak & Dagger, etc etc.

And yet, both of those books are readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census (your criteria) but have also sustained value while adhering to the supply and demand rule (also your criteria.)

Your memory is different from mine, but perhaps it's better than mine too. I remember Deadpool popping up pretty often, and of course, much more often in the period you suggest it all started to heat up in.

I remember the Kelly Deadpool series being quite good and knew a lot of people that read it. It ran a few years but never blew up big but people have been collecting those books for years. I don't even care much for the character but I liked that run. As I said earlier on, a lot of this gets down to confirmation bias when speaking about secondary market popularity.

One thing though, you're twisting my meaning on the census data by equating apples to oranges on the differences. There are nowhere near the number of high grade IH 181 in the census to NM 98. I think the 9.4 and 9.6 numbers on ASM 300 might be similar, but not the 9.8s. For the record, I don't think ASM 300 will have similar numbers on the census to Deadpool in a few years time. And that's completely agreeing that ASM 300 is dirt common, so we'll need a new adjective for how common this book is.

I never added a "for the time" algebra to that (which, frankly, is stupid. It's either hard to find or it isn't), someone else did... So you're wrong there where you so happily quote it as my criteria. Unless you read my "high grade" as VF- I guess, which I should have been more clear on... For a book this new, not sure why the discussion would stray past very high grades, but I failed to specify that so my apologies.

Whichever way it ends up actually being, the discussion is at least interesting.