• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

rfoiii. I want you to look at both your and IntoAnother's response. This is why I was calling you out before. Not necessarily your point of view.

How do you feel about NM98 vs TMNT1?

Deadpool outclasses that book.

Same price tag NM 98's would sell much faster.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

John are you talking outta your azz again? NM 98 outclasses TMNT #1? :roflmao:

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

Are you really trying to compare DECADES of success and one hit movie?

You keep talking about these DECADES of success but I don't see any data to back up such success. In fact the data suggests that they were a dead property for DECADES (2 at least). You are correct that a movie isn't the sole measure of success but it is a good indicator. What does it say when a movie which is widely available to all to see can only generate $42M? It says very few people gave a rat's behind about the turtles. A successful cartoon you say? What does that mean? 40,000 kids watch it? 100,000? Little kids might like the turtles but they certainly were not part of the general public's consciousness for a long time.

Yeah, I'm not one who's ever going to feel the need to go digging for hard data on viewership on a cartoon or how many TMNT figures have sold over the last few decades to prove a point. Just keep in mind that children grow up, and when they do its childhood they embrace throughout their lives. So rather than go back and forth I will agree to disagree. You have your view and I have mine and that's okay.

Only reason TMNT #1 is worth that much is of course because of the low print run.

I don't know why people have such a hard time admitting that the prices for TMNT #1 are heavily influenced by the low print run and census numbers. John is absolutely right in that if it had similar numbers to NM98 it would sell for much much less. Since the comic comparison isn't possible due to the vast inequity in available copies, look at the movies for a comparison of "demand". The last TMNT grossed just under $500M globally. Deadpool is at $609M and still chugging strong, despite having an R rating which makes it less available to the population than TMNT. Will probably end up somewhere in the $800-900 range. You tell me who is a bigger global success (shrug)

You keep talking about these DECADES of success but I don't see any data to back up such success. In fact the data suggests that they were a dead property for DECADES (2 at least). You are correct that a movie isn't the sole measure of success but it is a good indicator. What does it say when a movie which is widely available to all to see can only generate $42M? It says very few people gave a rat's behind about the turtles. A successful cartoon you say? What does that mean? 40,000 kids watch it? 100,000? Little kids might like the turtles but they certainly were not part of the general public's consciousness for a long time.

What planet are you on?

The turtles have been on TV consistently since 1987, in comics since their inception, multiple video games and consistently popular action figure/toy lines too numerous to count.

This franchise has sold billions in merchandising over the past +30 years.

Batman Forever sucked monkey testicles, but Batman isn't dead. Why do you think one movie defines a franchise in a negative way? One movie, good or bad, means nothing.

:screwy:

:gossip: if the turtles are a dead franchise, why are they making a sequel to the "terrible" movie you referenced?

image.jpg

Edited by thunsicker

What planet are you on?

The turtles have been on TV consistently since 1987, in comics since their inception, multiple video games and consistently popular action figure/toy lines too numerous to count.

Batman Forever sucked monkey testicles, but Batman isn't dead. Why do you think one movie defines a franchise in a negative way? One movie, good or bad, means nothing.

:gossip: if the turtles are a dead franchise, why are they making a sequel to the "terrible" movie you referenced?

image.jpg

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Would you like to show me where I said the movie was "terrible"? Since you put it in quotes, you are technically quoting something I said. Except that I didn't. Also I said they were dead for years... and made a comeback recently with the latest movie.I did not say they were a dead property NOW. Again reading comprehension is fundamental. Also the sequel is to the latest movie. The movie that flopped was in 1993 and it took 21 years for them to resurrect this juggernaut of success hm

Yeah, I'm not one who's ever going to feel the need to go digging for hard data on viewership on a cartoon or how many TMNT figures have sold over the last few decades to prove a point. Just keep in mind that children grow up, and when they do its childhood they embrace throughout their lives. So rather than go back and forth I will agree to disagree. You have your view and I have mine and that's okay.

Fair enough man, fair enough.

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

-----------

Proof? Receipts? Screenshot saves? Affidavits from sellers? ;-) Not a one time thing either, multiples please. Not saying it didn't ever happen or it wasn't in a dollar box somewhere, but could you go our on any given night and bid on this?

I distinctly remember buzz on these interweb boards and on the ebay boards in 2005/2006 about NM 98 and at that point I couldn't find a copy in the wild for $5. (no doubt there was a copy on ebay for $5, but with $5 shipping...) Yes, the buzz was "wow, it is in double digits now", nothing earth shattering, true.

Cable/deadpool came out in 2004. That didn't spike interest? It ran for 50 issues.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong.

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

What planet are you on?

image.jpg

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Would you like to show me where I said the movie was "terrible"? Since you put it in quotes, you are technically quoting something I said. Except that I didn't. Also I said they were dead for years... and made a comeback recently with the latest movie.I did not say they were a dead property NOW. Again reading comprehension is fundamental. Also the sequel is to the latest movie. The movie that flopped was in 1993 and it took 21 years for them to resurrect this juggernaut of success hm

I was making a joke with the meme, you obviously took it the wrong way and are getting snarky with the insults. So I will leave it at this: you have been living under a rock if you think the turtles were dead from 1993-2014.

That is just plain incorrect.

Edited by rfoiii

TNMT cartoons run 12 times a day. My kids watch about an hour of turtles a day. My 4 year old calls me dude. I'm going to guess they sell a lot more toys than Deadpool. More clothing. More coloring books and other krap.

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

Surely my 2 and 6 year old that watches the cartoons,reads the comics,has TMNT clothes,bedding, and just about every toy there is will disagree too! :roflmao:

Apparently your 4 year old and maybe his friends were the only ones that went to see the 3rd movie back in 1993 (shrug) (and yes I realize he would not have been born yet)

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

Edited by rfoiii

I went to see it. It wasn't good. Maybe that's why it did so poorly?

Perhaps but if the target demographic is 2-10 year olds as is being suggested by others... I'm not sure how discerning little kids are when it comes to movies.

My son LOVES the cartoon, especially the recent episode where they enter Mikey's "psyche" and his core manifests itself as a child. My son calls it the "baby Mikey" episode and asks to watch it at least once a day among all the other things (Paw Patrol, Cars, Toy Story, Spiderman, etc).

In fact, because he loved the cartoon so much, we have a ritual where I record all the new episodes and we sit down and watch them each week together. Its fun!

FYI - this current cartoon version debuted in 2012, a full two years before the latest movie "resurrected the franchise..." :tonofbricks:

We kind of do that too! On Sundays we get the bowls of cerial and watch cartoons together. :cloud9:

Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?

Often times the comics don't come out of the box to be graded until there's a reason for it, and that's when the community gets hard data about the numbers, but Deadpool has always been at least somewhat popular and known so it's a little different. Maybe that's the important difference?

Deadpool hasn't always been even somewhat popular. He went for many, many years (1993-2008) without much notice at all.

9.8s sold many, many times in the mid 00's in the $40-$60 range.

Also, books like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 have been readily available in high grade (relative to the to the timeframe), and have still commanded solid prices.

You're correct, but I didn't mean Deadpool has been hugely popular (or valuable), just that he's never really gone away and always seemed to have some collectibility... Which is why the book has been slabbed in relatively high numbers I'd imagine.

That would be incorrect. Deadpool didn't have a regular series until 1997, and then, sporadically from 2001-2008 (and Agent X wasn't *really* Deadpool.)

He hasn't had any collectability until 2008. As late as 2007, you could buy Liefeld New Mutants in lots, including #98, for $5-$10 plus shipping (minus #87, usually.)

We can't re-write history. and Deadpool, outside of a small, short blip in 1993 for his first mini, was dead as a doornail in terms of back issue desire until 2008 or so.

Lots of characters are published for which there is little or no demand for their first appearances. That may seem strange at this time, but it has been true for most of the history of comics as collectibles. There really was a time when people enjoyed reading new She-Hulk comics, for example, and didn't go loopy over her first appearance. Or Spider-woman, or Alpha Flight, or Nick Fury, or Lobo, or Cloak & Dagger, etc etc.

I'm not sure I buy the ASM 300 or IH 181 quantity comparison, something feels off about it.

And yet, both of those books are readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census (your criteria) but have also sustained value while adhering to the supply and demand rule (also your criteria.)

Your memory is different from mine, but perhaps it's better than mine too. I remember Deadpool popping up pretty often, and of course, much more often in the period you suggest it all started to heat up in.

Don't need to rely on memories, when you have sales data.

The high price for 9.8s for several years in the 00's was $150-$180. During that time, multiple copies sold in the $40-$60 range, with a low of $40.

The high price for a 9.6 during that time (2002-2007) was $85. The low was $10.

It performed better than, say, #97 or #99, but not by much. In fact, the high for a 9.8 #99 in that time frame was $95....higher than #98.

I remember the Kelly Deadpool series being quite good and knew a lot of people that read it. It ran a few years but never blew up big but people have been collecting those books for years. I don't even care much for the character but I liked that run. As I said earlier on, a lot of this gets down to confirmation bias when speaking about secondary market popularity.

No doubt, which is why concrete sales data is so important.

One thing though, you're twisting my meaning on the census data by equating apples to oranges on the differences. There are nowhere near the number of high grade IH 181 in the census to NM 98. I think the 9.4 and 9.6 numbers on ASM 300 might be similar, but not the 9.8s. For the record, I don't think ASM 300 will have similar numbers on the census to Deadpool in a few years time. And that's completely agreeing that ASM 300 is dirt common, so we'll need a new adjective for how common this book is.

But that wasn't your criteria. You're not going to find an identical book to NM #98 represented on the census; every book is essentially unique. Your criteria was "Is there a similar big key that has been able to sustain value and adhere to the supply and demand rule while being readily available in high grade condition as verified by the census?" and the answer is yes, with ASM #300, Hulk #181, and a few others. If you meant "identical", rather than "similar", you won't find it.

However, there IS one book that has very similar numbers, and has sustained its value, and that is Wolverine Limited #1, which says quite a bit, since it's a good 8.5 years older than NM #98.

Make no doubt about it: there are millions upon millions of comics out there that could have similar numbers on the census, but do not, because they're not worth slabbing. We're only beginning to see the foundation of the census start to get really firmed up.

I never added a "for the time" algebra to that (which, frankly, is stupid. It's either hard to find or it isn't), someone else did... So you're wrong there where you so happily quote it as my criteria.

I don't know what you're talking about here. I quoted your criteria verbatim. The entire conversation is preserved in this quote chain, perhaps you could point me to what you're referring to...?

Unless you read my "high grade" as VF- I guess, which I should have been more clear on... For a book this new, not sure why the discussion would stray past very high grades, but I failed to specify that so my apologies.

I said "relative to the timeframe", which has to do with levels of preservation, not ease of finding. "High grade" for Hulk #181, since it's a 1974 book, and still a while before people started to bag and board everything that instant it came out, would be around 9.4.

Whichever way it ends up actually being, the discussion is at least interesting.

Indeed.

We kind of do that too! On Sundays we get the bowls of cerial and watch cartoons together. :cloud9:

Awesome! (thumbs u

I did the same thing when I was a kid with my brother and dad.

Can't beat it! :grin:

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

You are right, everyone is buying their little kids $10K comic books because the turtles are huge. Prices would not fall if there happened to be 2,000 9.8s on the census because we would just have more 4 year olds running around with slabs of TMNT #1 clutched in their grubby little hands.

Dude, who pizzed in your cerial today?

In reading all of these posts, I keep coming back to the one thing that seems to be overlooked: NM 98 is safe for now. I say "for now" because I cannot predict the future, but I can point to the success (critically and commercially) of the current film. We know that there will be another film that will keep the interest in Deadpool alive for at least a few more years. If that film is critically and commercially successful too then NM 98 should continue to be safe; however, the opposite is also very possible.

Let me operationalize what I mean by "safe." I am not suggesting that this is a good investment comic, nor am I denying that it potentially could be. Instead, I think that one can safely assume that the comic will continue to stay around its current levels, give or take. It should hold its current value for the foreseeable future. The value of the question of whether or not it will continue to increase in value or have pop culture significance down the road really depends on your expectations and reason for purchasing the book. As a re-seller, I see NM 98 as a solid quick-flip book, but I am not sold on it's long-term potential. The long game is always riskier than the short game when dealing with collectibles of any kind.

With all of this in mind, I am just as confident that WD 1, as well as WD 19, are also safe for now and less confident that Harley Quinn's 1st appearance is safe (I will wait until the Suicide Squad movie comes out and see how it does). These four comics are something of the spice of the moment right now and all four are significant for the pop culture of the present.

For me,the short term is all that matters for stuff like this. When I search for things that will hold their value long-term, I avoid modern age comics and avoid film/tv show hype: pop culture is volatile and any given property's audience is as fickle as it is dynamic.

NM 98 might be the biggest thing since Jesus, but it also might be another picture of the Virgin Mary on a grilled-cheese sandwich. Well, that's a strange analogy...

You make zero sense.

1 - TMNT has been a cornerstone of pop culture and kids media for decades (movies, cartoons, tv shows, action figures, video games, comics, books, stickers, school supplies, stuffed animals, other toys, etc).

2 - Current adults grew up with TMNT and are now at a buying age to recapture a nostalgic piece of their youth with TMNT 1.

3 - TMNT 1 (first print) had a small print run, making it "rare" relative to other comics.

4 - TMNT is still popular today, making it a "safer" investment moving forward because the children of today become the buyers of tomorrow.

These are are all true statements and they are reasons why TMNT 1 is worth what it is worth.

What is your issue?

hm

How many copies of each do you have to sell?

NM 98's?

hmmmmm sold the CGC 9.9 in Jan and 15 9.8's this year already.

More getting graded now.

Dude, who pizzed in your cerial today?

:sorry: