• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

As far as comparing Wolverine and Deadpool, feel free to do as you like. However, using illogical success stories of a small group of other examples to justify that lightning will in fact strike twice, is not a strong argument. Everyone always goes to the "it happened to x, why can't it happen to y?" If that really happened in any type of frequency there wouldn't be examples for you to use as inspirational argument support. It is implausible, for a variety of reasons which have been extensively discussed in this thread numerous times. Deadpool, in every sense of the comparison, is not Wolverine.

I'm not saying that Deadpool is going to overtake Wolverine in popularity - although anything is possible.

What I'm saying is that we are having the same discussions.

I'm also saying that Deadpool's popularity is uncannily high and eyebrows are raising from all camps, those for and against.

I don't have any ability to track or verify sales by independent dealers. Don't mix me with others that dismiss it complete, as of course I understand these have value, but I am unsure as how to quantify them in any capacity. All I know is that when I approach dealers on the prices of books as commonly traded as this, prices are usually similar to GPA or eBay auctions. :shrug:

I actually did mix you up because I was fairly certain that earlier on in another discussion you discredited dealer's input completely because you felt that they were biased and therefore not trustworthy. I think it was the Hulk #1 discussions last year.

So what if dealers price their books at GPA or eBay auctions. I still don't understand why you feel that is a negative thing?

I didn't quote an outlier on data, I used YOUR example of the last 30 day average versus the 90 day average. I also provided a simple exercise to show that almost all other grades were down in the 90 day average, to which you dismissed because you "only follow 9.8 sales." You can do whatever you want, but my analysis and presentation of the data has been thorough and balanced.

Fair enough. And my response to that was, I'd love to see price averages in all grades pre and post Feb 12th.

Side note - if you can make comments on the selling of books from your experience as a dealer as submittable evidence, than I am able to submit similar testimony on the naiveté of new comic buyers (and new buyers in general) in the market. Why is your opinion and experience unassailable, but mine "doesn't hold water." If someone doesn't know GPA or the census exists (both membership services), how would they gain this information? My experience is that eager fans are willing to pay prices when dealers provide them with plausible stories on the "rarity" of the item (I cited the eBay description as an example). These are common time-tested selling tactics used to close buyers for decades - I am not exactly reaching or reinventing the wheel here. Particularly emphasized by the fact that people from other parts of the world are now buying - they are far less informed and far more impressionable due to the historic, cultural and market dynamic knowledge gaps.

Non-educated buyers have so much more information at their fingertips than I did when I stepped back in the water after a blackout in the 90's. I got back in just as CGC was starting, eBay was still relatively new and the census wasn't established.

It's only in towards the end of the last decade that I realized that I could literally 'Google' anything for an answer. Youngin's were doing it but I wasn't and I always though to myself 'dayum, that was a quick response by that board member - how did he know that?'

Now we are living in an age where literally every - no, any piece of information you want is searchable, and young people (in their 30's and younger - boy I'm showing my age when I consider 30 young) know this. The facade is fading fast.

Sure there are going to be information or market dynamic knowledge gaps out there, but just as you have dishonest business practices, you are also going to have fair dealers who don't rip people off. I could have held out for $900 to the buyer in Singapore but I didn't. I sold for below GPA average.

Honestly, I am not sure why you are arguing with me. Everything I am presenting is very reasonable.

lol

It's gotta be just a lack of chemistry between us. I get that with some people.

I wasn't really arguing with you as much as trying to paint a side to the picture that your numbers weren't showing.

Maybe "argue" was a strong term, I understand you are just providing a different perspective.

I disagree with the assumption that because it is the Internet age, all data is available and buyers are informed. It is true in part of course, but the information in is hobby isn't as easy to obtain as it is being insinuated.

I wasn't passing judgement on dealer prices, but rather that I could only offer up my own experience to that portion of the sales and prices. I meant it also as an end state of negotiation, not usually the starting listed prices (which are almost certainly marked up - common dynamic in shows).

I guess where I am at is I understand how popular Deadpool is and why people are seeking the book but I also see the reality of the character, understand what is necessary for long-term success (and why he doesn't meet the criteria) and have data to support a massive bubble being created around demand and factionalized supply. My posts are aimed at ensuring readers don't buy this book with the assumption it is going to hold its current value or grow into perpetuity. Again, it isn't going to crash tomorrow, but eventually it will be outed as the poster-child of modern speculation driving artificial inflation.

Edited by rfoiii

well, on 1st winter soldier it had gone up and then went down...I was waiting during that down period because i saw no reason to sell for $10-$15 or whatever it was at.. and it most definitely went back up after the movie as i dilly dallied until after opening night but still got $35 for it. raw. but a really nice copy. whether 9.8 slabs were not moving around as much i dunno. i sell to the common man.

I'll never forget the photo of the dealer who had 500 copies of Marvel two in one #1 laid out on his tables, that dealer is probably still piece-mealing these out one at a time while we speak as not to flood the market, so much more so with dealers and their NM98

"I'll never forget...."

:gossip: the book was Marvel Team Up not MTIO

:D this thread is making me want to slab my raw 9.9 hm

And I seriously doubt anyone would have bought 500 copies of New Mutants #98 when it was new to hoard. There was nothing particularly special about the book when it came out, other than being part of the larger Liefeld New Mutants buzz, and it remained not particularly special for nearly two decades.

Not the same, at all.

back in the day, many people were routinely buying cases of hot books each month. No way of knowing if they just sold them all quickly for a small profit.

But with this book having been collectible for many years, no doubt most hoarders would have taken advantage of the initial bump to unload them if they couldn't sell them initially. Once it took off, they would have to have consciously decided that it was going to be a super hot book years down the road and hold onto them.

who knows?

And I seriously doubt anyone would have bought 500 copies of New Mutants #98 when it was new to hoard. There was nothing particularly special about the book when it came out, other than being part of the larger Liefeld New Mutants buzz, and it remained not particularly special for nearly two decades.

Not the same, at all.

--------

kindah thinking, to the extent anyone was putting together speculo-hoards of every liefield issue of NM, a lot of those started getting leaked out when it hit $25 or whatever for a decent raw copy

back in the day, many people were routinely buying cases of hot books each month. No way of knowing if they just sold them all quickly for a small profit.

But with this book having been collectible for many years, no doubt most hoarders would have taken advantage of the initial bump to unload them if they couldn't sell them initially.

Yup. I remember thinking $450 was nuts for the book in 9.8 and sold them as fast as I could get my hands on 'em. But I knew zero about the character (I got out of collecting right before or right around the time he was introduced) and when I started going to shows again in the early 2000's I actually did not know who the red costumed character walking around shows was. I initially thought it was an l alternative Spider-man. lol

I don't have any ability to track or verify sales by independent dealers. Don't mix me with others that dismiss it complete, as of course I understand these have value, but I am unsure as how to quantify them in any capacity. All I know is that when I approach dealers on the prices of books as commonly traded as this, prices are usually similar to GPA or eBay auctions. :shrug:

I actually did mix you up because I was fairly certain that earlier on in another discussion you discredited dealer's input completely because you felt that they were biased and therefore not trustworthy. I think it was the Hulk #1 discussions last year.

So what if dealers price their books at GPA or eBay auctions. I still don't understand why you feel that is a negative thing?

I didn't quote an outlier on data, I used YOUR example of the last 30 day average versus the 90 day average. I also provided a simple exercise to show that almost all other grades were down in the 90 day average, to which you dismissed because you "only follow 9.8 sales." You can do whatever you want, but my analysis and presentation of the data has been thorough and balanced.

Fair enough. And my response to that was, I'd love to see price averages in all grades pre and post Feb 12th.

Side note - if you can make comments on the selling of books from your experience as a dealer as submittable evidence, than I am able to submit similar testimony on the naiveté of new comic buyers (and new buyers in general) in the market. Why is your opinion and experience unassailable, but mine "doesn't hold water." If someone doesn't know GPA or the census exists (both membership services), how would they gain this information? My experience is that eager fans are willing to pay prices when dealers provide them with plausible stories on the "rarity" of the item (I cited the eBay description as an example). These are common time-tested selling tactics used to close buyers for decades - I am not exactly reaching or reinventing the wheel here. Particularly emphasized by the fact that people from other parts of the world are now buying - they are far less informed and far more impressionable due to the historic, cultural and market dynamic knowledge gaps.

Non-educated buyers have so much more information at their fingertips than I did when I stepped back in the water after a blackout in the 90's. I got back in just as CGC was starting, eBay was still relatively new and the census wasn't established.

It's only in towards the end of the last decade that I realized that I could literally 'Google' anything for an answer. Youngin's were doing it but I wasn't and I always though to myself 'dayum, that was a quick response by that board member - how did he know that?'

Now we are living in an age where literally every - no, any piece of information you want is searchable, and young people (in their 30's and younger - boy I'm showing my age when I consider 30 young) know this. The facade is fading fast.

Sure there are going to be information or market dynamic knowledge gaps out there, but just as you have dishonest business practices, you are also going to have fair dealers who don't rip people off. I could have held out for $900 to the buyer in Singapore but I didn't. I sold for below GPA average.

Honestly, I am not sure why you are arguing with me. Everything I am presenting is very reasonable.

lol

I wasn't really arguing with you as much as trying to paint a side to the picture that your numbers weren't showing.

Maybe "argue" was a strong term, I understand you are just providing a different perspective.

I disagree with the assumption that because it is the Internet age, all data is available and buyers are informed. It is true in part of course, but the information in is hobby isn't as easy to obtain as it is being insinuated.

I wasn't passing judgement on dealer prices, but rather that I could only offer up my own experience to that portion of the sales and prices. I meant it also as an end state of negotiation, not usually the starting listed prices (which are almost certainly marked up - common dynamic in shows).

I guess where I am at is I understand how popular Deadpool is and why people are seeking the book but I also see the reality of the character, understand what is necessary for long-term success (and why he doesn't meet the criteria) and have data to support a massive bubble being created around demand and factionalized supply. My posts are aimed at ensuring readers don't buy this book with the assumption it is going to hold its current value or grow into perpetuity. Again, it isn't going to crash tomorrow, but eventually it will be outed as the poster-child of modern speculation driving artificial inflation.

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I'd like to understand why you've singled out Deadpool considering there are so many other books that are crashing even as we type. What you say about Deadpool could be extrapolated to include the industry as a whole since comics have no intrinsic value. But since you've invested so much time and effort into your post... I'll bite: What exactly is the criteria for long-term success? And please don't say rarity since I've already debunked this over used theory. Many other books with Deadpool numbers still going strong and many rare turds remain a turd.

... when I started going to shows again in the early 2000's I actually did not know who the red costumed character walking around shows was. I initially thought it was an l alternative Spider-man. lol

That was probably a good guess.

1395908887-0.jpg

More theatrics, all I am asking you to do is stop with the mocking smilies. It isn't a difficult request.

You are easily offended. You ought to learn how to have a discussion without having an emotional reaction. You are quick to accuse people of "mocking" (and Roy's not even the mocking type), but get offended when someone responds the same way to your mocking comments and memes, wondering out loud why people aren't getting your "joke."

As far as the hoard and resell, many dealers on here have confirmed this. independent collections have confirmed this and the steadily increasing nature of the census (versus and explosion that would happen in your example) relative to number of copies being sold confirms this. People are 100% sitting on multiple copies of this book and selling them a few at a time to maximize profits. Fact.

Do you have any proof of this?

Because it's contrary to the way the market works.

To the eBay comments: they are all straight descriptions about the sale of New Mutants 98 on eBay (this includes blue and yellow labels, no variants whatsoever) - I don't get what is hard to understand about the misleading nature of their comments. Yes some are misleading about the signatures themselves (also not rare in the slightest) but many are of blue label books. It is just a sampling and there are numerous others in sold comments and the hundreds that came before them. Sellers are misrepresenting the "rareness" of the book - this is an indisputable fact.

This is nothing new, and not confined to New Mutants #98. People overstate the things they are selling, and have since trading began.

Secondarily, you cannot make statements like "The majority of people spending money on comics know these books are not rare." You have zero proof of this and consumer education in market on virtually anything tells the opposite. People tend to believe sellers when they say something is rare and the statement is "plausible." Unless you are an avid collector you have no idea how many copies there are of NM 98, what the census looks like or even that it exists. Your statement is not only unsupportable, it isn't reasonable.

There are a couple of hundred copies of New Mutants #98 for sale on eBay right now, with several more hundred recently sold. Even the most cursory glance will tell even the freshest novice that this isn't rare. It isn't 1991 anymore, and buyers aren't confined to information from a few dealers.

The internet changed everything.

While it's true that there are some ignorant consumers out there who don't pay attention and will believe anything they're told, that's not true of the majority of people. People naturally look to their own interests, so they're not going to be spending hundreds of dollars on anything without doing even a modicum of research about it first.

Lastly, it cannot be argued that Deadpool is now a cultural phenomena and people all over the world are currently seeking and will be seeking NM 98 as a result (as others have insinuated on here) and then not assume that a large portion of those people would HAVE to be new to comic collecting. People new to comic collecting have no prior knowledge of rareness and are the most subject to being lead falsely astray on rareness, value and other circumstances. It is reasonable to assert that these people are being mislead and that is contributing to the rise in price of a book that is so common (especially in high grade) that it is laughable.

Not the same, at all.

--------

kindah thinking, to the extent anyone was putting together speculo-hoards of every liefield issue of NM, a lot of those started getting leaked out when it hit $25 or whatever for a decent raw copy

Yes.

Though that didn't happen for quite some time. I imagine the peak price was $10-$15 at the time of the first mini in 1993.

PS. your sig pic is disturbing.

:D

NM 98 auction is now up to $865, although there is a one Feedback noob pushing the price up. Hopefully it's not a shill.

Even without the one Feedback noob, the next highest bid was at $855 - well over the 90 day GPA average.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-98-CGC-9-8-1st-app-Deadpool-Ryan-Reynolds-X-men-Liefield-CGC-1-/131736726481?hash=item1eac1eebd1:g:kzUAAOSwnLdWs~5g

I'd like to know exactly how many of these people were routinely buying cases of hot books, and how many they were buying. In late 1990, when this book came out, "case buying" wasn't really a "thing", with, of course, some exceptions.

I worked for a small comics distributor during this time in the SF Bay Area. He was servicing card shops, since that was the "new thing" for them to get into. No one ordered anything by the case.

It surely happened, but to what extent? Were 1,000 people buying a case each? No, because that would have been 200,000-300,000 copies right there (I believe NM were in 300 count cases at that point), and the print run was around 250-300k total, including newsstand copies.

Did anyone buy a case of New Mutants #98?

Probably not.

Did people buy cases of #100? Sure, of that I have no doubt. The print run for #100 was around 500,000, so there were probably 100,000 or so of those represented by the "case buyers."

But #98...? There wasn't anything special about it, other than being a late run Liefeld New Mutants.

But with this book having been collectible for many years, no doubt most hoarders would have taken advantage of the initial bump to unload them if they couldn't sell them initially. Once it took off, they would have to have consciously decided that it was going to be a super hot book years down the road and hold onto them.

who knows?

Yes, but were people willing to wait the nearly 18 years it took for the book to finally start "taking off"?

What about people who had them in 1994? 1998? 2002? 2005?

At some point, life takes over, and waiting for that ship to come in isn't going to be worth it to most, and they dump. The book was a dud from 1993-ish to 2007/8. That's an awful long time to wait, if that was the plan.

I know that the 15 OO copies I bought, plus the 7 or so I added to that stack over the years, were sold in 2010-2012, for roughly $275 each....20 9.8s, 1 9.6. I got in at 90 cents on the first 15, so I didn't have much to lose.

I only have two left, one of which I bought off of eBay for about $100 back in 2013 or so. I passed on a raw 9.8 for $160 in August of 2014 (bought an incomplete "complete" set of Metal Men, Showcase included, instead lol ), and was told that he had 7 others just like it that a dealer had bought before me.

That's the way it goes.

lol

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I'd like to understand why you've singled out Deadpool considering there are so many other books that are crashing even as we type. What you say about Deadpool could be extrapolated to include the industry as a whole since comics have no intrinsic value. But since you've invested so much time and effort into your post... I'll bite: What exactly is the criteria for long-term success? And please don't say rarity since I've already debunked this over used theory. Many other books with Deadpool numbers still going strong and many rare turds remain a turd.

Rarity can be a factor, but I completely agree it cannot necessarily carry value on its own.

Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine.

See below some excerpts from my earlier posts in this thread stating why both Deadpool and Harley (at current) don't make the cut.

My comment on Deadpool as a character:

His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Marvel certainly isn't going to let him drink grade their premium A listers. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony. He just doesn't have any depth or breadth to bridge generations once his extreme form of humor is no longer core to pop culture.

Follow-up question asked: does this apply to Harley too?

It applies to her in a different way. Harley has been and is still largely a supporting character with her popularity mostly driven by her sex appeal and the misogynistic tendencies of comic books and pop culture fandom. She is popular with woman because she is viewed as "sexy and strong" while fantasized about by men because she is "sexy, submissive, embodies BDSM in comic form and the epitome of girl cosplay." She is a modern pin-up girl and idolized because of her physical characteristics and sexual innuendo.

Only recently have her new incarnations and individual titles given her some breadth outside of her traditional role as Joker's *spoon*. Which is a good thing, but hardly old enough yet to garner true support for her character beyond the afore mentioned characteristics rooted in her origin.

We will see what happens with her if she continues to "break the mold" of her roots. At current she hasn't proven to be a well-rounded character, but rather embodies the "sexy" characteristics and masochism of a partial character. Sex symbols are consistently replaced with the shifting of popular culture, so to have long-term staying power she will have to become a well-rounded character.

One other thought is that we are living in the world of comic speculation during the superhero era of cinema. More people are speculating and buying/selling comics than ever before - many of which have no interest in the hobby. This is driving transactions well beyond normal levels and makes it difficult to ascertain who is actually buying because they want a piece of Deadpool and who wants to profit from the situation. These folks move quickly into the next new thing and Deadpool has hung on better than others.

Lastly don't forget the massive media campaign still being launched and leveraged to drive Deadpool viewership. The movie studios concocted an elaborate ruse using Ryan Reynolds as a tool to make fans believe this movie was made for and because of them. All the commercials, online spoofs, ads and the like have continued long after the movie debuted and longer and to a greater extent than typical Hollywood support. We don't talk about the impact of this campaign on the value of the comic and it would be hard to quantify, but there is still a lot of money being spent on the movie...

I don't think NM 98 pricing is anywhere near its long-term peak.

Because the movie really is that popular, even by Marvel U. standards.

Per Box Office Mojo, as of yesterday it has already outgrossed both Thor and both Captain America movies domestically on an _inflation-adjusted_ basis.

That means that literally more people have gone to see Deadpool than any of those four movies, and it's probably got 1/3 of its domestic theatrical run left.

Personally, I thought it was merely an ok movie, and nowhere near as good as say, The Winter Soldier.

But at this point I think I'm no longer representative of Deadpool's fanbase.

For him to be more popular than Thor or Cap among comic readers or cosplayers is one thing, but for the movie to be far more popular than even the 2nd Cap movie blows my mind.

More theatrics, all I am asking you to do is stop with the mocking smilies. It isn't a difficult request.

You are easily offended. You ought to learn how to have a discussion without having an emotional reaction. You are quick to accuse people of "mocking" (and Roy's not even the mocking type), but get offended when someone responds the same way to your mocking comments and memes, wondering out loud why people aren't getting your "joke."

As far as the hoard and resell, many dealers on here have confirmed this. independent collections have confirmed this and the steadily increasing nature of the census (versus and explosion that would happen in your example) relative to number of copies being sold confirms this. People are 100% sitting on multiple copies of this book and selling them a few at a time to maximize profits. Fact.

Do you have any proof of this?

Because it's contrary to the way the market works.

To the eBay comments: they are all straight descriptions about the sale of New Mutants 98 on eBay (this includes blue and yellow labels, no variants whatsoever) - I don't get what is hard to understand about the misleading nature of their comments. Yes some are misleading about the signatures themselves (also not rare in the slightest) but many are of blue label books. It is just a sampling and there are numerous others in sold comments and the hundreds that came before them. Sellers are misrepresenting the "rareness" of the book - this is an indisputable fact.

This is nothing new, and not confined to New Mutants #98. People overstate the things they are selling, and have since trading began.

Secondarily, you cannot make statements like "The majority of people spending money on comics know these books are not rare." You have zero proof of this and consumer education in market on virtually anything tells the opposite. People tend to believe sellers when they say something is rare and the statement is "plausible." Unless you are an avid collector you have no idea how many copies there are of NM 98, what the census looks like or even that it exists. Your statement is not only unsupportable, it isn't reasonable.

There are a couple of hundred copies of New Mutants #98 for sale on eBay right now, with several more hundred recently sold. Even the most cursory glance will tell even the freshest novice that this isn't rare. It isn't 1991 anymore, and buyers aren't confined to information from a few dealers.

While it's true that there are some ignorant consumers out there who don't pay attention and will believe anything they're told, that's not true of the majority of people. People naturally look to their own interests, so they're not going to be spending hundreds of dollars on anything without doing even a modicum of research about it first.

Lastly, it cannot be argued that Deadpool is now a cultural phenomena and people all over the world are currently seeking and will be seeking NM 98 as a result (as others have insinuated on here) and then not assume that a large portion of those people would HAVE to be new to comic collecting. People new to comic collecting have no prior knowledge of rareness and are the most subject to being lead falsely astray on rareness, value and other circumstances. It is reasonable to assert that these people are being mislead and that is contributing to the rise in price of a book that is so common (especially in high grade) that it is laughable.

Well said! :golfclap:

Nobody I know is deluded enough to think Deapool is a rare book, but they keep buying. Insanity does not justify its meausre but investors want high yield and they can't deny the performance of NM#98. Yes it could all end tomorrow, but so could any other book. That's why it's called speculating.

I don't think NM 98 pricing is anywhere near its long-term peak.

Because the movie really is that popular, even by Marvel U. standards.

Per Box Office Mojo, as of yesterday it has already outgrossed both Thor and both Captain America movies domestically on an _inflation-adjusted_ basis.

That means that literally more people have gone to see Deadpool than any of those four movies, and it's probably got 1/3 of its domestic theatrical run left.

Personally, I thought it was merely an ok movie, and nowhere near as good as say, The Winter Soldier.

But at this point I think I'm no longer representative of Deadpool's fanbase.

For him to be more popular than Thor or Cap among comic readers or cosplayers is one thing, but for the movie to be far more popular than even the 2nd Cap movie blows my mind.

Marketing marketing marketing.

They are pushing this movie like crack.

Gosh I wish I had been successfull in getting these when they were cheap.

But I would of blown them out when they hit $50 like I did with the NYX first app...or $30 like I did with Saga 1. I would have had to have misplaced them somewhere to have really done well.